IGNORED

Driving Licence Format

Port Said Red

I came across this driving Licence that belonged to my late mother in law, and I was surprised to find that it was issued as late as 1973. 

I passed my test in 79 and it was already a paper format by then. I was wondering if anyone knows when it was changed exactly, and when they stopped issuing them from local offices?

IMG_20231212_113010.thumb.jpg.4006fbb49d44a555eb977531b57aaf4f.jpg

IMG_20231212_112935.jpg

IMG_20231212_112857.jpg

• Like 2

I passed my test a year after you, PSR, and also have the 'paper' licence. It still amuses/frustrates me when I have to provide it for the bank or whatever and the spotty clerk is dumbfounded. They don't realise that they don't have a photograph inset and can't work out what else to do. I've lost years off my life trying to get anything sorted at times.

Looking at the official Government website it looks like the DVLC at Swansea was set up in 1965 taking over licence issue from county or borough councils. The new green paper format was introduced on 1st March, 1973 (there were about 20 million drivers then).

Edited by Erithacus
typo
  • Like 2

My first job in Somerset CC was in the car tax/driving licence office in Taunton. That was still running between 1971 and 1975. Perhaps the people who update the Government website weren't even around then!

Judging by the date on the OP's mother in law's licence - 1976, there was still alot of catching up to do.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Erithacus said:

I passed my test a year after you, PSR, and also have the 'paper' licence. It still amuses/frustrates me when I have to provide it for the bank or whatever and the spotty clerk is dumbfounded. They don't realise that they don't have a photograph inset and can't work out what else to do. I've lost years off my life trying to get anything sorted at times.

Looking at the official Government website it looks like the DVLC at Swansea was set up in 1965 taking over licence issue from county or borough councils. The new green paper format was introduced on 1st March, 1973 (there were about 20 million drivers then).

The hassle will be over soon, you'll have to renew and get a card licence at 70 and you can't be far off that now :P

• Sad 1

On 12/12/2023 at 11:56, Port Said Red said:

I came across this driving Licence that belonged to my late mother in law, and I was surprised to find that it was issued as late as 1973. 

I passed my test in 79 and it was already a paper format by then. I was wondering if anyone knows when it was changed exactly, and when they stopped issuing them from local offices?

IMG_20231212_113010.thumb.jpg.4006fbb49d44a555eb977531b57aaf4f.jpg

IMG_20231212_112935.jpg

IMG_20231212_112857.jpg

Off on a bit of a tangent here but did she have Cornish ancestry? Zillah is a very common name down in the far west.

On 13/12/2023 at 11:08, richwwtk said:

The hassle will be over soon, you'll have to renew and get a card licence at 70 and you can't be far off that now :P

that hassle got too much for me when i tried to get a photo licence. mine has biodegraded into 8 squares and dust,first off they returned it asking for a £20 fee because i wasnt changing details. i duly put in a cheque and sent in the application again only to get it returned again,this time sellotaped back together asking for a copy of my birth certificate to prove i was a british citizen. ive only had a licence since 1980,  so, i then got a copy of my birth certificate and took it to the post office where the lady told me not to bother,so i dont have to renew every so often. obviously i will have to renew it in 10 years time but i might be dead by then and not have the hassle

On 15/12/2023 at 06:08, redsquirrel said:

that hassle got too much for me when i tried to get a photo licence. mine has biodegraded into 8 squares and dust,first off they returned it asking for a £20 fee because i wasnt changing details. i duly put in a cheque and sent in the application again only to get it returned again,this time sellotaped back together asking for a copy of my birth certificate to prove i was a british citizen. ive only had a licence since 1980,  so, i then got a copy of my birth certificate and took it to the post office where the lady told me not to bother,so i dont have to renew every so often. obviously i will have to renew it in 10 years time but i might be dead by then and not have the hassle

Another reason you might be glad you stuck with your paper one…….

Not implying you’d have any specific reason to worry, of course!!!

Edited by italian dave
  • Haha 1