IGNORED

Forwards

BCFCGav

33 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Sadly, I just haven’t seen anything from Cornick that I think suggests he should start or be subbed on unless we are defending a lead and need fresh legs. 

His off the ball workrate and aerial ability are probably the best of our three strikers, but he reminds me of Nagy on the ball. Looks like Bambi on ice. Maybe some confidence will change that but currently I’m utterly unsold on him.

I think with Cornick you have to look beyond the aesthetics of his running style and look what he actually does.  Just because he looks a bit ungainly, doesn’t mean he isn’t / cannot be effective.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

16 hours ago, Full nelson said:

Strikers in January are at a premium and I think we're stuck with what we have for the season. Hope they find form.

Strikers signed in January rarely solve a team's problems in the short term.

Generally they score 2 or 3 goals, and rarely get to 5 in the remainder of the season.

Exceptions occur of course but it's often a big waste of money.

• Flames 1

If we are looking for a bit more physicality (I don't necessarily mean target man) then I wouldn't mind having another look at Cauley Woodrow.  Scored goals at this level, and I don't think he is making Luton's match day squad at the moment (unless he is injured).  I doubt we will be spending £££ on fees either.

1 hour ago, AG City said:

If we are looking for a bit more physicality (I don't necessarily mean target man) then I wouldn't mind having another look at Cauley Woodrow.  Scored goals at this level, and I don't think he is making Luton's match day squad at the moment (unless he is injured).  I doubt we will be spending £££ on fees either.

Woodrow played best at Barnsley in the 10 role, but iirc isn't physically that strong nor quick. Type of signing we'd make under MA on decent wages with no real chance of progression or sell on.

Conway is the better player for me in that role.

Need to look down the leagues like Al-Hamadi at Wombles with the view to next season with Liam having a full preseason with them imo. Same for Mehmeti to an extent.

Wouldn't be against a loan to buy option in Jan.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think with Cornick you have to look beyond the aesthetics of his running style and look what he actually does.  Just because he looks a bit ungainly, doesn’t mean he isn’t / cannot be effective.

Really interested to see what he actually does other then “just put it about a bit and make a nuisance of himself”

He is terrible for this level and I honestly can’t believe we gave him a 3.5 year contract 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

Really interested to see what he actually does other then “just put it about a bit and make a nuisance of himself”

He is terrible for this level and I honestly can’t believe we gave him a 3.5 year contract 

In 21/22 he scored 13 “at this level”, in 19/20 he got 9.

I’m not saying that means he’s Viktor Gyokeres but there is clearly something there or he wouldn’t have played 200 games for Luton.

I think we need to stop giving him 15 minutes as a sub & decide whether he’s a part of the solution or not.

At present with Wells injured, Bell in the middle of a goal drought & Weimann not in great form either, no one else is scoring goals.

If he got 4 or 5 starts we would know whether we look to move him on in January or there’s enough there to persevere with him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Hear  hear.

He's competitive in the air, and can lay ball off well - we don't play anyone close enough to him to utilise this.

He can carry us up the pitch well - and win a throw or free kick.

Two things we massively struggle with otherwise.

I'd like to see him start with Conway playing off him.

And no, I've no idea how we set that up to best effect. Perhaps Liam can field that one?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Strikers signed in January rarely solve a team's problems in the short term.

Generally they score 2 or 3 goals, and rarely get to 5 in the remainder of the season.

Exceptions occur of course but it's often a big waste of money.

You're right. I'd rather we gave it a miss in Jan, but rather than back NP in the summer ... <obvious shade thrown around the suits/owner>, we've left ourselves open to getting ripped off through desperation/bad planning.

Louis Diony anyone?

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It was £1m & we spent the money we had on Knight, there wasn’t enough made available to sign both.

So to bring in a quality forward its gonna,cost all of that now charles at Bolton etc i wonder what his value is the striker needs to have pace a holding type that scores goals .

Edited by Cityboy1954

Billy Sharp available for free in Jan.. whilst I don’t see him as a permanent solution by any means, especially given his age. Could someone like him be really good to have around the squad? I’m sure the younger lads would learn a thing or two, and I think he’d still be capable of chipping in with an odd goal here and there. 

Like others have said rarely do you find the perfect signing in January that hits the ground running, that will be more of a summer transfer window objective I imagine. Maybe a short term deal for someone who knows the division might be the way to go for the time being 🤔 

On 29/11/2023 at 21:53, BCFCGav said:

Struggling this season aren’t they? Really good set of options on paper but just not happening for any of them. 

Bell is anonymous when on the pitch of late, and Conway is really struggling to find his killer instinct from last season. Mehmeti can also really struggle to get into games. You’d be forgiven for not realising when Weimann has come on!

I’d say Sykes and Cornick are the the ones whose levels have more or less held from last season, and I’d be giving Cornick a start on Sunday.

I wonder - does Wells bring out the best from those around him? I think we miss him more than some realise.

Cornick brings a whole new meaning to headless chicken but I agree that Wells by his experience improves the others around him. The big lad from Bora who scored the second goal shows just what we are lacking

19 hours ago, Fuber said:

Woodrow played best at Barnsley in the 10 role, but iirc isn't physically that strong nor quick. Type of signing we'd make under MA on decent wages with no real chance of progression or sell on.

Conway is the better player for me in that role.

Need to look down the leagues like Al-Hamadi at Wombles with the view to next season with Liam having a full preseason with them imo. Same for Mehmeti to an extent.

Wouldn't be against a loan to buy option in Jan.

With Mehmeti we just need to teach him to kick with his left foot. He is soooo predictable with the ball at his feet always having to check onto his right foot. Defenders wake up to this and send hi down blind alleys. Perhaps with LM's promise to improve current players Mehmeti can learn that the left foot has a use other than standing.

On 29/11/2023 at 22:44, cidercity1987 said:

Play Conway in his best position and we will be motoring. In the absence of any decent attacking midfielder he needs to be drifting off into that space to feed the wide players/striker in front of him.

I still think he is frightened to run flat out after the hamstring injury.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

With Mehmeti we just need to teach him to kick with his left foot. He is soooo predictable with the ball at his feet always having to check onto his right foot. Defenders wake up to this and send hi down blind alleys. Perhaps with LM's promise to improve current players Mehmeti can learn that the left foot has a use other than standing.

To be fair: Tins had a magical left foot and his right was only to stop him falling over!