IGNORED

Guardiola Ball is NOT the Way

20 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

So football is easy? Yet you and many people seem to think that, but what’s your day jobs? If it’s that easy you must work for professional football teams.

I didn’t change the context. You two made a point about a pointless stat, I said sarcastically about the sport being that easy to understand.

You think the club shares every detail with its fanbase? Wow Dave your ego is even bigger than I thought 🙈

oh oh oh, remember when everyone thought Matty James was out for 6 weeks (including yourself), played 90 minutes the next game 😂

I never once said you wasn’t supporting the club, and I’m no superfan, in fact I’m far from it.

But yeah Dave carry on being condescending it looks real good on you. 

Oh, Uncle, Uncle, Uncle….read what I actually put.

Listen to the gaffer after the game - team/players still very much in a learning phase and the reality is that the players we have probably aren't good enough for what he wants to do - hopefully January will change some of that - there will be ups and downs before it all clicks I expect

That said couple of shockers today:

- Weimann out wide which has, and will, never work

- Matty James starting with Williams, only one of those two starts for me

- Tommy playing up top on his own, basically getting little boy'd by two giants, us not really getting near him or trying to provide any service to him

I thought both teams played in a very, very similar way today, both press high, both play out from the back and both had some tidy footballers - they were just marginally better than us at it

Edited by KingHillRed
  • Like 7
  • Flames 1

Just now, Simon bristol said:

Agreed, what was happening wasnt working, some alternative plan of how to play just didnt happen,,,maybe 2 strikers through the middle.. maybe encouraging full backs to push on,, and be more positive causing millwall to have to worry about defending against us, but there was only being passive, and then bang, they score,, to the surprise of no one who was watching.

That’s a key point. The subs didn’t change the game plan. It was the same formation and tactics with just different players. If the starting plan was obviously not working for over an hour, why stick with it?  The only slight change was when Cornick came on. This was  only because Sykes was injured, and there was no other option, so he ran around a bit 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

So football is easy? Yet you and many people seem to think that, but what’s your day jobs? If it’s that easy you must work for professional football teams.

I didn’t change the context. You two made a point about a pointless stat, I said sarcastically about the sport being that easy to understand.

You think the club shares every detail with its fanbase? Wow Dave your ego is even bigger than I thought 🙈

oh oh oh, remember when everyone thought Matty James was out for 6 weeks (including yourself), played 90 minutes the next game 😂

I never once said you wasn’t supporting the club, and I’m no superfan, in fact I’m far from it.

But yeah Dave carry on being condescending it looks real good on you. 

Dear all,

Just decided between sweet or salted Popcorn to watch where this goes.

Finally some entertainment today

This could definitely be a front foot forum event.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The turtle said:

Dear all,

Just decided between sweet or salted Popcorn to watch where this goes.

Finally some entertainment today

This could definitely be a front foot forum event.

Not gonna happen unfortunately.

Think Daves reply was a result of him having nothing of worth to reply with.

15 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Modern day football is absolutely dire, it’s slow uninspiring and boring.

I don’t bother watching it these days, and that includes City unfortunately.

Unfortunately, I think there's something to be said for this, and today you had it for a good hour of the match where neither side seemed to be interested in taking a gamble to score.

They got better and fully deserved their win, but sadly these types of games are becoming more and more normal nowadays.

Utterly miserable experience being at this one today.

And got f ing soaked on the way home.

Happy New Year!

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Left back passes to centre half, centre half squares it across to the other centr half, that centre half passes it across to the right back. Right back has a quick look up, decides there is no ball on and then passes back to the centre half who inturn passes it on the the other centre half who then passes it back the the left back.

Occasionally we will get a moment of excitement when the ball will be played back to Max and we are left wondering if it will be played back the one of the defence OR punted up field.

Does that sum it up?

What we were missing today (and in a way the Birmingham game) was an energy, desire and drive to take the game to the opposing team.

When we play teams that sit back and apply the low block we have struggled for a long time now. The teams that come at us, that affords us the space and opportunities. Without that, the onus is on us to generate those "opportunities". Manning referred to it as being "brave", but a number of players today were playing it easy with regards to taking a chance on the ball.

Take Tanner for instance. Millwall obviously saw that Weimann was playing rather than Sykes. They knew that Weimann doesn't have the legs to go outside his man and would come central. They condensed our left side, stopped Mehmeti and Pring and forced us to go right.

Tanner was taking up positions 10-15 yards clear (particularly in the 1st half) and would then retreat those 10-15 yards (unnecessarily at times) to take a pass from Zak. Wallace would follow his retreat from LWB and thus Tanner's first touch would be over protective followed by a pass back to Zak 90% of the time. So frustrating, negative and got the crowd sighing at times.

