IGNORED

Robins TV

Redandproud

I just signed in to Robins TV to purchase a pass to watch tonight’s coverage, a procedure I’ve followed countless times that usually takes me about two minutes, to be presented with a different screen layout to the one I’m accustomed to seeing and no way I can navigate my way to the usual page where you select the relevant “package” and pay by card.

It’s some weeks since I last did this. Has something changed that I’ve been unaware of, or is there some issue that others are also encountering? Any advice would be very welcome, thanks.

To save anyone the trouble of replying to the above, whatever glitch I was coming up against has now cleared itself. If anyone else has the same problem, for what it's worth, I signed out, restarted my PC, logged in again and it functioned normally. Who knows?

Edited by CliftonCliff

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

If it’s a smart TV it might have Google as an option. Then you just get onto Bristol Sport in the usual way 

With respect, I think this is probably not correct. You can use your Smart TV’s web browser (assuming it has one) to bring up the BCFC website and you may even be able to log in to your account, but I don’t think you can play content. If you look on the relevant Robins TV page, you’ll find that it states explicitly that it will not work on Smart TVs. 

The only way to watch RTV on your main TV that I’ve found to work is as advised by others elsewhere on this thread, by connecting your device to the television via HDMI cable. I’ am no IT expert and am happy to stand corrected if I’m wrong, but I’ve tried in various ways to get around this, sometimes with the help of a friend who actually is an IT professional, and the outcome has always been the same. No can do.

if that’s changed recently and someone can explain in plain English how it’s done, I and I’m sure many others would be very interested to hear about it.

13 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

With respect, I think this is probably not correct. You can use your Smart TV’s web browser (assuming it has one) to bring up the BCFC website and you may even be able to log in to your account, but I don’t think you can play content. If you look on the relevant Robins TV page, you’ll find that it states explicitly that it will not work on Smart TVs. 

The only way to watch RTV on your main TV that I’ve found to work is as advised by others elsewhere on this thread, by connecting your device to the television via HDMI cable. I’ am no IT expert and am happy to stand corrected if I’m wrong, but I’ve tried in various ways to get around this, sometimes with the help of a friend who actually is an IT professional, and the outcome has always been the same. No can do.

if that’s changed recently and someone can explain in plain English how it’s done, I and I’m sure many others would be very interested to hear about it.

As usual the info on Robins TV is not entirely correct. . I’ve watched it on my smart TV after opening Google on the TV. It may be that some TVs are compatible and some aren’t 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

As usual the info on Robins TV is not entirely correct. . I’ve watched it on my smart TV after opening Google on the TV. It may be that some TVs are compatible and some aren’t 

Were you watching one of the games available domestically, or did you run a vpn browser add on?

38 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

OK, well, thanks for that. I can certainly believe your first statement: no change there, then. (Is it just the usual sloppy, badly presented info, do you think, or are they actively trying to discourage us from watching content in this way? Not that I can think of anything they'd have to gain from the latter.)

I'd really appreciate a bit more detail on how you've done it, though, if you can spare the time and can bear to spell it out. It sounds simple, the way you've described it, but to the technologically challenged it's not entirely obvious. Are you saying you have logged into your personal Google account, navigated to the BCFC website from there by just entering the address in the search box, and then signed into BCFC/RTV with your account details? And it then just works as normal?

I'm pretty sure there's a fair few people would be interested, as I haven't seen anybody else say on OTIB that they've watched RTV on a smart tv by any method other than a HDMI cable from a PC or laptop to the television. (I do take the point about some televisions not being compatible, by the way, but mine is a fairly recent, relatively hi-spec Sony model and I would have expected it to be capable of what you're describing.) 

45 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Were you watching one of the games available domestically, or did you run a vpn browser add on?

I’ve watched domestic mid week games that were available in the UK, without a VPN. I haven’t done it this season as I’ve used a PC. I’m going to have to use the TV tonight so we’ll see if it still works. 

5 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

OK, well, thanks for that. I can certainly believe your first statement: no change there, then. (Is it just the usual sloppy, badly presented info, do you think, or are they actively trying to discourage us from watching content in this way? Not that I can think of anything they'd have to gain from the latter.)

I'd really appreciate a bit more detail on how you've done it, though, if you can spare the time and can bear to spell it out. It sounds simple, the way you've described it, but to the technologically challenged it's not entirely obvious. Are you saying you have logged into your personal Google account, navigated to the BCFC website from there by just entering the address in the search box, and then signed into BCFC/RTV with your account details? And it then just works as normal?

I'm pretty sure there's a fair few people would be interested, as I haven't seen anybody else say on OTIB that they've watched RTV on a smart tv by any method other than a HDMI cable from a PC or laptop to the television. (I do take the point about some televisions not being compatible, by the way, but mine is a fairly recent, relatively hi-spec Sony model and I would have expected it to be capable of what you're describing.) 

How did I do it?

1) Select Google on the home screen of the TV

2) Enter Bristol Sport into the Google search and then follow the same procedure as I would if I was using a PC. It was a bit long winded as I had to enter all the details using the TV remote keypad, which is slower than a keyboard. As mentioned above, I haven’t used the TV this season so I live in hope that nothing has changed and it still works. (I’m never confident with Bristol Sport). I’ll let you know if I succeed 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I’ve watched domestic mid week games that were available in the UK, without a VPN. I haven’t done it this season as I’ve used a PC. I’m going to have to use the TV tonight so we’ll see if it still works. 

How did I do it?

1) Select Google on the home screen of the TV

2) Enter Bristol Sport into the Google search and then follow the same procedure as I would if I was using a PC. It was a bit long winded as I had to enter all the details using the TV remote keypad, which is slower than a keyboard. As mentioned above, I haven’t used the TV this season so I live in hope that nothing has changed and it still works. (I’m never confident with Bristol Sport). I’ll let you know if I succeed 

Really appreciate you taking the trouble to spell it out, thanks. As it happens it is, in fact, pretty much what I've tried to do myself, but for whatever reason it hasn't worked. That may, however, say more about me than it does about the technology! I'll probably use one of my devices to watch tonight, but will have another go at this on a future occasion to see if I can crack it. (It may, as you say, be a compatibility issue that I can do nothing about.) In the meantime, thanks again for your help, hope it still works for you tonight as it has done on previous occasions, and above all, enjoy the game! Not expecting to get anything out of this one, to be honest, but you never know... 

14 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Really appreciate you taking the trouble to spell it out, thanks. As it happens it is, in fact, pretty much what I've tried to do myself, but for whatever reason it hasn't worked. That may, however, say more about me than it does about the technology! I'll probably use one of my devices to watch tonight, but will have another go at this on a future occasion to see if I can crack it. (It may, as you say, be a compatibility issue that I can do nothing about.) In the meantime, thanks again for your help, hope it still works for you tonight as it has done on previous occasions, and above all, enjoy the game! Not expecting to get anything out of this one, to be honest, but you never know... 

I have managed to get midweek Robins TV games on our Panasonic TV but it did buffer quite a bit and wasn't as good as watching on our desktop PC.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

I think this has been resolved. I was seeing the problem but the stream is now showing with the holding slide normally seen before coverage begins.

What a relief. Thanks all. Time for some snacks in the foyer with Pearl and Dean!

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1