IGNORED

Conway - do we cash in?

As per the above, I have been thoroughly disappointed with Tommy this season. I don’t think the lone role suits him at all, offers very little threat and struggles up against physical CB. With just 18 months to go I would be tempted to sell this month, I don’t think we will get more than £5M to be honest, but we need a better all round striker to progress. A shame as I really hoped this would be his season but lacks that quality required. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Shauntaylor85 said:

I have been thoroughly disappointed with Tommy this season. I don’t think the lone role suits him at all

No it doesn't suit him, but that's not his fault, he's been put in that position. If I was Tommy I'd be looking for an Exit ASAP.

As I said after the QPR game back in Nov...

If no need to sell, we shouldn’t, especially as bids are likely to way lower than anything what we got for Semenyo. His value will actually have reduced this season compared to the end of last season, as clubs will have spotted more of his weaknesses and learnt little more about his strengths.

• Like 1

Cash in on what? A few goals from the penalty spot? He has seriously regressed imo and his body language hasn’t looked right all season. I couldn’t see anyone in our league or higher seriously considering him. Not in January anyway. Think the sale of Scott has maybe meant we don’t get full value on TC now but that is purely an opinion of mine. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

The best of Conway was seen when he and Wells were playing together - we need to play with a front two - and play Knight deeper so he can affect play.

No space for Weimann and Knight as they play the same role - Weimann needs benching (sad to say) and we need to give Knight a chance to be creative.

The passing yesterday was shocking (apart from at time Matty James) as the ball was played to feet (or behind) so every recipient had to stop their run and couldn't take the ball in their stride - this slowed everything down and encouraged too many back and side passing that we have seen for toooooo long.

Watching the Liverpool v Newcastle game when I got home (to S Devon) the biggest difference - apart from the quality of players) was that both teams tried passes, lost possession regularly - then the opposition tried something, and lost possession and they all carried on - more exciting and positive.  Possession football at our level just doesn't work - for the players or the crowd!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

If we cashed in on Conway now we'd get a few hundred k.

Miles away from a consistent Championship goal scorer currently but not all his fault.

I don't think people would be buying a consistent championship goal scorer though, they'd be buying his potential primarily.

I think he's got good attributes - I don't think it'd be worth selling now though as I agree with the gist of your post that we likely wouldn't get enough to make it worthwhile yet. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Cash in on what? A few goals from the penalty spot? He has seriously regressed imo and his body language hasn’t looked right all season. I couldn’t see anyone in our league or higher seriously considering him. Not in January anyway. Think the sale of Scott has maybe meant we don’t get full value on TC now but that is purely an opinion of mine. 

Regressing implies he's actively getting worse to me which I disagree with. All players go through peaks and troughs, you just have to hope the average of them is increasing. Those peaks/troughs are more pronounced with young players as well. Tommy is in a bit of a trough at the moment but it's also a tough situation on the pitch for him, and upheaval off it (best mate leaving, manager change).

I don't think he's getting worse though, and I think he'll improve.

• Like 6

Just now, IAmNick said:

I don't think people would be buying a consistent championship goal scorer though, they'd be buying his potential primarily.

I think he's got good attributes - I don't think it'd be worth selling now though as I agree with the gist of your post that we likely wouldn't get enough to make it worthwhile yet. 

Regressing implies he's actively getting worse to me which I disagree with. All players go through peaks and troughs, you just have to hope the average of them is increasing. Those peaks/troughs are more pronounced with young players as well. Tommy is in a bit of a trough at the moment but it's also a tough situation on the pitch for him, and upheaval off it (best mate leaving, manager change).

I don't think he's getting worse though, and I think he'll improve.

Idk. Can buy peaks and troughs but he has had no peak for almost a season. Of course manager change, Scott leaving and a few injuries. I just haven’t seen it from him though for near a year now. More worrying is the body language and I am not certain he is working as hard out of possession as he did before. Maybe worried about his hamstrings? Something feels off with him. Not writing him off by any means but we were relying on him this season imo and he hasn’t been close to the levels needed. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

As per the above, I have been thoroughly disappointed with Tommy this season. I don’t think the lone role suits him at all, offers very little threat and struggles up against physical CB. With just 18 months to go I would be tempted to sell this month, I don’t think we will get more than £5M to be honest, but we need a better all round striker to progress. A shame as I really hoped this would be his season but lacks that quality required. 

