IGNORED

National Anthem

Old School B block

Must admit I find this a bit weird too, but let's be clear - 'offensive' was one of the terms used, but they also said it was 'old-fashioned' and 'irrelevant', so it wasn't all around offence.

I do think it is all a bit cringeworthy and completely old-fashioned to be fair - and it was called upon by the students, so arguably it should ultimately be up to them. Can't say it should really bother anyone either way though.

Incidentally I graduated over a decade ago from a different uni and have no recollection of the anthem being played there either - I don't think it's really a big deal.

• Like 2

Yeah, they never played the national anthem at my graduation so I think it's a bit of anachronism that they still did until this year at Bristol.

Personally, I think GSK should be used like when Americans play Hail To The Chief: ie. only at events where the King or at least a senior Royal is present. 

Edited by Red-Robbo

11 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

Im a republican but while it is our national anthem I will sing it.  If you dont want to sing it, AS YOU FIND OUR COUNTRIES ANTHEM OFFENSIVE feel free and leave the country. SIMPLES

Sober me as put some context to drunk me's comment

On 09/12/2023 at 17:55, Red-Robbo said:

Yeah, they never played the national anthem at my graduation so I think it's a bit of anachronism that they still did until this year at Bristol.

Personally, I think GSK should be used like when Americans play Hail To The Chief: ie. only at events where the King or at least a senior Royal is present. 

What on earth has the national anthem got to do with a graduation ceremony??

• Like 1

17 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

It doesn't have to, and shouldn't, represent me personally. It should however represent our country as a whole and not just a filthy-rich unelected head of state, and a non existent deity. 

Fair enoughski.

I only asked because in your first post you stated that;

'(it's) about a sky fairy that i don't believe in and a rich guy. Definitely doesn't represent me'.

1 hour ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Fair enoughski.

I only asked because in your first post you stated that;

'(it's) about a sky fairy that i don't believe in and a rich guy. Definitely doesn't represent me'.

Because I was explaining why I personally think it's an awful national anthem. Though, I would be quite confident in stating that if you replace both "I" and "me" in that post with "the majority of the country", I think it would still be an accurate statement.

(Just my opinion obviously)

• Flames 1