IGNORED

ENJOYMENT

20 minutes ago, BS13 Robin said:

Its not just the last 3 games though is it,most games we come out for the second half and the opposition have a good go at us and we always look like we might concede!

True, it does feel like it’s happened far too often. I couldn’t be bothered to go any further back to get more stats though.

• Like 1

Personally I think the 2 home games so far under Manning have been more entertaining than most of the stuff served up in the last 4 years. 
We’ve had possession (yes sometimes slow), but it’s resulted in more shots and more shots on target. 
Hasn’t the main issue for most people in recent years been the lack of shots. Well, we’ve doubled the average in the last 2 home games. 

The reason it ‘felt’ like a boring game today was because the crowd was silent. Crowds and atmosphere have a huge influence on how people perceive the excitement levels of matches. If the game is played in virtual silence it seems to drag. 

Today, the chances created and general possession play was good - in the main. And Norwich also had a number of shots and hit the post. It wasn’t a boring game, but it was played in a very boring and silent arena. 

Edited by Harry
  • Flames 2

Every style of play has a place but to play without much ambition in the second half was unforgivable.  the time wasted passing along the back line, partly due to the lack of movement from our players further up the pitch, was just awful. With the clock ticking down we must surely expect our team to throw the kitchen sink at a poor and teetering opposition team. I was very disappointed and surprised to see that LM was not fuming at his players.  Maybe they are carrying out his instructions to the letter.  If so, may the Lord of Hosts be with us. We will need him.

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bristol City could I suppose bolster their revenue by marketing the video of today's game as an assistance with insomnia and similar conditions.

That didn't work for me. I'm in Perth at the moment and watched on Robins TB. Game finished just before 1130pm local time. I was so cross/feed up with the performance & result I couldn't relax and get to sleep 🙄. I fear that when I'm back and get to my next game on Jan 1st, our points tally will be the same.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Personally I think the 2 home games so far under Manning have been more entertaining than most of the stuff served up in the last 4 years. 
We’ve had possession (yes sometimes slow), but it’s resulted in more shots and more shots on target. 
Hasn’t the main issue for most people in recent years been the lack of shots. Well, we’ve doubled the average in the last 2 home games. 

The reason it ‘felt’ like a boring game today was because the crowd was silent. Crowds and atmosphere have a huge influence on how people perceive the excitement levels of matches. If the game is played in virtual silence it seems to drag. 

Today, the chances created and general possession play was good - in the main. And Norwich also had a number of shots and hit the post. It wasn’t a boring game, but it was played in a very boring and silent arena. 

Absolutely this. Way better football IMO. We can’t even do our job as supporters, and all we have to do is make some noise. 

12 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

That was the worst atmosphere at Ashton Gate that I've ever known.

I'm not over reacting when I say it was on par with the 6 nil loss to Cardiff. It was genuinely that bad. 

Watched a stream - every time it cut to the crowd all I could see were yawns, frowns and looks of utter boredom.

A season of this and ticket sales next year won't be great.

In all honestly we'd probably sell more if we went down.

At least we'd win a few more in L1

The game, even with 3 goals, hitting the woodwork etc was a horrible watch.

18 hours ago, Robin101 said:

I’d actually be interested to read more about why this style of football suddenly seems to have completely swept through the football league like a new strain of Covid. 

Every team seems to try and play it. The best chances every team creates each week seems to be when they nick it off the opposition centre back trying to play like Xavi.

Is this Pep Guardiola’s influence or something else?

I think this style is on the way out in the Prem. Pep sticks with it but Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs have become far more direct.

13 hours ago, Harry said:

Its a Chicken and Egg situation. When the team produces boring football the crowd loses engagement and it goes quiet. On Sunday we were clutching at straws, every won tackle each corner each mini break the crowd got up but with the ball moving endlessly sideways and backwards just brings everybody down

I think it's more a question of execution than style.

When a team isn't quite clicking, then the right passing options won't be there. When players have no obvious option and no confidence to try something, they play safe.

The difference in style shows in what "safe" means. These days it means "go backwards and keep possession". Traditionally it meant "get it as far down the field as you can". Either way, the result is unsatisfying.

I can remember so many discussions here when games have consisted of endless punts downfield, and supporters complaining about the poor football. I always maintained that it was never the intention to kick the ball to nobody, just a failure in execution. The same is most likely true now, but with a different style of poor football.

One of the things we've become incapable of making use of is balls down the channels..can hardly remember one on Saturday...always going wide. Trouble is we have too few players get into positions where anyone receiving the ball has anyone to pass to....need desperately players getting more forward to support Conway / Cornick...all play too far apart and defences pick us off far too easily before we become a threat.

42 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think this style is on the way out in the Prem. Pep sticks with it but Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs have become far more direct.

Possession football can take multiple different forms. Possession stats are an indicator of intent.

I'd say they and a range of PL sides all play possession football but in different ways. Those 3 are possibly more varied than Man City but they enjoy quite a lot of the ball, most of the time.

42 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Its a Chicken and Egg situation. When the team produces boring football the crowd loses engagement and it goes quiet. On Sunday we were clutching at straws, every won tackle each corner each mini break the crowd got up but with the ball moving endlessly sideways and backwards just brings everybody down

The point is, the atmosphere was flat as a witch’s t*t, even before kick-off, so I don’t think it’s just down to the football being played.

Maybe the early kick-off had something to do with it, because the Nowich fans were surprisingly quiet too.

From a personal perspective, after the manner of the Pearson sacking, I just feel a massive disconnect with the club atm and the general optimism I had for the future seemed to instantly evaporate due to that single action.  

I’m still attending the games, but just don’t have the enthusiasm to get more involved than that.  If there are many others with similar feelings, this might go some way to explaining the particularly sudued atmosphere at the moment.

• Like 1

The only time I’ve felt as disillusioned with the club is when Holden was appointed. I’m at 20 home games in a row without a win now. We’re not Real Madrid or Bayern, so I don’t expect us to win every game, but it’s not the defeats that bother me, it’s the lies.

Still have tickets for the Sunderland game though. Maybe I’m to blame.