IGNORED

Mark Steel`s In Town - Radio 4extra

Lanterne Rouge

15 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Was it a repeat? I’m pretty sure he did one from Portishead a few years back, and can’t imagine he’d do it twice! The first one featured the old stationers shop pretty heavily…that’s been closed for a few years now. 

I think it was. I can`t remember exactly from the programme but 2017 rings a bell? the stationer`s shop was very heavily featured so you`re probably right. I don`t know Portishead at all really so it was all new to me!

45 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think it was. I can`t remember exactly from the programme but 2017 rings a bell? the stationer`s shop was very heavily featured so you`re probably right. I don`t know Portishead at all really so it was all new to me!

That sounds like the one I was thinking of...and 2017 would be about right.

I like the programme - as you say a bit hit and miss sometimes, but the good ones make up for the bad ones. (Bit like City really!)

I might have a listen again.

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`ve been meaning to post this for a few days but kept forgetting. Last week`s show was from Portishead and, although I find some of them a bit hit and miss, was pretty good IMO.

It`s no doubt on BBC Sounds if anyone wants to seek it out.

Yes it's an old episode, but some good bits in there. I liked the bit where he was in the Poacher or the Plough?, some lads are in the corner and one of the lads says to the lady behind the bar "yer, can I have a stripper for me 18th?" And the woman says "I don't see why not" and he says "thanks mum" :)

I did find some of the "sleepy backwater" stuff a bit patronising. Even 6 years ago the marina area was getting popular especially in the summer, but the High street is rarely quiet like he makes out.

I think my favourite ones I have heard are Portland Bill and Kingston Upon Thames.

• Like 1