IGNORED

Guardiola Ball is NOT the Way

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

They do recycle the ball but it's with a clear purpose. 

They don't pass it back to their cbs for their cbs to just pass it between themselves. 

They might go back to their cb to draw the other team out a bit, or to shift the ball to the other side for example. 

Their recycling of the ball will be more like going back to the cb for the cb to pass it to a midfielder. 

We don't do that. 

I know fella but theres point to their passing and that tap in Man City goal Sterling used seemingly every week to do was no accident.

24 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

IMG_4069.jpeg

There it is do a bit get the opposition lopsided get it over the other side Sterling taps it in but theres some bloke on here saying Bristol City are doing the same things well his dietary advisor should tell him to keep off the apples!! 

2 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

I know fella but theres point to their passing and that tap in Man City goal Sterling used seemingly every week to do was no accident.

There it is do a bit get the opposition lopsided get it over the other side Sterling taps it in but theres some bloke on here saying Bristol City are doing the same things well his dietary advisor should tell him to keep off the apples!! 

When I watch Man City, whilst it can be boring, you can see what they are doing. With us I can't really say that. 

I'd say we're trying to be more tika-taka than Guardiola’s style. 

One of Mannings principles is that if the other team don't have the ball, they can't score. 

1 hour ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

No, I have chosen not to answer it because I have no interest in discussing the merits of 8-1-1 v 2-6-2 add infinitum. The manager will decide what system he wants to play and what we say won't change that

You can dress it up however you like but what it boils down to endless recycling of the ball, are you going to argue that point ..?

I go back to my original post where my point is that copying possession based, constant recycling of the ball with no risks (like Man City do) is what will kill off the game we love as a spectator support because it is as boring as f__k...

If we played like man city and scored 4 or 5 most games, it most certainly wouldnt be boring, and guardiolas barcelona, with messi xavi and iniesta are probably the best technical football team the world has ever seen and scoring 4/5 per game was easy for them… we are bristol city, and not very good, set up with players designed to play counter attacking football and not enough money to sign the players needed to play highly skilled passing football. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

I am not a Liam, or the boss of BCFC.

My favourite City team was Leaning, Bailey, Llewelyn Humphries, Rennie,  Newman, Shelton, Smith, Gavin, Taylor and Carnage as your Bountyhunter put it... But the point I was making as a point, and you avoided was about how modern coaches can simplify football.

Our great but not so modern Sir Joe Jordan went plan A and not much else.

1. Yes, yes I know you're not! Just a wee joke.

2. Thank you for your custom, it was much appreciated.

3. What a team that was!

PS. He is dull, though isn't he? And if the powers that be think there are 20,000 Bristolians interested in watching dull possession football, they've made a terrible mistake (another one!).

To my eyes, the current squad aren't playing as if things have been simplified for them either. Quite the reverse at times.

I fear the Coach is going to need plenty of time and a complete refurb of midfield and attack to make any sort of progress. We have some good defenders and I can see how we've improved when we don't have the ball, especially the pressing bit (which was OK to start with anyway). But when we have the ball, there are games when we are hopeless. Sometimes we're OK but unbelievably wasteful (even when we win - see the Watford game). So overall, I see no significant improvement in our attacking game. I believe he needs time and new players (a lot) for that.   

37 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

No, I didn't say we are doing the same things, I said we are TRYING to copy the style. The ball was repeatedly recycled a few times and then switched, but at 33 .1/3 speed rather than 45 or 78 rpm as Man City do it (one for our older readers)

The amount of times the ball went backwards in Millwall's half was surreal. I can understand wanting to retain possession, but not at the expense of actually trying to score a goal 

8 minutes ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

No, I didn't say we are doing the same things, I said we are TRYING to copy the style. The ball was repeatedly recycled a few times and then switched, but at 33 .1/3 speed rather than 45 or 78 rpm as Man City do it (one for our older readers)

The amount of times the ball went backwards in Millwall's half was surreal. I can understand wanting to retain possession, but not at the expense of actually trying to score a goal 

There was one example when we had the ball circa 10 years from the right corner of the MILLWALL penalty area and four passes later it’s at Max’s feet. That’s just bollocks, end of. There’s resetting and just being plain stupid.

