IGNORED

Negatives/Positives From The Game

bcfc01

Negatives

The chances missed - again. 

Overplaying -  there were a few times around their area, in the second half particulary, where we seemed to want to walk the ball into the net instead of getting shot off. That keeper was dodgy imo and we should have tested him a bit more in that respect (in fact, their defence was dodgy imo).

Passing around at the back - there was very little movement ahead of the back four for most of the game and, whilst Vyner and Dickie both had good games but they didn't have much as an outlet, consequently there was a bit too much passing around at the back.

Sykes on the left - I thought that was a mistake that LM rectified after half an hour and he came into the game, but he then played Sykes wide left in the second half and eventually subbed him.

The substitutions - Williams was a good call as he did well and drove us forward, but taking off Sykes was a big mistake imo. I think he would have had a big input in that last 20 minutes where we were pinning them back. No one around me could understand why he was hooked, he didn't look injured but he did look pissed off.

Player performances - Mehmeti, Weimann, Conway, all poor.

Positives

Stats (from Flashscore) - for those that like their Xg (I don't) we were 1.16 with Norwich being .52. We had 60% possession and 16 attempts at goal with 6 on target (it didn't feel like that). Although Norwich had 17 attempts with 4 on target (again, didn't feel like that). Their keeper made 5 saves, Max 2.

Chances - we made a few decent chances which Tommy would have netted last season, he'd be close to double figures if he'd taken the chances he's had over the last 3 games.

Player performance - Dickie looked very comfortable with the ball (again) and had a good all round game. Wiliams played well when he came on. Others were ok (other than those mentioned above).

Its another game of missed opportunities and, whilst there is a distinct, noticeable, improvement in ball retention, scoring remains a problem. I like the way we are trying to build from the back and not lumping it into the channels or up to Tommy for their CB to head back which has been a feature for a while. I think some patience is required to let LMs ideas bed in, and patience for Tommy who looks out of form and a bit dejected, he'll come good again.

All opinion, tear it apart at will :)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Negatives

Overplaying -  there were a few times around their area, in the second half particulary, where we seemed to want to walk the ball into the net instead of getting shot off. That keeper was dodgy imo and we should have tested him a bit more in that respect (in fact, their defence was dodgy imo).

Passing around at the back - there was very little movement ahead of the back four for most of the game and, whilst Vyner and Dickie both had good games but they didn't have much as an outlet, consequently there was a bit too much passing around at the back.

Sykes on the left - I thought that was a mistake that LM rectified after half an hour and he came into the game, but he then played Sykes wide left in the second half and eventually subbed him.

The substitutions - Williams was a good call as he did well and drove us forward, but taking off Sykes was a big mistake imo. I think he would have had a big input in that last 20 minutes where we were pinning them back. No one around me could understand why he was hooked, he didn't look injured but he did look pissed off.

Positives

Stats (from Flashscore) - for those that like their Xg (I don't) we were 1.16 with Norwich being .52. We had 60% possession and 16 attempts at goal with 6 on target (it didn't feel like that). Although Norwich had 17 attempts with 4 on target (again, didn't feel like that). Their keeper made 5 saves, Max 2.

Chances - we made a few decent chances which Tommy would have netted last season, he'd be close to double figures if he'd taken the chances he's had over the last 3 games.

Player performance - Dickie looked very comfortable with the ball (again) and had a good all round game. Wiliams played well when he came on. Others were ok (other than those mentioned above).

Its another game of missed opportunities and, whilst there is a distinct, noticeable, improvement in ball retention, scoring remains a problem. I like the way we are trying to build from the back and not lumping it into the channels or up to Tommy for their CB to head back which has been a feature for a while. I think some patience is required to let LMs ideas bed in, and patience for Tommy who looks out of form and a bit dejected, he'll come good again.

I think it’s quite telling that our best 3 players today (Knight, Gardner-Hickman, Dickie) all joined the club in the summer. That really reflects what NP had to work with before, and also that if he had been allowed to get a striker of a similar calibre with some of the Scott money in the summer, we might be a bit further up the league table now.

