IGNORED

West Brom away, New Year's Day 1979

Nogbad the Bad

I was there and came across this photo taken from our view in the away section.

West Brom, with Bryan Robson, Cyrille Regis and a near unplayable Laurie Cunningham won the game 3-1.

West Brom had special boots to help with the Wintry conditions apparently, City didn't, but no disgrace to lose to a very talented West Brom team who were flying under Ron Atkinson.

Hard men on a hard pitch, big hostile crowd and vociferous support from the City fans packing out the away terraces.

Football as it used to be, and we absolutely loved it.

image.png.c8d374d3dbaeeedd6b4c46c91920575a.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 6

I was there too, remember it well, one of very few games to go ahead that day & my brother got a bit of a smacking afterwards.

He was about 14 then, we have often reminisced that he’s a big lad now (decent rugby player in his day), virtually no chance they would have tried it on a few years later..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Always get mixed up with this game and the draw in the Promotion Season, but I remember the "astro trainers" they wore .

Here's a view from WBA's side. 

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2016/october/a-hawthorns-top-ten-6

Well, I'd forgotten the retaken penalty.

'The Throstles were a goal to the good after just 11 minutes, Shaw unable to hold a Bryan Robson effort, Ally Brown darting in to convert the rebound. But it was from hero to villain for Ally ten minutes later from City won a penalty for a Brendon Batson handball. As Ritchie stepped up to take the penalty, Ally chucked a snowball at him to put him off and he missed the penalty, it hit the post. The referee let them retake it and Peter Cormack stepped up and scored.'

What about the rearranged evening game in our promotion season?

Sweeney scored just before half time and Albion laid siege as we defended that lead at the Brummie Road end.

Then there was a Boxing day when a divot in our penalty area scored the very late winner. A back pass to Keith Welch and as he was about to kick it clear and the ball hit a lump of mud and went over his foot and trickled into the net.

• Like 1

I think all the top flight games were off bar this one. I am fairly sure Radio 2 where the sports coverage was then (before Radio 5 Live) had commentary on the whole match as there was precious little going on elsewhere to report on. They usually only had second half commentary on a match. 

The fact WBA wore astro boots that gave them an advantage in the snow emerged the following day on the back page of the tabloids.

• Like 2

Yeah that sounds right, I remember listening to this game on the radio, many years before Radio Bristol did live commentaries, so Radio 2 it must have been. 

For some reason I recall throughout the game you could clearly hear the dulcet tones of our own Tony Harling, who must have been sitting near the commentary box. "BER-RISTOL!!" 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

What about the rearranged evening game in our promotion season?

Sweeney scored just before half time and Albion laid siege as we defended that lead at the Brummie Road end.

One of the best away games ever.

4,000 City fans for an evening game and about the loudest, non stop, support to get the team through that 2nd half that I can ever remember.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

One of the best away games ever.

4,000 City fans for an evening game and about the loudest, non stop, support to get the team through that 2nd half that I can ever remember.

Remember it well, I was only 12 (!) then & went with my old man.

Definitely saw Oxford, Pompey & Rovers away with him that season, too. Think I possibly might have done Luton as well.

Just great times watching a wonderful team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Definitely saw Oxford, Pompey & Rovers away with him that season, too. Think I possibly might have done Luton as well.

That Rovers game on Good Friday was mental, the most I’ve ever seen City have at Eastville, had to stand on the dog track because the Muller Road end was so packed

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I saw most of the way games that season.

Luton was a fairly uneventful 0-0 on a drab November day, about the only highlight being Jimmy Mann hitting the bar at our end from about 40 yards.

City fans led out from their end before the game, and Luton fans making themselves known in our end during the game leading to quite a brawl on the terrace.

A fantastic team to follow, still consider every one of them a hero..

• Robin 1

6 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Skip to 20 minutes in.

Brilliant find thanks, have watched these before but couldn’t remember this.

One question I have as someone who is fascinated with football during the 70s up to mid 80s is why have the BBC not made the match of the day archives available to purchase? It’s great to watch the BIg Match when it is on but so many games and goals I  and other later have never seen will be on the bbc equivalent?

3 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Brilliant find thanks, have watched these before but couldn’t remember this.

One question I have as someone who is fascinated with football during the 70s up to mid 80s is why have the BBC not made the match of the day archives available to purchase? It’s great to watch the BIg Match when it is on but so many games and goals I  and other later have never seen will be on the bbc equivalent?

I’m sure Match Of The 70’s was available to buy on vhs back in the 90’s, it would be brilliant if the BBC put them on iplayer. There’s still quite a few of them on YouTube, but as they’re uploaded from old vhs tapes, the picture quality isn’t always the best.

1 hour ago, OneCity said:

Remember playing West Brom in the snow but in 1991 if memory serves. Game was played with an orange ball, and I'm quite sure we won 2-0.

Nope.

Lost 2-1 in 1990, we didn’t play there again until 1993, when we won 1-0.

Hadn’t won there 2-0 since until last season.

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Nope.

Lost 2-1 in 1990, we didn’t play there again until 1993, when we won 1-0.

Hadn’t won there 2-0 since until last season.

Incorrect ;)

I just looked it up. Bristol City 2-0 West Bromwich Albion, February 2nd 1991, Barclays League Division Two. I had thought it was in January right after the new year, but that's definitely the game I remember.

41 minutes ago, OneCity said:

Incorrect ;)

I just looked it up. Bristol City 2-0 West Bromwich Albion, February 2nd 1991, Barclays League Division Two. I had thought it was in January right after the new year, but that's definitely the game I remember.

Sorry, thought you meant away.