44 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

1. Yes, yes I know you're not! Just a wee joke.

2. Thank you for your custom, it was much appreciated.

3. What a team that was!

PS. He is dull, though isn't he? And if the powers that be think there are 20,000 Bristolians interested in watching dull possession football, they've made a terrible mistake (another one!).

To my eyes, the current squad aren't playing as if things have been simplified for them either. Quite the reverse at times.

He is, but so have been some great Managers, and Manning has been here what feels like a fortnight to get interesting. If its his character sorry Liam your a bit monotone!

This squad is doing what you could expect. Its being formed and are ideas are being implemented. Players will fall away, not have have the aptitudes and some will maintain their level, and players will progress. I have made a parallel in the thread to time x great Coaches and top level talent and seasons to get players to levels. Manning didn't even have a pre season, the players may not be at his physical level and squad conditioning isn't done during a season, implementing new patterns of play when playing sat, tuesday, sat, Jon Lansdown and the bloke who used to be on X  will have to have recruited the messiah here. 

Modern coaching frequently does simplify football. Whats more simplified a modern coach playing with a model of play, recruiting and training to the model, or the modern weekly styles of Lee Johnson long balls short balls high pressing bees in the medium block club bags playing six seven eight formations a season, with an identity Mr Johnson stated he managed to lose/find/lose? That was complex football, allied to mumbo jumbo.

44 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I fear the Coach is going to need plenty of time and a complete refurb of midfield and attack to make any sort of progress. We have some good defenders and I can see how we've improved when we don't have the ball, especially the pressing bit (which was OK to start with anyway). But when we have the ball, there are games when we are hopeless. Sometimes we're OK but unbelievably wasteful (even when we win - see the Watford game). So overall, I see no significant improvement in our attacking game. I believe he needs time and new players (a lot) for that.   

Yes, you have identified an improvement in ten/eleven(?) games, no car crashes and a need for time. I don't fear, the FC made some crass statements. This is not the squad they state it is and the expectations of Jon Lansdown are a nonsense.

Improvement can be the team do have x amount of possession in the first third, the next improvement can be in the second third working from that safe possession zone (blah) of quite a lot of possession as opportunity, its linear back to front, and gradual improvement. 

Time on the training ground, few new players,  ... We are agreed. 

Thank you for the Bountyhunter, I thought it was superb, still do.

Edited by Cowshed
  • Thanks 1

My take - having liked the amusingly OTT OP. I make TV programmes for a living. Shows with big audiences. Have done for the best part of 40 years. I work with large teams of people who know exactly how TV programmes are made, all the technical detail, all the creative jargon.

A handful of people who watch these programmes understand how they are made - or give two hoots. The overwhelming majority watch them to be entertained. It's all about entertainment. Back in the day I worked on Football Focus. The highlights of the previous week's matches were all about what the then editor called 'busters' - cracking goal of the month candidates - not walking the ball into the net. 

I don't know a lot about how footballers are coached, or organised, never really played the game. I have Jonathan Wilson on my shelf - interesting read. I appreciate the insights offered by obviously well informed folk on here. But the pleasure I have got from watching football relates to its capacity to get me out of my seat. Yesterday was a bore fest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

That was so, so, so disappointing yesterday. And boring. Just when I think we’ve turned a corner. Yes, I should know better supporting this club for so many years now, but I always live in hope.

That’s about all I can muster up to say to be honest.

40 minutes ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

I didn't say we are doing the same things, I said we are TRYING to copy the style.

Your not making sense. You wouldn't try to copy the style of Sex Pistols by playing like a school choir. City must be having a pop at some of the same things if their trying to copy Man City which they aint!! 

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

Back in the day I worked on Football Focus. The highlights of the previous week's matches were all about what the then editor called 'busters' - cracking goal of the month candidates

Do you think City could be in with a shout for back pass of the season?