IGNORED

Rooney pulling out all the stops - Now Sacked

Silvio Dante

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Isn't that what we have now done? Reverted to type. Despite us now being "well coached" 

Mmmm… your post smacks of ‘agenda’ 

We’re talking about Rooney. Plenty of other places for you to talk about NP vs LM. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/02/the-wayne-rooney-paradox-he-should-avoid-any-club-that-wants-him

Pretty much hits the nail on the head. Also could apply to our own previous “Marmite” manager, whose latest post was similarly short and unsuccessful.

And at least when JL etc sacked Pearson, we didn’t end up with either Lampard or Gerrard.

If anything, the current route to improvement appears to be to appoint a Basque coach (Emeri, Arteta, Iraola, Xabi Alonso). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Just a sarcastic response to your previous "well coached now" digs at NP. 

But I didn’t have any digs at NP  

I stated in the Watford match day thread how well coached I thought the team looked that day and I gave a detailed explanation as to why. It wasn’t a dig at NP it was merely an observation of the way we pressed the opposition on the day, which I thought was very different to anything we’ve seen under any previous manager (not just NP) and was something which would have taken a lot of coaching into the players to make sure they did the right things at the right times.  

See page 29 ……

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/02/the-wayne-rooney-paradox-he-should-avoid-any-club-that-wants-him

Pretty much hits the nail on the head. Also could apply to our own previous “Marmite” manager, whose latest post was similarly short and unsuccessful.

And at least when JL etc sacked Pearson, we didn’t end up with either Lampard or Gerrard.

If anything, the current route to improvement appears to be to appoint a Basque coach (Emeri, Arteta, Iraola, Xabi Alonso). 

Barney Ronay makes a very good case with his usual humour. As he says, the enablers of Wayne and their kind are the real problem.

This bit made me laugh though:

Only last week Steven Gerrard could be heard urging the owners of Al-Ettifaq to finally get their wallets out or risk failing to maximise his own managerial brilliance. 😂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Thought Sky’s analysis hit a new low on Monday with Merson’s explanation  for Rooney’s failure, viz that ‘they’re not his players’. 

Merson speaks utter garbage when it comes to anything outside the premier league. His comment on us sacking Pearson was that it was understandable given the money we'd spent over the summer. Doesn't seem to be any accountability for saying things that are accurate or reflect reality in any way

1 minute ago, cellist said:

Merson speaks utter garbage when it comes to anything outside the premier league. His comment on us sacking Pearson was that it was understandable given the money we'd spent over the summer. Doesn't seem to be any accountability for saying things that are accurate or reflect reality in any way

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Compensation for Rooney yet to be sorted apparently...is this the norm?

How does that work with standard payoffs, he signed a 3.5 year deal in an Autumn.

I know that full contract doesn't always equal full payoff but this could be interesting.

At its simplest, they can pay him off as per his termination clause, continue to pay him (for whatever period is stipulated, e.g. until he gets another club:

I don’t think there is a “norm” per se.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Thought Sky’s analysis hit a new low on Monday with Merson’s explanation  for Rooney’s failure, viz that ‘they’re not his players’. 

Isn’t from overseas or someone they haven’t heard of so naturally the media back him like a mate .

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Mowbray the favourite now by the looks of it

A strangely logical choice.

Maybe they have realised sacking a successful manager & appointing a “name” really doesn’t work.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Love Mowbray

👍🏻

46 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'd have had him here in a heartbeat if he was available whilst we had a vacancy. 

Very much fits the style we were briefed about. 

I’d  have been happy with him a few times 

Has done a ‘decent’  job at virtually every club.

( Not sure I’d describe his teams as front foot , WSM but they play good football 👍🏻)

25 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

👍🏻

I’d  have been happy with him a few times 

Has done a ‘decent’  job at virtually every club.

( Not sure I’d describe his teams as front foot , WSM but they play good football 👍🏻)

I'm not a Tony Mowbray expert but from what I saw his Sunderland team had a controlled press and liked to get up the pitch quickly? 

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm not a Tony Mowbray expert but from what I saw his Sunderland team had a controlled press and liked to get up the pitch quickly? 

Tbf , I’m no expert either , and tend to watch games these days , with less concentration , unless it’s City or a particular player I fancy watching 

Just a general impression with his teams over the years , decent football 

@Davefevs is probably the man to give us a more accurate view 

58 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Tbf , I’m no expert either , and tend to watch games these days , with less concentration , unless it’s City or a particular player I fancy watching 

Just a general impression with his teams over the years , decent football 

@Davefevs is probably the man to give us a more accurate view 

No, no, I think WSM is right with Sunderland.  Think he’s adaptable.

47 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Mowbray confirmed on 2.5 yr contract

Very good appointment , but a bit of a change from the star spangled Rooney idea

The only “spangle” is the ones he chews on during interviews!

For those of a certain age!

image.png.eeba6e28ea87f84bf84505a8c6a35c3e.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The only “spangle” is the ones he chews on during interviews!

For those of a certain age!

image.png.eeba6e28ea87f84bf84505a8c6a35c3e.png

21 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Some of those were lovely but the others were bloody horrible!

I used to love the Old English and the green ones.