And as for Conway. 2nd half, bad pass from Millwall and with space to attack the CB from 35 yards and at the very least get a shot off. He neither attacks the CB with intent or gets the aforementioned shot off, taking the easy option to lay it off to Sykes and a wasted opportunity.  What would Semenyo have done there, or a striker that drives with a purpose.

All boils down to our intent on the ball. 30 goals in 26 games tells it's own story.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

No, it’s your MO to change the focus of the discussion with something irrelevant to try to poo-Pooh someone’s opinion as being the same as something non-sensical.

The point stands, with a fitter squad we were doing ok under Nige.  Manning has continued that.  Both managers are pretty reliant on the players at their disposal.

Thats quite simple to understand.  It’s quite a simple concept.  Is it not?  It doesn’t require any super football brain or to be in the pro game to recognise that.  It doesn’t require ITK status, or the inside line.

We are ticking along fine under Manning, today’s result and performance was as disappointing as Hull was the opposite.

Not sure what point you’re really trying to make.

• Like 1

Im old school ( when did that happen) and as I said to a similar aged bloke next to me at Birmingham, I would rather lose trying to win than draw playing not to lose. I really think its a generational thing.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, UncleRed said:

I've been in bed for 3 days. hopefully it ends soon. I needed a laugh, even if only i found it funny.👼😂

Tbh, @Davefevsis normally a top poster, as are you @UncleRed. This here, however, is just what happens when you really really care about your football team.

• Like 1

I have a confession to make, is there a priest on the forum?

I listened to Ian calling in to Radio Bristol and for the first time ever I agreed with pretty much everything he said.

It was an absolutely dreadful performance and the coach has much to do if all the remaining home games don’t go the same way, there is a pattern emerging regardless of the result at home, boring football brought about by the complete lack of risk taking by our players to create goal scoring opportunities.

That has to be on the coach and his team.

3 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I listened to Ian calling in to Radio Bristol and for the first time ever I agreed with pretty much everything he said.

It was an absolutely dreadful performance and the coach has much to do if all the remaining home games don’t go the same way, there is a pattern emerging regardless of the result at home, boring football brought about by the complete lack of risk taking by our players to create goal scoring opportunities.

You mean the bit where he said LM was wrong to pick x, pick y, pick z, but then said he accepted that LM needed to rotate and LM should’ve played Andy King or Jed Meerholz instead.  Was pure Patridge for me tonight.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

100% agree. The football was verging on the final LJ days in terms of not wanting to play forwards

All managers should have time to implement their ideas but I'm concerned that JL has committed to the Playstation football ethos. Anything but that please

Edited by Scrumpys Dietary Advisor..

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You mean the bit where he said LM was wrong to pick x, pick y, pick z, but then said he accepted that LM needed to rotate and LM should’ve played Andy King or Jed Meerholz instead.  Was pure Patridge for me tonight.

He managed to get a number of his stock nonsense phrases in

’ Three 6’5 centre halves ‘

’Midgets’ (FFS)

’Head on a stick’

He was in his standard arrogant , lecturing , I know better mode

• Like 1

There's no pace to the version we play unlike the one Manning likes to play in his head. It's boring going nowhere football. I remember Swansea being famous for it and what a boring unattractive spectacle it was. We simply haven't the players to play that way.

At least the previous manager had the experience and adapted a strategy and played with what he had at his disposal. The difference is that our current head coach has a strategy but not the players to play it. 

Here's the riddle, we have strikers at the club but our head coach can't find a suitable formation to accommodate ANY of them. That's not coaching, that's worrying.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Swede said:

There's no pace to the version we play unlike the one Manning likes to play in his head. It's boring going nowhere football. I remember Swansea being famous for it and what a boring unattractive spectacle it was. We simply haven't the players to play that way.

At least the previous manager had the experience and adapted a strategy and played with what he had at his disposal. The difference is that our current head coach has a strategy but not the players to play it. 

Here's the riddle, we have strikers at the club but our head coach can't find a suitable formation to accommodate ANY of them. That's not coaching, that's worrying.

Agreed, Tommy is a forceful player when he is on his game but he looks lost and a shadow of himself at the moment playing up front on his own.(although part of me wonders about not playing too well in the transfer window)

We just bounced off them today

Edited by Scrumpys Dietary Advisor..

3 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

That you have probably only experienced the kind of football where it is compulsory to pass the ball 300 times before you cross the halfway line I e. not football from the 70's to the turn if the century 

I could be totally wrong, but if I am, you have bought what will be the slow death of what makes people watch football, i.e. passion and excitement, hook line and sinker

So you do not visit for months to comment after some good wins, but regurgitate something you posted in August when NP was in charge 

Screenshot_20240101_215214_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5147621c3a34aec492c5808ba92ea593.jpg

Edited by sh1t_ref_again
double posted

3 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Today was dire, absolutely dire and a prime example of how this modern trend of Play Station football will be the death of the game we love.

