IGNORED

Tony 'Dougal' Fitzpatrick. Trivia and a quiz question.

Norn Iron

If anyone remembers Tony from our Div1 days, here is a topical quiz question for you plus a bit of trivia. 

Trivia first...He was also honoured by Renfrewshire Council after having a gritter named after him, with 'Tony Gritzpatrick' coming out on top after a public vote to name the local authority's nine gritting machines. (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

Quiz question... what is the connection between Tony and Christmas Day, 1976? (Clue, I doubt if anyone will achieve this in years to come).

3 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

If anyone remembers Tony from our Div1 days, here is a topical quiz question for you plus a bit of trivia. 

Trivia first...He was also honoured by Renfrewshire Council after having a gritter named after him, with 'Tony Gritzpatrick' coming out on top after a public vote to name the local authority's nine gritting machines. (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

Quiz question... what is the connection between Tony and Christmas Day, 1976? (Clue, I doubt if anyone will achieve this in years to come).

I’ll have a go at the second. It’s before my time but using logic did he do something like score the last goal in a game played on Christmas Day in the English or Scottish league (depending on where he was playing at the time - think Scotland?)

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Jimmy Lumsden as well, blimey.

Tony Fitzpatrick was a really poor buy for us, basically AD spent the bit of the Gary Collier money he was given on a central midfielder who played it square a lot. Once Norman Hunter retired & Geoff Merrick started to struggle with injuries we were then very light at the back as a result.

Played in back to back relegation seasons & went back to St Mirren for considerably less than we paid.

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Tony Fitzpatrick was a really poor buy for us, basically AD spent the bit of the Gary Collier money he was given on a central midfielder who played it square a lot. Once Norman Hunter retired & Geoff Merrick started to struggle with injuries we were then very light at the back as a result.

Played in back to back relegation seasons & went back to St Mirren for considerably less than we paid.

£250,000 wasn't it? AD's biggest spend?

54 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What I remember of him was running with the ball along the halfway line, performing a neat little pirouette and then passing the ball back to someone stood where he had just come from. he seemed to make a whole career out of it. 

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

What I remember of him was running with the ball along the halfway line, performing a neat little pirouette and then passing the ball back to someone stood where he had just come from. he seemed to make a whole career out of it. 

So funny you saying that.

When I was a boy (8 or 9) kicking about with my mates in the school fields my house backed into, there used to be this “older” bloke who’d be walking his dog and join in with us.  Would probably be dodgy these days, but all ok back in the late 70s.  He used to do exactly that, and commentate at the same time saying he was Tony Fitzpatrick.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

He didn't play square but ran around in circles every time he had the ball. Trouble with that is that he quickly became very giddy and lost the ball a lot.