IGNORED

Steve Cotterill's Feedback on Millwall

Alessandro

Sorry if already mentioned - haven’t seen it:

SC was analysing for 5live today from the game - I heard him whilst listening on the motorway.

Made several interesting comments - slightly paraphrased, but this was the jist, not in direction relation to city necessarily, just general comments, but felt pointed at times:

1) Owners sacking managers - owners don’t understand the pressures of being a manager and often expect too much from the resources given. 

2) Blooding youngsters - the pattern he always sees when a good prospect comes through is a burst onto the scene and then a dip in form - it’s then up to the manager to protect that player by “taking them out the firing line” so they can come back stronger. Made me think of a few currently in our squad….

3) Absolutely called our game in the first half - talked about possession football and playing from the back. Asked why do it? Because it’s trendy or because you want or can break the press? Do you have the ability? He took City/Millwall as an example and said City can try and play pretty football all day but if you can’t defend set pieces…and Millwall will get a chance from one today….it’s worthless. Lo and behold…. 

Didn’t listen all game so he may have had more gems - but interesting comments regardless. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

• The title was changed to Steve Cotterill's Feedback on Millwall
1 hour ago, TDarwall said:

I loved Cotts but this really just demonstrates how much easier it is to be a pundit, than a manager.

Our 3-5-2 with attacking centre backs was really not working but boy did he persevere with it! 

Might also suggest it’s easier to see the problems sat up in the stand than from pitch side. I know Shteeve McLaren got a bashing for it but watching the first half from an elevated position as per the rugby teams these days does make a lot of sense. You can see patterns of play that would be impossible to pick out at ground level and allows for a change of tactics at half time. Too simplistic?

28 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Might also suggest it’s easier to see the problems sat up in the stand than from pitch side. I know Shteeve McLaren got a bashing for it but watching the first half from an elevated position as per the rugby teams these days does make a lot of sense. You can see patterns of play that would be impossible to pick out at ground level and allows for a change of tactics at half time. Too simplistic?

That’s what he’s employed James Krause to do isn’t it?