IGNORED

Wes Burns

Eddie Notgetinya

I liked Wes.

Not saying I ever expected him to be a first choice player in a side who are top two in our division but always thought he had something about him.

Got there the hard way too, via a fair few years slogging away at Fleetwood.

Don’t think too many had him down as the player we would let go & he’d make the Prem, but absolutely fair play to him.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I liked Wes.

Not saying I ever expected him to be a first choice player in a side who are top two in our division but always thought he had something about him.

Don’t think too many had him down as the player we would let go & he’d make the Prem, but absolutely fair play to him.

Just shows what playing with confidence can do for an average player.

I guess it shows some players just take longer to develop , when he was with us he looked a bang avarage league 1 player but he's come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years, bit of a shame the club didn't stick with him as he's just the sort of player who would do well for us the way we play 

35 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I liked Wes.

I liked him too, but it’s worth remembering he left us as a striker or right-sided forward and wasn’t made into the RWB he is now until much later.

Szmodics is the one that annoys me now as he would walk into our team and system right now. Burns, I’m not so sure unless we play with wing-backs. 

When Burns first came into the City side he was quick enough to catch pigeons but lacked composure. Now I don't think he's so quick but he has a better all round game, certainly one that fits the system that Ipswich play. 

Szmodics clearly didn't show enough in training to get in the City team and didn't pull up any trees when he moved to Peterborough but he's found a niche at Blackburn. 

I have no problem with our moving them on. Their performances now have no bearing on whether they'd be performing well in a City shirt. They're just a couple of examples of the minimal number of players who have thrived after leaving City rather than the majority who have sunk without trace. 

• Like 1

I think it also shows that players can’t develop unless you give them opportunities. Obviously there is a fair argument that Burns’ potential wasn’t obvious enough and that you can’t always wait for five years for a player with potential to come good but I do wonder how Burns would have done with us if he was coming through now, when there is a culture of giving academy players a chance.

• Like 1

For those saying that some players take time to develop - hope you're not suggesting we should have kept him as a bit part player until the last couple of seasons. He's 29 now (which makes me feel old), he needed his time at Fleetwood and Ipswich to give him the chance of being the player he is now and was never going to do it here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think it also shows that players can’t develop unless you give them opportunities. Obviously there is a fair argument that Burns’ potential wasn’t obvious enough and that you can’t always wait for five years for a player with potential to come good but I do wonder how Burns would have done with us if he was coming through now, when there is a culture of giving academy players a chance.

Wes actually made 44 league appearances for us, but nearly all as a sub.

You could argue therefore he was given his chance but neither Cotts or LJ saw enough to give him a go as a regular starter.

I always thought he was best wide right but has clearly flourished as a RWB.