IGNORED

Harry Cornick

Redminer

Not for me, nor any of the many people I've spoken to. Don't see what he offers. Never looks like scoring, runs around aimlessly, rarely wins a header and that long throw ain't that long. Does anyone see a strength he offers us? 

And he's even got his own song!

Hopefully Wells will be ready to start or come on against Hull, was it too early for him today?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

Reported fee was £300k wasn’t it? Not sure what we expect for that, but presumably not expecting him/anyone for that fee to tear up the Championship? Personally think he does okay given the outlay. If we’re saying we’d prefer to have £10m strikers, think that’s a different debate. 

• Like 3

I don’t think he’s been a great signing but if the board only made £300k available for a striker, I very much doubt we’d have got anyone else in with a better record at this level than Cornick. 

The board set the budget, the recruitment team IDs those within budget, the manager chose from the options put in front of him. Shame it isn’t working out, but that’s football (and our penny-pinching board).

Edited by tin
  • Like 7

45 minutes ago, 2015 said:

A better option than Conway right now in the formation we play.

Sorry, but despite the penalty I thought Conway's performance was abysmal yesterday.

Harsh. He was very isolated today as we sat back and compact so much. Thought he did well considering.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Harsh. He was very isolated today as we sat back and compact so much. Thought he did well considering.

Doesn't put himself about enough. Has a poor touch and isn't quick.

Works better in a 2. He might be academy, but he has been way off it lately in truth.

Cornick just isn't very good technically especially for this level. I also fail to see why people say he's a target man he very rarely wins headers against his marker or offer up any sort of link play for the forwards also struggles when given to much time on the ball to pick his passes he  does try and he runs his socks off he very workman like but if we want to get to the Premier leauge we need to add quality its a big no from me upgraded needed. Unfortunately I don't trust the club to get it right when it comes to player recruitment we continue to fail at this as a club where our rivals are picking up gems all over the place. People will throw night and dickie in for arguments sake and I'd argue this can be countered 10x over but the hit ratio for players who can come in like your knights and dickies and hit the ground running is very poor, to add to that Steve doesn't seem to be putting the money into player recruitment either so we're just left with abit of a shit sandwich really aren't we.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Cornick just isn't very good technically especially for this level. I also fail to see why people say he's a target man he very rarely wins headers against his marker or offer up any sort of link play for the forwards also struggles when given to much time on the ball to pick his passes he  does try and he runs his socks off he very workman like but if we want to get to the Premier leauge we need to add quality its a big no from me upgraded needed. Unfortunately I don't trust the club to get it right when it comes to player recruitment we continue to fail at this as a club where our rivals are picking up gems all over the place. People will throw night and dickie in for arguments sake and I'd argue this can be counted 10x over but the hit ratio for players who can come in like your knights and dickies and hit the ground running is very poor.

Don’t you think our recent recruitment is much improved…especially with the budgets allowed…and our place in the pecking order.  We are not wasting money, it’s all pretty frugal stuff.

Atkinson, Dickie, Knight, Sykes (free), TGH all “very good” signings?

Add that to James (free), Tanner and Naismith (free) as “decent” signings?  I think Roberts (free) and McCrorie (at different stages of their careers and expectations) will be fine too.

Wilson you could argue was duff, but we don’t know how much his injury impacted him.  He’s playing regularly for Derby now fit.

Cornick I get the frustration.  Mehmeti is still young, bought for now and the future.

• Like 5

It's all very subjective I suppose I don't think it just comes down to the recruitment team alone per say.  Because there are alot of other things to factor in like recruitment structure and how that looks and also budget restraints.  Again I feel the questions should really be asked to the lansdowns who I feel are always the common denominators. What do they want essentially because if there trying to build a top 6 team with 300k purchases and freebies there living in cloud coo coo im affraid given the current financial demographics of the championship. They also refuse to pay loan fees they also haven't shown there willing to " trade "  Unless you have some insanely good contacts in the recruitment side or lots of highly skilled eyes on the ground  or a top top recruitment model like say brentford for example which I don't beileve we have then your not going to come up with a great deal.

Edited by BCFC31

I think the reality is that we haven't got any forwards who can play as a lone striker and yet that's what we ask them to do. All of them look better with a partner. For me Cornick is what you get when you spend peanuts. You have to blame the Board, not the recruitment team or the player, who clearly is giving 100%.

If we insist on playing this way then we need a different type who can lead the line and is a good finisher.They cost and that's where the Lansdowns draw the line.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It is indeed.

But based on the ponds we are fishing in, don’t you think it’s improved?

(since the days of spanking tens of millions and seeing them leave for nothing)

Yes if you want to remain a 14th to 16th placed championship team I suppose. I just feel there is a huge area for improvement i always tend to come full circle with these things and come back to the baord and ownership and I don't think we will really get to where we as fans want to be untill steve passes the batton on to someone else.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It is indeed.

But based on the ponds we are fishing in, don’t you think it’s improved?

(since the days of spanking tens of millions and seeing them leave for nothing)

If (and we won't) are spending those types of sums now I think we would see very different results to what we have seen.

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

I think the reality is that we haven't got any forwards who can play as a lone striker and yet that's what we ask them to do. All of them look better with a partner. For me Cornick is what you get when you spend peanuts. You have to blame the Board, not the recruitment team or the player, who clearly is giving 100%.

If we insist on playing this way then we need a different type who can lead the line and is a good finisher.They cost and that's where the Lansdowns draw the line.

1 minute ago, BCFC31 said:

Yes if you want to remain a 14th to 16th placed championship team I suppose. I just feel there is a huge area for improvement i always tend to come full circle with these things and come back to the baord and ownership and I don't think we will really get to where we as fans want to be untill steve passes the batton on to someone else.

Think you both raise perfectly good arguments and I agree.

I constantly come back to - if we’d spent another £3m plus wages in the summer on TWO players of the calibre of Knight and Dickie, might we be a lot closer to the top 6 than we are?

Off the back of £20-25m for Alex Scott.  I don’t buy the “budgets set in March / front loaded the signings” bollox.  That was retrofitted because they’d moved into “sack Nige” plans.

Wasted opportunity, and going over old ground, to spite Nige, or at least make it more difficult for him.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2