IGNORED

Where are our brilliant forwards then?

Reefer Madness

17 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Out of form, but also missing Wells/not suited to a lone striker role??

If I’m honest, what strikes me about him is that he’s not even a handful for one decent defender. Someone like Diedhiou, for all his other faults, was a presence that kept two or three defenders occupied. 

Yep maybe.

Obvious but Tommy (at his best) is a poacher, a finisher.

He’s not particularly quick or athletic in the way Antoine is, so either Wells (clever movement) or Cornick (physical stuff, a runner) would probably help him.

Guess that would mean a tweak in how we play, Knight not so far forward?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Harry said:

Also. Did anyone see our goal today? 
It was a period of slow possession across the back 4 before it finally opened up the space for Dickie to play a forward pass to Knight, who layed a first time ball to Weimann, who took 1 touch and played a ball out wide to Sykes in plenty of space to make a cross. 
The possession allowed us to create the passing lane for the ball to Knight and also to create the space wide for Sykes. 
I thought it was very good. 

If keeping the ball along the back 4 helps to create great passages of incisive play as we saw for the goal, then I don’t know what there is to complain about! 

Isn't it more the one-touch stuff, or moving the ball quickly, that opens teams up, rather than the slow possession amongst the back four?

If the defenders build up slowly and then the forward players take umpteen touches, or go back and sideways, then most opposition will cope comfortably, most of the time. Even ourselves will cope with slow play from opponents, for the most part.

Playing it first time and quickly involves taking risks and risking failure, and testing the patience of the crowd if and when it doesn't come off. The players need to be brave. Manning's job is to foster courage and confidence, and shoulder the flak when it goes wrong.

The crowd need to see it working - at home - often enough, to develop "belief" and patience. Seeing is believing.

And all this while picking up enough points to keep well clear of the bottom 6 or 7.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

None so blind...

I've got a bloke sat behind me who just spends the game shouting "FORWARD" at the top of his voice.

He was going nuts yesterday with all the ball retension and passing :laughcont:

You obviously sit near me.

Absolute plankton, he also shouts “get out” at every single corner we defend.

Always wondered what Arsene Wenger was doing in his retirement..

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You obviously sit near me.

Absolute plankton, he also shouts “get out” at every single corner we defend.

Always wondered what Arsene Wenger was doing in his retirement..

@GrahamC I take it that with only 2 fouls per side and no City offsides the linesman on the Dolman side got a particularly easy ride from you yesterday? 🤣

Just now, NcnsBcfc said:

@GrahamC I take it that with only 2 fouls per side and no City offsides the linesman on the Dolman side got a particularly easy ride from you yesterday? 🤣

Gavin Ward is one of the worst refs around but he didn’t influence the game much.

The linesman opposite side to me seemed abysmal, in a soporific crowd there were a number of decisions that seemed to infuriate the slumbering “masses”.

There were definitely offsides, pretty sure TC was (rightly) given so twice.

50 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Isn't it more the one-touch stuff, or moving the ball quickly, that opens teams up, rather than the slow possession amongst the back four?

If the defenders build up slowly and then the forward players take umpteen touches, or go back and sideways, then most opposition will cope comfortably, most of the time. Even ourselves will cope with slow play from opponents, for the most part.

Playing it first time and quickly involves taking risks and risking failure, and testing the patience of the crowd if and when it doesn't come off. The players need to be brave. Manning's job is to foster courage and confidence, and shoulder the flak when it goes wrong.

The crowd need to see it working - at home - often enough, to develop "belief" and patience. Seeing is believing.

And all this while picking up enough points to keep well clear of the bottom 6 or 7.

It’s a fair point. By nature of football any pass is risk vs reward and the balance is making sure you get it right. Under Manning, our ball retention has generally been good but most passes are 100-0 or 90-10 in our favour. That won’t bring sides onto you and is unlikely to create openings. By the same token, you don’t want many 50-50 balls played up the pitch. 

The sweet spot is the 60-40 ball in your favour - interesting enough to draw opponents in but in your advantage enough that you can create a chance from it. I’m not sure we play enough of these (or even 70-30) currently 

• Like 2

We lack a bit of depth / quality. I’d always have Tommy upfront but with a partner , he seems to play best when Wells is with him . He has missed a few but importantly we’re creating chances and he’s getting on the end of them . 
Don’t think that he can lead the line on his own . 

