IGNORED

Away fans in family stand?

jimjimma

My son and I support Bristol City and Southampton, but are Southampton fans first. He's 10, and I don't want to sit with the away fans.... because away fans can be a bit extra.

I thought I'd get us family stand tickets, but wondered if it could cause trouble if he accidentally lets out a cheer at a Saints goal?

Hopefully allow football support as it should be!

Sit somewhere with a good view in total safety!

Anyone who objects needs to take a step back and realise this is how supporting a football team starts!

For 95% of true fans mixing amongst other fans should not be an issue - just allow healthy banter!!

32 minutes ago, jimjimma said:

My son and I support Bristol City and Southampton, but are Southampton fans first. He's 10, and I don't want to sit with the away fans.... because away fans can be a bit extra.

I thought I'd get us family stand tickets, but wondered if it could cause trouble if he accidentally lets out a cheer at a Saints goal?

I'm sure you'll be fine, if you are suitably respectful of being in a home area of the ground.

I once had to get tickets in the home end at Southampton (not family stand) & got treated like Shite, grassed up to a steward & kicked out the ground, simply for not cheering when Southampton scored.

Which was fair enough, I knew the chances when I took that option.

It all depends who ends up being sat around you - but you should be OK in the family stand area.

I doubt they'd permit any visible saouthampton shirts or scarfs though.

You'll just have to accept you may get kicked out if anyone takes objection to you being there. 

They won’t allow away gear. A Leeds fan and his son were refused entry to that area a couple of years back and, if I recall correctly, did a self-pitying selfie with his son in tears outside the stand. Didn’t get much sympathy either. 

Not quite Millwall, but all stands here have a volatile element which is why stewards act quickly to remove any ‘triggers’. Family area safest, and as long as it’s just a child doing a short celebration with the parent sitting tight should be ok - on the proviso there aren’t any/many other away fans in the area that attract attention.

Sad state of affairs. Hopefully, one day we will have designated ‘safe’ family sitting areas at all grounds. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Went to Millwall 20 off years ago and had to sit in the main stand as the City end was all ticket. City go 2-0 up in the second half and the away end are reminding Millwall of the score. The chap behind me then gets up and shouts at the away end……

’Why don’t you all **** off back up north’!

i didn’t feel like giving him a geography lesson tbh.

• Haha 14

15 hours ago, jimjimma said:

Don't believe that for a start !

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jimjimma said:

Southampton fans in my experience are not that 'extra' Your kid is ten, fighting age. Let him throw some hands, character building. 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Lewisdabaron said:

So you’re asking if its ok to risk your safety of you & your family for the sake of saving a few quid? 

Get an away ticket to be sure of no trouble. 

Everyone rightly or wrongly knows the rules of sitting in the home end. Do it by all means, but no, don’t celebrate if you score as you’re asking for trouble. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, jimjimma said:

It’s the home stands . You’re not allowed in them . So no you won’t be welcome 

• Facepalm 1

23 hours ago, jimjimma said:

If your sat in front of me and you score 😡👊🥊

joking as long as you don’t stand on the seats and start singing that dirge of a song when the saints go whatever it is you will be fine 

Can’t believe a couple of the replies on this.

its a father and son wanting to sit in the family stand because away ends can get a bit lively.

Of course you can go in the family stand, absolutely no problem at all this is 2023/24 not 1979. The same rules apply anywhere inside or outside the ground where you wouldn’t want to take the mickey if/when you score but I say welcome and enjoy the game.

The Leeds father son incident was different in that we’ve had loads of problems with Leeds fans in the home end taking liberties.

Edited by ralphindevon
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

its a father and son wanting to sit in the family stand because away ends can get a bit lively.

Of course you can go in the family stand, absolutely no problem at all this is 2003/04 not 1979. The same rules apply anywhere inside or outside the ground where you wouldn’t want to take the mickey if/when you score but I say welcome and enjoy the game.

The Leeds father son incident was different in that we’ve had loads of problems with Leeds fans in the home end taking liberties.

Someone’s been watching Back to the Future this Xmas!

McFlyyyyyyyy

• Haha 1

Football fans are a right old funny bunch.

If this dad and lad have got 5 fingers, two eyes, a nose and generally look human then sure they are welcome anywhere in the ground.

Just don't celebrate and you'll be fine. Not clapping a City goal would be fine as many many a game is attended by neutrals these days 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Of course you can go in the family stand, absolutely no problem at all this is 2023/24 not 1979. The same rules apply anywhere inside or outside the ground where you wouldn’t want to take the mickey if/when you score but I say welcome and enjoy the game.

Maybe crossed wires here, “away fans can be a bit extra” was the quote.

I took this as being a bit extra £££, thus the OP wanting to sit in the home end, budget being the reason. 

Im right in saying you took this comment as “AWAY ENDS can get a bit too lively?” …. So a ticket in family stand in the home end is safer?

I’d take the calculated “risk” of tickets the away end where i should if i was a Saints fan with a kid. Regardless of what year it is. 

• Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Maybe crossed wires here, “away fans can be a bit extra” was the quote.

I took this as being a bit extra £££, thus the OP wanting to sit in the home end, budget being the reason. 

Im right in saying you took this comment as “AWAY ENDS can get a bit too lively?” …. So a ticket in family stand in the home end is safer?

I’d take the calculated “risk” of tickets the away end where i should if i was a Saints fan with a kid. Regardless of what year it is. 

Yeah I did take it to mean it can get a bit rowdy in away ends, maybe I was wrong.

I still think in the family stand anyone should be welcome. I think the OP’s mistake was to come on here and announce it and not just do it. Who is going to care if his 10 year old son gives a little cheer?
I’ve been in loads of home ends watching us play away. The only time I got sussed was at Newcastle where I was struggling to understand the very talkative Geordie sat next to me but he was fine when he found out.

I always enjoy a chat with opposition fans in the pub or even sat in the ground like often happens in the Heineken lounge.

• Like 1