• Like 5

Totally agree with a lot of what you say , people will be frustrated with the ball being knocked around the back more than usual especially with us not getting any points from the game , if we win that game peoples perspectives are totally different the problem is at the moment we do have a few players ( mainly forwards out of form ) we are definitely playing more football rather than lumping it - however it’s a result business, should never have lost that today but I’m afraid I’ve been saying that for the last 5 years who ever the manager is 

• Like 3

We needed, if anything, evolution not revolution. The club have made a big mistake if they want to change everything mid-season. 
We were solid if unspectacular under the previous manager but were seeing signs of progress regardless of the injuries and sales of our best players. It appeared that we just needed a tweak here and there and one or two quality additions to the squad to challenge the top six. 
I fear we’ve thrown the baby out with the bath water. 

• Flames 2
  • Robin 1

24 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Negatives

Positives

Thanks for this: certainly not wanting to tear it apart. It’s a balanced reflection on a day when there’s a fair amount of hysteria and over-reaction on here. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Passing around at the back - there was very little movement ahead of the back four for most of the game

Think this is the key reason for me why things look so dull at the minute. Until we start to look confident on the ball and we create movement for options to pass to, things will get worse. We look far too predictable, robotic, no spontaneity or creative spark. We also invite pressure onto ourselves because we have few options. What is worse is that for me a lot of the players look inhibited to move out of position, no instinctive play. I’d reference James, Bell, Conway and Pring especially. Their early season form and forays forward seem to have been curbed to the detriment of the team. Or seem completely isolated. I also think we built a team to be fit and try to press but the games I’ve seen have lacked a press from the front and any feeling of energy. No wonder the atmosphere is crap at Ashton Gate. 

I went today with a friend who’s a Newcastle fan, doesn’t know that much about us so no agendas etc. His main observation was no movement, too slow in moving the ball around, predictable, poor quality overall execution when we got ourselves in good positions.

The thing is, this possession based football is not dull and crap when played at it’s best. But at the minute we look like novices at it. Which currently we are. We may not also be good enough or suited to play at it, at least enough to get us into the play offs. At the moment we look like we’re playing football by numbers from a manual. But we have to still give the guy time. And more pertinently, investment for more quality additions who can play this football.

Forget top six crap from Lansdown. This is about build again for next season. I hope it comes off and we get some great flowing football. But I’m sorry today was undoubtedly dull and distinctly mediocre. And that was nothing to do with possession football, it was to do with us struggling with playing with it.

• Like 2

TBF, Conway, Bell, and Pring haven't showed last seasons form at any time this season.

Bell was doing ok, then tailed off some time ago (pre-Manning), same for Pring, Conway has been out injured and came back out of form (other than Rotherham for 30 minutes). His movement has got him into good areas where he's missed quite a few chances including one-on-ones. 

But the movement in front of the back four isn't good and needs working on.

At least we are getting chances though, even if we are missing them...

Agreed that this squad is nowhere near a top 6 squad, far too thin in numbers and quality. I think most supporters are of that mind and have been since the start of the season. JLs clumsy words has created a problem that shouldn't really be there.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Thanks for this: certainly not wanting to tear it apart. It’s a balanced reflection on a day when there’s a fair amount of hysteria and over-reaction on here. 

Same after every defeat unfortunately.

But there are some normally sensible posters joining in tonight.

• Like 2

I keep seeing people mentioned “chances” but I don’t know what chances these were?

Sykes smashed one wide just before the goal, then there was the goal, then Conway forced a save. I can’t remember any other chances. What ones am I missing?

Norwich seemed to have more. Blasting one over the bar, hitting the post, few long range efforts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

TBF, Conway, Bell, and Pring haven't showed last seasons form at any time this season.

True, they haven’t set the same standards as last year. But still maintain that they look void of confidence to do the things they are good at. And look inhibited to try. I just think that it’s going to take time and new players if this style is to work. And yes it was incredibly clumsy and naive of JL framing this as some sort of on the grass coaching that will get us top six, top half or whatever this season. Of course it could in this crazy league, but looks pretty unlikely from what I’ve witnessed so far. If Manning can get a top ten finish with evidence of performances coming together to give us hope of real progression and a tangible challenge next season, then I think we are all realistic enough to take that as a positive for this season.

