IGNORED

City’s Academy / u23s - less than 4 years ago

Davefevs

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Alex Scott the obvious one, followed by Sam Bell, but no others on our side has gone on to become a regular at this level for City or anyone else.

On Cardiff’s side only Sang and Harris, who are now both plying their trade in Lg1.

I know there has been a lot of angst on the other side of the bridge about Cardiff’s failure to produce any Championship standard players for years (I know they let Wes Burns go before he joined us, another master stroke). Harris at Oxford & Sang at Port Vale are the only two here even with a FL club.

In contrast not only the obvious but Wollacott (full international, now at Hibs), Towler (on the bench all season at Pompey) & Harper at Exeter are all making a living from the game.

Fascinating stuff. Thank you. The passage of nearly 4 years enables us to clearly evaluate who has or hasn't made it at this level for both clubs and apart from the obvious successes in Scott and Bell (and even with Bell there are some on OTIB suggesting he should now drop a level to League One) it makes fairly grim reading. 

Out of interest, how many of those players actually made League or Cup appearances for either club, such as Hinds, Britton, Towler and Pearson, and how many never even made the bench? 

Edited by handsofclay

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Opi Edwards played a couple of times (under LJ - FA Cup and under Holden).

Brad Webb had a loan at Newport.

Callum Pearson (Sam’s brother) went off the rails.

James Taylor had a loan spell at Cheltenham and appeared a couple of times in EFL Trophy games from memory.

Wasn’t Callum meant to better? Went off the rails? What happened?

51 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Fascinating stuff. Thank you. The passage of nearly 4 years enables us to clearly evaluate who has or hasn't made it at this level for both clubs and apart from the obvious successes in Scott and Bell (and even with Bell there are some on OTIB suggesting he should now drop a level to League One) it makes fairly grim reading. 

Out of interest, how many of those players actually made League or Cup appearances for either club, such as Hinds, Britton, Towler and Pearson, and how many never even made the bench? 

Is it grim reading?

To me it is reality.

I know Tinnion wants us to believe every year’s crop of youngsters will produce loads of first team players but even if you accept Alex Scott is always going to be a huge outlier, that so many have done so is down to us giving them opportunities & the number making it (Bell has appeared in 55 Championship games now by the age of 21, so whatever anyone’s opinion of him he’s effectively made it) is probably if anything, above average.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I know there has been a lot of angst on the other side of the bridge about Cardiff’s failure to produce any Championship standard players for years (I know they let Wes Burns go before he joined us, another master stroke). Harris at Oxford & Sang at Port Vale are the only two here even with a FL club.

In contrast not only the obvious but Wollacott (full international, now at Hibs), Towler (on the bench all season at Pompey) & Harper at Exeter are all making a living from the game.

I had almost forgotten about him.

I do recall, though, that there were many on here and elsewhere suggesting that 'our management' had made an horrendous error in letting him leave after his loan spell at Wimbledon (notwithstanding that it was, I believe, his own choice and preference in order to get regular first team football).

A similar outcry ensued when we released Louis Britton - where is he now?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

15 hours ago, TBW said:

2 of 16, made it to regular first team football and one of those didn't come all the way through it. Academy showing its value. 

According one of them made the club enough money to fund the academy for 10 years, seems very good value for money!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

I can’t be the only one who thought Hinds was gonna go on to be a championship regular after his performances in the cup ? 

I certainly wanted him to remain around the first team squad that season to see how he developed…rather than be carted off on loan.  I’d have like him to be watching and trying to copy Bobby Reid every week.  Whether he’d have made it or not I dunno, but it went rapidly downhill.

• Like 1

Whether it is a modern Academy or the Ground staff boys of prehistoric days, it is extremely rare for more than one youngster breaking into being a regular in the league team.

The City under 18 team of 1960 gave us FOUR forwards, Brian Clark, Lou Peters, Terry Bush and Jantzen Derrick.

AD was the next one between 1968 and 1973, to bring a lot through and of course Terry Cooper had a few in 1982, although it's probably fair to say that the only one to stay in the first team beyond one season, was Rob Newman.

It looks as if we have managed three in two years with Scott, Conway and Bell. And look at how long it took Vyner and O'Leary to become regulars on the team sheet. 

So to get another one or two by end of next season will be very good. Don't expect miracles from our Academy.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1