It is well known that The Etihad is a library and that is because nothing exciting happens there anymore 

Clubs that try and emulate this beware. Today, 21,000 people were bored rigid watching players endlessly recycling the ball in an attempt to emulate this turgid shite

It was probably the worst atmosphere I think I have ever experienced in 50 years of watching football at The Gate, there was literally nothing to get excited about 

At least the "dinosaur" football that I used to watch was exciting. Wingers taking on their full backs, through balls, crosses, shots, stuff that used to get you out of your seat, ALL GONE thanks to this modern brand of football which is dull as dishwater 

We've been sold the Emperor's new clothes, there is no substance to it, PlayStation is NOT REAL. When are people going to open their eyes to this game killer....

Couldn't agree more!!

Just turgid, repetitive sideways or backwards passes along the defensive line until we make a mistake and give it away.

Still, we must've played well and dominated - cos the stats say we had loads more possession than them!!!!!!!!

I think it all boils down to what we want to see, I’m very much a fan of Manning and was very much not a fan of Pearson. But overall I’m a massive fan of Bristol city. 

I know what I like to watch and that wasn’t what I seen under Pearson and for me, his football was poor and we were poor. I think people forget that because of all the good stuff he done off the pitch. 

Rotherham away springs to mind, one of the worst performances I’ve seen in a long time and bar 15 minutes of absolute magic from Tommy the chat would have been similar to today. 

I personally like what Manning is trying to do and when it’s right, it’s brilliant to watch. 

Today was awful and no matter who you are, you have to admit that. 

There were numerous bad performances under NP too. We just have to keep ploughing on and have faith that LM can get it all clicking (like Watford) for a sustained period of time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingHillRed said:

Listen to the gaffer after the game - team/players still very much in a learning phase and the reality is that the players we have probably aren't good enough for what he wants to do - hopefully January will change some of that - there will be ups and downs before it all clicks I expect

That said couple of shockers today:

- Weimann out wide which has, and will, never work

- Matty James starting with Williams, only one of those two starts for me

- Tommy playing up top on his own, basically getting little boy'd by two giants, us not really getting near him or trying to provide any service to him

I thought both teams played in a very, very similar way today, both press high, both play out from the back and both had some tidy footballers - they were just marginally better than us at it

But how many windows will it take to get a team that's capable of playing his way, especially as we don't splash the cash as we did in the LJ days.

I don't see anymore of our players going for big fees like the last 5 years so makes it harder unless it's frees or loans. 

10 minutes ago, Fpcity said:

But how many windows will it take to get a team that's capable of playing his way, especially as we don't splash the cash as we did in the LJ days.

I don't see anymore of our players going for big fees like the last 5 years so makes it harder unless it's frees or loans. 

There are absolutely good frees and loans out there albeit it doesn't sound inspiring, believe should we be building on this base tbh.

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Liverpool don't win much compared with Man City

Pretty sure under Klopp they've won the Prem, CL, FA Cup, League cup, club World Cup and the super cup. Not bad going really is it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

So you do not visit for months and comment after so e good wind, but regurgitate something you posted when NP was in charge

Not sure what your point is. As you've dug out my old post, you will have also noted that I have been on this forum for 13 years and don't post every 5 minutes...

I post when I see things that concern me and today was one of those days. The type of football we are trying to play is killing the atmosphere in stadia

That is A MASSIVE CONCERN...

4 minutes ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Not sure what your point is. As you've dug out my old post, you will have also noted that I have been on this forum for 13 years and don't post every 5 minutes...

I post when I see things that concern me and today was one of those days. The type of football we are trying to play is killing the atmosphere in stadia

That is A MASSIVE CONCERN...

My point was simple, you have not posted since August, but then post exactly the same as you posted then when Nige was in charge

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There are absolutely good frees and loans out there albeit it doesn't sound inspiring, believe should we be building on this base tbh.

Yeah frees will be ok if we can get the good ones in early. 

Loans I guess we've not been used to having them over the last few years. Maybe Manning has some good connections or can rely on his reputation to get some decent ones 

9 minutes ago, Fpcity said:

Yeah frees will be ok if we can get the good ones in early. 

Loans I guess we've not been used to having them over the last few years. Maybe Manning has some good connections or can rely on his reputation to get some decent ones 

Well I am looking around and there are some I would have on a longish list..

Bird and Willock in midfield to name 2, maybe McIntyre from Reading as a 4th CB..Iorfa might be out of contract, but Transfermarkt not always reliable.

Hladky Ipswich is. Dunno whether they have an option.

Manning used to work at CFG..a resource to be tapped, we as a club are and have been fairly useless at at tapping contacts. 

I don't like it but nepotism and contacts are a key part of the game now. Been around for a while but it is not good.

19 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

My point was simple, you have not posted since August, but then post exactly the same as you posted then when Nige was in charge

My concern is the style if football we are playing and particularly the impact it has on our crowd. Bore everyone stupid and they'll think twice about coming back 

• Like 1