• Like 2

Just now, ray savino said:

If Manning can get a top ten finish with evidence of performances coming together to give us hope of real progression and a tangible challenge next season, then I think we are all realistic enough to take that as a positive for this season.

Well, most sensible people will take that as a positive but others (in the vast minority in the overall supporter base) who quote JLs top six quote as some sort of literal goal for the new manager won't. 

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

who quote JLs top six quote as some sort of literal goal for the new manager won't.

I think that this whole episode is of their making in how they handled it, and it’s on their heads whether it proves right or wrong. But yes, all this stuff about the top six and results driven was just PR fluff to justify their actions. It seems pretty clear that it’s going to take some time for the squad to be developed to be able to play this style to a level to seriously be a consistent challenger for the top six. Well at least the remainder of this season in my opinion. Any sooner and it will be a very welcome bonus.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I keep seeing people mentioned “chances” but I don’t know what chances these were?

Sykes smashed one wide just before the goal, then there was the goal, then Conway forced a save. I can’t remember any other chances. What ones am I missing?

Norwich seemed to have more. Blasting one over the bar, hitting the post, few long range efforts.

Knight (I think) had a header well saved in the first half.

Sykes also held the ball too long when played through in first half (coming in from right).

Well personally I quite enjoyed large parts of the game today and I can feel that we are getting into better attacking positions and looking to be more creative than under Nige. 

But it’s only coming in short spells. 
Today I thought we looked pretty bloody good from about 26 mins to 45 mins. But that was it. On Wednesday v Southampton we were good for the 1st half but then awful 2nd. Same v Boro where we had some decent spells. 

I think we are creating more goalscoring opportunities. Yes, we’re looking at holding the ball for longer, and I know this frustrates some fans who want to see quicker progression but I think overall we’re looking a bit more creative than we have done this season. 
The stats below from our home games this season would bear that out (I’ve not included the 2 games which had red cards as they can skew the possession stats). 
We can see that the 2 home games so far under Manning have produced the most amount of shots on target and 2 of the top 3 passes completed. 
Shows we are wanting to pass the ball and keep it more and that by doing so we are creating more shots on target. 

The lack of shots on target has been a big problem at Ashton Gate for a number of years and we’ve just seen 2 pretty decent games v Boro and Norwich where we’ve had more shots on target than any other games this season. 14 SOT’s in 2 games vs just 23 in the other 6 games. Thats an average of 7 per game vs 3.8. Almost double! 

For me, the last 2 home games have been much better entertainment than anything we’ve seen in the last 4 or 5 years. 

Pre H SOT 2 46% 422 passes

Wba H SOT 3 45% 409 passes

Ply H SOT 6 43% 424 passes

Sto H SOT 5 54% 395 passes

Cov H SOT 3 31% 278 passes

Ips H SOT 4 48% 454 passes

Mid H SOT 8 43% 451 passes

Nor H SOT 6 61% 652 passes

Edited by Harry
  • Like 4
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

In fairness, there are only so many times you can watch Tanner turn back to face his own goal and pass to Vyner without feeling like giving up caring about anything.

With Sykes on the left and Weinman I’ve no idea where (did buggar all ) Tanner could either pass it back to Vyner or morph into Karl Walker and beat 2 or 3 defenders then cross it into the box. 

Copy and pasted from the impatience thread :

I went today, and now realise why I go to about 3-4 games a season. The bad seems to outweigh the good (well at least for me).

The Bad

I thought that performance was timid and naive. Especially in the second half. We are so frightened with the ball. I understand possession based football, but my word do it with some purpose. We kept trying to shift it out wide to Pring, Bell and Knight (who also loked a bit lost and confused and tended to go backward or get in each others way). It was so ponderous - why take one touch when three will do. There was no intent. When we did get in strong positions there was not one city player in the 6 yard box. It was naive because we kept doing the same thing over and over again against two banks of 4/5.

The Good

When we DID shift it with purpose (2-3 times in the secondhalf) we were into them. It looked good. And we threatened