IGNORED

Thank <insert expletive> For That!!

Davefevs

Just now, glynriley said:

For me, that’s a win straight from the Nigel Pearson play book. I give the players a massive amount of credit today. Hopefully Liam can build on that collective spirit and get us moving forward.  He can’t lose that will to win with tactical overlords though. 

Good runs often start with wins like this or a hard fought 0-0 away from home.  Let’s hope we build on it.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, Abingdon Red said:

I thought Sunderland were better than us for the first 20 mins too, we then had a very good spell following the goal.  

Agree, first 20 was quite tricky to watch, crowd in the dolman got very antsy at that point. First penalty shout seemed to change the dynamic all round.

I think the Blackburn and Sunderland games tell us a lot about City. We're a hardworking, competitive side, but we have our limitations. We are capable of 25 minutes of domination, but equally can be pinned back for long periods. 

Irrespective of the manager, we're just an average Champ side. Not going up, not going down, which is what most of us expected pre-season.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Simply a game I thought we needed to avoid defeat today.  To win, fantastic.  There is of course many things to critique tonight, but three points is a huge boost regardless of it feeling like The Alamo from 30-35mins onwards.

Three wins out of our last four at home and beating a top half side to boot.

I’ve said we could’ve had one or two more points so far under LM, but today we made them back up.

Big game Friday now.  COYR

Yes. Thought we played some really nice attacking football for 5 minutes after the goal & opened them up a few times. I’m just going to enjoy the win & pick the bones out of it tomorrow . Reverses the Norwich defeat though . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Some of the replies are interesting. 

When we won Vs Coventry many criticised us for pur performance and that we didn't deserve to win because Coventry created lots of chances (they didnt)

Not seeing the same sort of comments tonight. Interesting. 

Sunderland had lots of possession and Max has made one good and one brilliant save to earn us the points. I’m seeing most people call today out for what it was. It was a much needed win and that means people won’t be going overboard on slagging off the Manager. What’s the point when the players put the effort in to scrap it out? What I’m looking for is a better performance on Friday and get something out of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Simply a game I thought we needed to avoid defeat today.  To win, fantastic.  There is of course many things to critique tonight, but three points is a huge boost regardless of it feeling like The Alamo from 30-35mins onwards.

Three wins out of our last four at home and beating a top half side to boot.

I’ve said we could’ve had one or two more points so far under LM, but today we made them back up.

Big game Friday now.  COYR

Completely agreed Fevs. Today was all about getting a result. It was pretty clear if we played badly and lost it would’ve got toxic, but fair play to the lads they battled well and fought out an unlikely win against a very impressive, attacking Sunderland team.

Max did brilliantly today and kept us in it but as a team they defended well. Just a shame we didn’t see more in the way of attacking ourselves, but the win is the most important thing. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

When we won Vs Coventry many criticised us for pur performance and that we didn't deserve to win because Coventry created lots of chances (they didnt)

Had a quick peek (only the last couple of pages admittedly) and seems similar to this thread a few comments like yours in this thread:

I have absolutely no idea how we won that, but absolutely delighted that we did.

Interestingly I think your comment in the Coventry thread applies really well for today: 

Yes we'd all love to watch free flowing attacking football every week. But sometimes you do just need to grind out results when you're not playing well etc

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Just relieved mate, didn't see us winning today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Loads of posts asking how we won the game?!  I think you're making something out of nothing. 

The important thing about us winning today (against a promotion chasing team) is that pressure had been building due to a few recent defeats and this was a committed display when we could have crumbled under said pressure. 

Edited by mozo
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, BCFC Rich said:

Some truth in there. But for all the complaints about passing around at the back. I wish we'd do that once we're under sustained pressure like the beginning and most of the 2nd half. That's when possession with or without an attacking threat is really needed - needed to break their momentum. 

This might have been answered by now - but I'm miles behind on the thread. You are of course right, but I'd guess it's much harder mentally to do this under sustained pressure. Once we're able to do that, I'd say things would be looking up.

• Flames 1

Just now, mozo said:

Loads of posts asking how we won the game?!  I think you're making something out of nothing. 

The important thing about us winning today (against a promotion chasing team) is that pressure had been building due to a few recent defeats and this was a committed display when we could have crumbled under said pressure. 

Agreed. Today was about getting something out of the game. Now we have a confidence boosting win it would be nice to see a decent performance on Friday.

I've been quite critical of late of the whole club identity and direction. What I saw today was a team determined to hold on to a lead with bodies on the line and some great keeping from Max. I also felt entertained for once so if this is what's to come, bring it on. 

Having said that, Sunderland were very quick, slick, and clever. Dare I say,  a level above us. Hey but we took home the 3 points. We'll done lads.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Genuinely maybe a bit contrary, but didn't feel like we were under that much pressure.

I'm a bit of a sceptic of Manning ball but it didn't feel all that pressured, terrible etc.

Now the sustainability, that's s different debate but it didn't feel too bad.

I felt as if there was a period in the second half where it felt like chance after chance and penalty shout after penalty shout. I'm not sure but possibly they should have had 1? 

But then that wave died down. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Hmmm………not so sure that City deserved to win the game, a draw was what the game deserved Imo. If I were a Mackam I’d be hugely disappointed that I’m heading home with nothing from the game.

The possession stat show how dominant they were.

I’ve long felt that deserved to win is one of the most overused and meaningless expressions in football.

I’m sure you’ll agree that so is using possession stats to determine who should have won. Sunderland played some delightful football (I’d love to see us emulate them) but they didn’t do enough to draw this particular football match…for one very obvious reason. 

9 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Strangley after 15mins into the 2nd half i became more confident we would hold on for a win.

Ok Max made a couple of decent saves from their barrage of corners but thought we coped well.

They did play some decent stuff for sure,were easy on the eye.

It was 15 mins to go that squeaky bum time kicked in having seen City blow leads plenty of times over the years. I was delighted a meagre 3 mins added time time on the 90. I’d been expecting 5 at least.

Sunderland certainly played some nice stuff, very easy on the eye but their away strip was dreadful….worst I remember ever seeing.

Another tough game coming up on Friday,