IGNORED

Mark Sykes…

formerly known as ivan

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

He took a knock not long beforehand & went off a Saints with cramp.

I knew there would be a Weimann pile on because we lost, he was ok today, offered far more than either Mehmeti or Bell did when they came on.

No, his effect was to mostly run backwards towards our goal and point or wave his arms around. His error by taking the ball inside caused their goal. 

Sykes was played out of position just to accommodate Wiemann. He’s not the player of a couple of years ago, should not be a starter again.  

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

It seems to me that sometimes modern coaches do something they think is funky because they believe it shows how sophisticated they are.

Quite what Manning thought playing Sykes ludicrously out of position would achieve defeats me.

Sometimes you have to play people out of position as a necessity but that wasn't the case today. I hope it's a one off.

Yeah, agreed. Think Manning is trying a bit too hard to be clever, hoping that Sykes cutting inside onto his favoured foot from the wings would be like Robben/ Ribery at Bayern years back. I think Sykes has been a stand out this season, but peak Robben he is not. Really missed his direct running down the wings (except for the ten minutes where we had it, and we scored from it)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

No, his effect was to mostly run backwards towards our goal and point or wave his arms around. His error by taking the ball inside caused their goal. 

Sykes was played out of position just to accommodate Wiemann. He’s not the player of a couple of years ago, should not be a starter again.  

I don’t know why we don’t try Andi up top on his own sometimes- he’s somewhere between the movement/pacey style of Conway and the work rate/pressing of Cornick. Neither of those two on their own really work, so surely a mix of the two would be a winner. OR it wouldn’t work(more likely). I wouldn’t even say no to seeing Bell through the middle and trying to hit balls long for him to run on to- Norwich seemed to have a pretty high line at times, and he has got pace

• Hmmm 1