IGNORED

Data + Data Collection

BCFC Rich

You sometimes get inaccuracies in the data the big companies provide if they log something wrong after all they just have someone who’s paid to log a game it’s not a Norwich person logging it for them. When something is wrong they’ll just shrug as well. You can also then collect data for the exact metrics you want by your definitions as well, not taking the best sounding ones that the data provides offer. Obviously relies on your person logging the game correctly but now any error is on you so it’s your responsibility. You can also likely have the data available sooner as well, as soon as a match finishes hand the footage to the analyst/data guy and they can crack on and probably take a few hours vs next day for data provider 

40 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

You sometimes get inaccuracies in the data the big companies provide if they log something wrong after all they just have someone who’s paid to log a game it’s not a Norwich person logging it for them. When something is wrong they’ll just shrug as well. You can also then collect data for the exact metrics you want by your definitions as well, not taking the best sounding ones that the data provides offer. Obviously relies on your person logging the game correctly but now any error is on you so it’s your responsibility. You can also likely have the data available sooner as well, as soon as a match finishes hand the footage to the analyst/data guy and they can crack on and probably take a few hours vs next day for data provider 

Do you reckon they re-code their opponents stuff too?

If they don’t, they will be comparing apples and pears - depending on what they’re trying to measure I guess.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you reckon they re-code their opponents stuff too?

If they don’t, they will be comparing apples and pears - depending on what they’re trying to measure I guess.

I’d say yes for a game by game to see how they compared but probably not in terms of league as a whole as it would mean they’d have to code every game in the league to get a result of how they rank in the league for it. Either that or they’ve teamed up with a really advanced AI programme which you can customise to recognise things happening. Its the next stage in sports analysis and people are starting to try working it out 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I’d say yes for a game by game to see how they compared but probably not in terms of league as a whole as it would mean they’d have to code every game in the league to get a result of how they rank in the league for it. Either that or they’ve teamed up with a really advanced AI programme which you can customise to recognise things happening. Its the next stage in sports analysis and people are starting to try working it out 

Makes sense.

In their own stuff I can see why they’d want their own metrics.

Someone I know sent me some positional data profiles from a Lg1 club’s recruitment head (not Rovers!!!).  There were data points in there that certainly aren’t in Wyscout.  I suspect they are in Statsbomb and that’s how they're building their player lists.  Very data driven, based on the managers needs.  They certainly wouldn’t be going down the bespoke data route!

It’s very interesting to see what they see as key attributes for certain positions.  And also specific to the demands of Lg1 too.