IGNORED

Tanner

BCFCOFSWEDEN

To start Tanner before Pring is more than crazy.

If we want to have 3 in defence it should be Vyner, Dickie and Pring!

Tanner gives goals away every game.

Last week a own goal (ok, maybe unlucky)

Todays goal so bad..

Middlesbrough 2-2 goal so soft….

Another thing why was Sykes substituted, it should have been Bell!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Can't understand why pring didn't play a very strange decision,Tanner hasn't looked right all season to be fair,I'm not sure why Sykes was substituted ever since manning has come in he does seem to be the whipping boy maybe me but he seemed pissed off going off today. Yes Sykes should be ahead of bell or weimann those two are definitely off form. 

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

Tanner is a RB and Pring is a LB, Manning decided to play Bell at LWB and play with a back 3, Dickie is left footed, Vyner is better in the middle so the obvious option was to play Tanner on the right side of the 3.

Tanner made an error for the goal, but that's what happens when you make a mistake as the last man against a counter attacking team, that's not the first goal we've conceded from our own corner this season.

• Hmmm 1

Sykes would be my 1st name on the teamsheet but he just seems to be exhausted. Not surprising with the ground he covers. Anyway, back to Tanner. Seems to lack confidence when he approaches half way line. Always looking for the safe backward pass to Vyner or Dickie. I think he just wants to get rid of the ball rather than look for a forward pass that might not come off.  He is certainly no Ayling?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Tanner is a RB and Pring is a LB, Manning decided to play Bell at LWB and play with a back 3, Dickie is left footed, Vyner is better in the middle so the obvious option was to play Tanner on the right side of the 3.

Tanner made an error for the goal, but that's what happens when you make a mistake as the last man against a counter attacking team, that's not the first goal we've conceded from our own corner this season.

Dickie is right footed.

• Like 3

I have never seen a worst full back in possession of the football then George tanner. Its baffling he is petrified to pass the ball forward and when ever he does it goes either to a opposition player or aimlessly back to there keeper or down a blind allay or he flaps and gets caught in two minds and tackled high up the pitch. He definitely doesn't suit the way manning wants to play in possession I can see him being move to the bench once manning is able to bring his own playing staff in.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Dickie is right footed BTW.

It is an error by Tanner, but I'd like to know why there is no cover .

Screenshot2023-12-09at19_40_44.png.e3e149eff7ffd19110e52692f7a54a44.png

Most, if not all teams would have someone back inside the centre circle . While Tanner makes a mistake, I would ask why has no one sat back , it's an easy clearance then.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I think the last para is really important. If we’re going to play a possession based game with a high line then we are going to get punished when we lose the ball. The reality is all players - certainly at Championship level - will make the odd mistake and we will concede when they do.

In the long run, Manning may be proven right in how we wants to play. In the short term, there will be moments where players get the flak from fans for the errors they make. Last week was Vyner and this week Tanner. Next time we concede it may be someone else or may be one of them again. 

I get why fans are annoyed but I really hope Manning is taking responsibility for the way we are playing and reassuring the players that he understands mistakes will happen as they adapt.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, BCFC31 said:

I have never seen a worst full back in possession of the football then George tanner. Its baffling he is petrified to pass the ball forward and when ever he does it goes either to an opposition player of aimlessly back to there keeper or down a blind allay. He definitely doesn't suit the way manning wants to play in possession I can see him being move to the bench once manning is able to bring his own playing staff in.

I think last week he retained possession well, even if people wanted him to be more ambitious. But we don’t know what instructions Manning gave him last week and it may have been that he was told to keep possession rather than playing speculative balls forward. In any case, I don’t think it even about Manning bringing players in - McCrorie was brought in to be first choice right back and I suspect he will be once fit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think last week he retained possession well, even if people wanted him to be more ambitious. But we don’t know what instructions Manning gave him last week and it may have been that he was told to keep possession rather than playing speculative balls forward. In any case, I don’t think it even about Manning bringing players in - McCrorie was brought in to be first choice right back and I suspect he will be once fit.

Yes don't think tanner was even brought in to be first choice he has just had to so many games due to injury.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Most, if not all teams would have someone back inside the centre circle . While Tanner makes a mistake, I would ask why has no one sat back , it's an easy clearance then.

Made an assumption on the foot by the fact that is has mostly played on the left of the back 2 when Vyner has been in the team.

Agree with your point on the corner, was it an error of execution or a planned decision

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

McRorie's best position is on the right of a back three......

• Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Made an assumption on the foot by the fact that is has mostly played on the left of the back 2 when Vyner has been in the team.

Agree with your point on the corner, was it an error of execution or a planned decision

He’s quality & I think in the absence of both Atkinson & Naismith he’s trusted to play on the “wrong” side.

Top player, best summer signing & on for player of the season in my book.

• Like 3

Been said before that right back is often the worst footballer, because if you are right footed and any good you would play in another position. Maybe a bit harsh, but Tanner does seem to struggle to see a pass or take the ball forward. The contrast with Pring on the left is marked. So if we have to have a back 3 without Atkinson or Naismith, then Vyner, Dickie and Pring seems the best option. I guess the concern then is playing Zak on the right and him getting caught out…

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I believe Dickie has played left side for QPR at times , plus I think they are happier with the more experienced CB playing out of position, reasonable assumption TBF.

I'd say , not the right choice of pass , but why are we attacking with all 10 outfield players? Specially as we had been caught on the break several times in recent games.

52 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

He makes error every game was my point!

Of course we can play Vyner-Dickie-Pring! 

Dickie is not left footed!

Edited by BCFCOFSWEDEN

Just now, BCFCOFSWEDEN said:

He makes error every game was my point!

Of course we can play Vyner-Dickie-Pring! 

I think he's an old-school RB better suited if he has someone in front of him who can assist, Wiemann isn't that type of player hence leaving him exposed last week. This week he was just the last man which is a bit unforgivable considering how far up the pitch he was. Ross McCrorie would most probably get the RB gig once he's fit.

40 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That’s true. Also I don’t get how George got in a foot race with him. Bring him down & take the yellow card 

7 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

Tanner came from League 2 and would say he's probably a competent league one player at best. Has no forward thinking  his game. Gets to the halfway line and plays it back every time. Sorry not good enough for the Championship . 

I agree he isn't great from an attacking perspective but he is definitely a Championship quality defender 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I agree he isn't great from an attacking perspective but he is definitely a Championship quality defender 

I agree. Didn't naismith in commentary say that he is one of the best 1 on 1 defensive players in the championship. What frustrates me, is when he gets the ball, moves 10 yards with it, stops and then passes it back. I'm all for keeping possession but it slows all impetus down.

5 minutes ago, wheretheheartis said:

I agree. Didn't naismith in commentary say that he is one of the best 1 on 1 defensive players in the championship. What frustrates me, is when he gets the ball, moves 10 yards with it, stops and then passes it back. I'm all for keeping possession but it slows all impetus down.

I want his teammates to work harder FOR him, make better options / angles for him.  Make him look better.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I want his teammates to work harder FOR him, make better options / angles for him.  Make him look better.

I agree, when receiving the ball you should have a minimum of 2 options, one from the passer who creates an angle for him to receive it back and one you can pass to and support. The harder you work the easier it becomes. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fully agree, but they can only help so much. There was a punt up field in the second half that was completely aimless and unnecessary.

He's not having a great time out there and that summed it up for me.

Hope he finds a bit of form soon.