IGNORED

Thank <insert expletive> For That!!

Davefevs

Simply a game I thought we needed to avoid defeat today.  To win, fantastic.  There is of course many things to critique tonight, but three points is a huge boost regardless of it feeling like The Alamo from 30-35mins onwards.

Three wins out of our last four at home and beating a top half side to boot.

I’ve said we could’ve had one or two more points so far under LM, but today we made them back up.

Big game Friday now.  COYR

• Like 16
  • Flames 2

A welcome result, and there’s more than one way to win a game.

Possession stats must be horrendous.

Sunderland are a very good team and that’s what you have to match or beat for a place in the top six.

well done to all.

4 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

How did we win??????

Great - 3 Points.

Great also that Manning must now realise we play non possession football 😆

Some truth in there. But for all the complaints about passing around at the back. I wish we'd do that once we're under sustained pressure like the beginning and most of the 2nd half. That's when possession with or without an attacking threat is really needed - needed to break their momentum. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

BPossession stats must be horrendous.

Sunderland are a very good team and that’s what you have to match or beat for a place in the top six.

33% - 67%.

Just shows how misleading possession stats can be. The only stat that really matters is the score line on the final whistle.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3
  • Facepalm 2

Just now, Robbored said:

33% - 67%.

Just shows how misleading possession stats can be. The only stat that really matters is the score line on the final whistle.

What’s misleading about them?  They had twice as much possession as us.  Spot on I’d say, wouldn’t you?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

well done to all.

Top 6,they will be top 10 at the max and they are way better than us than us no doubt 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

33% - 67%.

Don’t tell our boss that because he likes useless stats 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

33% - 67%.

Why is it misleading?

It doesn’t predict the result or outcome - but that possession stat tells us what most of us saw, they had far more of the ball than us and had us under the cosh for a large chunk of the game

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Simply a game I thought we needed to avoid defeat today.  To win, fantastic.  There is of course many things to critique tonight, but three points is a huge boost regardless of it feeling like The Alamo from 30-35mins onwards.

I’ve said we could’ve had one or two more points so far under LM, but today we made them back up.

I thought Sunderland were better than us for the first 20 mins too, we then had a very good spell following the goal.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Doesn’t get any easier either. Hull will be extremely tough 

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's weird. Looking at the stats at the end, sure we had to absorb more 2nd Half but it didn't really feel like that sort of game. I wondered about the substitution of James given he shields , screens etc.

He doesn’t really shield screen imho.  He’s all about anticipation and loose balls.  He’s never just sat in front like Pack.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If we hadn’t not seen the game those stats would indicate that the 33% team got stuffed - that’s why they’re misleading

No, they wouldn’t.  But you’re from a school of thought that has historically used possession in isolation as a basis to decide whether a team should’ve won a game or not.

I know someone else who has struggled to understand how things like game-state and playing style influence possession but not necessarily impact the result! #doffscapemoji 😉

24 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

well done to all.

The interesting possession and passing stats are the first half - 38%-62% in their favour and passing numbers 186-316. If you compare that to the Norwich game we had 61%-39% possession and completed 652-416 passes.

So, even in the first half, we had less ball by far than the prior home game and only completed 60% of the passes pro rata.

Yet it was undoubtedly an uptick in performance - because we played to our strengths. We moved the ball quicker, we pressed far higher up the pitch. In a lot of ways it was more a Pearson than Manning half stylistically and because it suits the players, it was better than any half since probably Southampton. It’s a possible sign that LM has realised you can’t impose a style immediately and if that is the case, has to be good news.

As for the second half though - we finished on 33% possession indicating that half we were in the 20’s. Finished on  287 passes so only completed 101 - barely 2 passes a minute! You won’t win many games like that as it’s too far the other way - we didn’t press high enough and although we defended well, I don’t think anyone wants to go through that again!

• Like 2

Agreed second half was one way traffic- but got to say up to 35 mins that was our best first half at Ashton gate this season other than Plymouth Imo- we looked dangerous had several good efforts at goal, but what was most pleasing was the resolve to hold onto a fragile lead.

well done Liam and team- 3 points against Hull and that will add some real balance to his start as manager

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Superbly organised, with a great spirit, that saw us through to deservedly win 3 points........................Phew!!

Hmmm………not so sure that City deserved to win the game, a draw was what the game deserved Imo. If I were a Mackam I’d be hugely disappointed that I’m heading home with nothing from the game.

The possession stat show how dominant they were.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Hmmm………not so sure that City deserved to win the game, a draw was what the game deserved Imo. If I were a Mackam I’d be hugely disappointed that I’m heading home with nothing from the game.

The possession stat show how dominant they were.

Disagree.....apologies but i could not give a flying **** about the possession stats?  Our spirit and attitude deserved those 3 points, I do not feel any sympathy for the opposition, as I have also been away , when the shoe has been on the other foot, and bemoaned our lack of fortune......so it is great to see it from the other side!   Dominant..........Shominant....Ha!!

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Disagree.....apologies but i could not give a flying **** about the possession stats?  Our spirit and attitude deserved those 3 points, I do not feel any sympathy for the opposition, as I have also been away , when the shoe has been on the other foot, and bemoaned our lack of fortune......so it is great to see it from the other side!   Dominant..........Shominant....Ha!!

We should’ve been two penalties to nil up after 20 minutes, and their CB and GK on yellow cards, shouldn’t we?  I think the referee could’ve had a very big bearing on the result by getting that early decision wrong.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Doesn’t get any easier either. Hull will be extremely tough 

I fancy us to beat them also. Time for us to go on a festive winning streak 

Get Atkinson, Mcrorie, Wells & Naismith back fit and a couple of new faces and watch us rocket up the table 🚀

Edited by INCRED
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We found a way to win.

Will it sustain us medium to long run, perhaps not. Will we play Sunderland most weeks? No.

Sunderland were the best side I’ve seen this season. Everything I want us to be, athletic and strong. It shows we are a way off being competitive in this league, they battered us second half. How we won I’ll never know but I’ll take it, in bad need of some pace and power in Jan. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

For me, that’s a win straight from the Nigel Pearson play book. I give the players a massive amount of credit today. Hopefully Liam can build on that collective spirit and get us moving forward.  He can’t lose that will to win with tactical overlords though. 

• Like 5