IGNORED

The Basics.

George Rs

Cant conceive why we can’t go 90mins without kicking a 5 yard pass out of play at least 4 times, just doesn’t happen with other teams it feels like. 

Every week, either they are pearollers that dissuade any forward momentum or just go barrelling out of play 2 yards ahead of our wingers.

It happened with Nige and now with manning, I just struggle to understand how professionals do that on such a consistent basis. They mostly happen in the second half so maybe fatigue factors in, but still feels like it happens way more then it should.

Edited by George Rs

Just now, George Rs said:

Cant conceive why we can’t go 90mins without kicking a 5 yard pass out of play at least 4 times, just doesn’t happen with other teams it feels like. 

Every week, either they are pearollers that dissuade any forward moment or just go barrelling out of play 2 yards ahead of our wingers.

Exactly. It was embarrassing today!

• Like 1

Maybe I am wrong but the problem seems to me to be that Manning wants the players to keep possession and build patiently but some players are much better at that than others and the ones that let it down make the whole approach look ridiculous.

I think Tanner, James and Dickie -and probably Sykes -  all managed to pretty much keep the ball consistently each time they got it. Vyner did most of the time but his lapses cost us. I felt Pring, Weimann and Williams in particular were wasteful and that massively undermines the patient build-up approach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Maybe I am wrong but the problem seems to me to be that Manning wants the players to keep possession and build patiently but some players are much better at that than others and the ones that let it down make the whole approach look ridiculous.

I think Tanner, James and Dickie -and probably Sykes -  all managed to pretty much keep the ball consistently each time they got it. Vyner did most of the time but his lapses cost us. I felt Pring, Weimann and Williams in particular were wasteful and that massively undermines the patient build-up approach.

Yeah but Tanner did that because 95% of his passes are back to one of the centre backs- so frustrating to watch because I think he has the attributes to be a solid right back at this level 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MC RISK77 said:

Yeah but Tanner did that because 95% of his passes are back to one of the centre backs- so frustrating to watch because I think he has the attributes to be a solid right back at this level 

Sure - but that was the option he has most of the time. It is frustrating there was often nothing better on than a pass backwards or sideways but Tanner kept the ball whereas trying to make a pass that often wasn’t on wouldn’t have done that. 

There are obviously pros and cons - it is good to be in possession but sometimes a speculative ball can produce a breakthrough - but I strongly suspect Tanner was following what he had been instructed to do in not ceding possession unnecessarily.

7 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Tanner played a lot of the game further forward and hugging the touch line. He is not that player. His crossing was limp, passing iffy and touch terrible. 

However I agree with your thrust. He’s a full back. 

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Sure - but that was the option he has most of the time. It is frustrating there was often nothing better on than a pass backwards or sideways but Tanner kept the ball whereas trying to make a pass that often wasn’t on wouldn’t have done that. 

There are obviously pros and cons - it is good to be in possession but sometimes a speculative ball can produce a breakthrough - but I strongly suspect Tanner was following what he had been instructed to do in not ceding possession unnecessarily.

Yes. Exactly

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Agreed, but I also always feel when he has space in front of him to carry us forward he is very hesitant, he is not short of pace so why not attack the space harder, get yourself further forward then maybe your pass option becomes one of our midfielders rather than vyner.

Avid readers will know that I’ve been mentioning this for quite some time (under Pearson as well as Manning).

The basics - it’s not just the obvious ones that we saw about 6 times today where they pass a 10 yard ball out of play. 
But it’s the momentum shifting ones - passing it too slow or over hitting it, or putting it a yard behind a player rather than in his stride, making him check and thus nullifies any attacking momentum. 

We have been very poor at the ‘basics’ for quite some time. 

• Like 2