Tommy isn't a lone striker, none of our strikers can do that role,

It's stupid yo set up with a lone striker, you should play to your players strengths and we are not doing that,

The players look confused and scared of trying anything and that comes from the head coach, we've already noticed the difference in vyner, I feel more will follow suit,

That isn't mannings fault, but at this level we can't afford to implement a new style of play halfway through a season which is why the sacking of Pearson has pissed so many people off,

The slow predictable football is causing the lack of atmosphere, and the obsession with keeping possession does not win you games

If this mess isn't sorted out quickly then we will be worrying what the bottom 3 are doing not waiting for tinnion to rejoin twitter to gloat

Edited by Monkeh

Easy header away at Southampton. 
1 on 1 v Boro. 
1 on 1 v Southampton. 
Good run; pass from Sykes, shot straight at keeper v Norwich. 
Soft shot straight to keepers hands v Norwich. 

The question of - He plays better with a partner. If Wells was playing then; does Conway finish those chances! 

Those chances have been missed because he missed them. He doesn’t score those just because another player is his strike partner. 

2 hours ago, shelts said:

We lack a bit of depth / quality. I’d always have Tommy upfront but with a partner , he seems to play best when Wells is with him . He has missed a few but importantly we’re creating chances and he’s getting on the end of them . 
Don’t think that he can lead the line on his own . 

Does that then leave us light in midfield and enable the opposition to outpass and outrun us?

2 v 3 in the modern game at this level let alone above, is a problem, how do we set up if we have Wells and Conway say.

4 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

None so blind...

I've got a bloke sat behind me who just spends the game shouting "FORWARD" at the top of his voice.

That could so easily be me. The opponents goalmouth is in their half not ours. Bloody modern football.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Does that then leave us light in midfield and enable the opposition to outpass and outrun us?

2 v 3 in the modern game at this level let alone above, is a problem, how do we set up if we have Wells and Conway say.

Plenty of options I’d say 

5 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

None so blind...

Yeh, not surprised Jon Lansdown keeps shouting "FORWARD" as his neck is on the line.

Just pass him some crayons next time.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As per a post on another thread last night, to have 2 upfront we need to go to 3 at the back. My preference would be a 3-4-1-2 formation with Knight behind a combination of Conway plus one other. I would put Weimann ahead of Cornick for that role while Wells is out because at least Weimann can also score goals at this level. But even Cornick in a pair with Conway would be better than the current formation.

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

As per a post on another thread last night, to have 2 upfront we need to go to 3 at the back. My preference would be a 3-4-1-2 formation with Knight behind a combination of Conway plus one other. I would put Weimann ahead of Cornick for that role while Wells is out because at least Weimann can also score goals at this level. But even Cornick in a pair with Conway would be better than the current formation.

Could be worth a look, but great back to a back 3 after spending most of the year in and around 4-3-3. It would assist with the being outnumbered in central areas and the shape bit aside, could have merit- Cornick e.g. wasn't on his own up front when he played at Luton.

I suppose Naismith- were he fit- could help with switching between the 2 in-game too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

We were short of a Striker at the start of the season and nothing has changed that thinking.

Best attacker playing left wingback.

Bell is talked up far to much beyond his abilities.

Wienmann best days are gone.

Its the club - Management and Directors that are as much as an excuse as the players.

Conway will come good but needs some time and also always looks better with Wells in the team.

Wells is greatly under estimated what he brings to the teams but again probably needs replacing at the end of the season.

The front 3 needs a overhaul very quickly if we are to progress.

And a midfielder and maybe a goalkeeper…

But let’s be honest most said this at the start of the season.

Why everyone at the club can see it but not those who count can’t is hard to say It could be just down to money.

But the more you look at you have to say Nige was a great manager to work with what the club would give a manager.

Manning is a complete unknown how he will adjusts to the club and this is key because not sure the club(the board) or to a point the fans will adjust to him very difficult to gauge at this point. 

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well I foresee us getting overrun in midfield with the 4-4-2, passed around, outrun etc. Conway behind Wells could solve an issue or 2 though, time will tell.

Thanks for your insight . Set your stall out and not worry about the opposition!!