I don't think hes been himself since returning and the current role doesn't suit.

I'm sure there's a player in there worth a lot more than £5m ultimately though, but the set up would need to suit his strengths.

A dilemma for the club of nest egg building versus football principles perhaps, and I think the latter prevails so early in Mannings tenure, so currently I don't see things changing.

Enough clubs would have seen the quality last season though, so maybe a bid will be incoming that might surprise everyone ?

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Idk. Can buy peaks and troughs but he has had no peak for almost a season. Of course manager change, Scott leaving and a few injuries. I just haven’t seen it from him though for near a year now. More worrying is the body language and I am not certain he is working as hard out of possession as he did before. Maybe worried about his hamstrings? Something feels off with him. Not writing him off by any means but we were relying on him this season imo and he hasn’t been close to the levels needed. 

He's been instructed to not work as hard out of possession and been told to stay in the middle.

Personally I miss the Tommy of last season where he was buzzing around defenders, forcing mistakes and running from deeper to get on the end of things.

• Like 19

To cash in we would need a bid, to get decent money he would need to be tearing it up and as we could have prime Lineker up front and he wouldn't score many more. We have pretty much stopped making chances the last few games , yet he has 6 in 13 starts . The system doesn't suit him, as I and many thought his best games came alongside Nahki. Manning isn't going to change the shape to play 2 strikers , so I think we need to get a genuine attacking player around him instead of Knight. Not sure Wells or Weimann fit the bill, I've said elsewhere I'd try Mehmeti but someone to get nearer TC.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

To cash in we would need a bid, to get decent money he would need to be tearing it up and as we could have prime Lineker up front and he wouldn't score many more. We have pretty much stopped making chances the last few games , yet he has 6 in 13 starts . The system doesn't suit him, as I and many thought his best games came alongside Nahki. Manning isn't going to change the shape to play 2 strikers , so I think we need to get a genuine attacking player around him instead of Knight. Not sure Wells or Weimann fit the bill, I've said elsewhere I'd try Mehmeti but someone to get nearer TC.

Agree, Rush was perhaps the best striker I’ve seen, but his life was made an awful lot easier playing alongside Dalglish. 

• Like 2

Arghhhh he's being played in the wrong position and his value is decreasing by the game. He is NOT a lone striker and he is NOT Alan Shearer like, someone needs to tell Manning.

Should be banging them in from a withdrawn, second striker position = £10m +

As it was I think we are looking at £5m max, not a couple of hundred thousand 😂😂 for his potential

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

So he’s not good enough for us BUT he’s worth up to £5m.  Ooookay 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Bhoy would he be a good signing for someone. 

We mentioned Celtic as an option yesterday when chatting about this at the game. Would be a good fit there, especially given his Scottish connections and representations.   Would much rather he stayed here though and was used appropriately but looks lost atm and despite saying the contrary I think Nige’s leaving has maybe hit him a bit harder than most, alongside losing his best mate to Bournemouth.   

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

He's well off it at the moment - cuts a lonely figure nowadays. 

No way do we get £5m for him. He's still learning and will hopefully improve 

There is no doubt in my mind that he is quality......but he is young, being played in the wrong role and gets no service.  In the the correct tactical set up he would thrive, I am very Disappointed in LM for persisting with the lone striker formation?  There is nothing wrong with the tactics, it is just that Tommy is just not suited to it?  I do appreciate that LM has little choice, to an extent, so it is now up to him to find a solution during the window, and show us just how tactically aware he is?  We have failed to score against Rooney's (GONE!) Birmingham and a very average Millwall side.............Tommy should NOT  , and i am certain will NOT be sold, but it is now up to our new manager to create a team that plays to TC's strengths.

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

If we cashed in on Conway now we'd get a few hundred k.

Miles away from a consistent Championship goal scorer currently but not all his fault.

Before his injury he would have left the defender in his wake when he was put through one on one but now whether can't or wont run flat out, he certainly has lost a lot of pace. Also is not suitable to play as the lone striker. Simply not his game.

7 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Before his injury he would have left the defender in his wake when he was put through one on one but now whether can't or wont run flat out, he certainly has lost a lot of pace. Also is not suitable to play as the lone striker. Simply not his game.

Our Tech Director before his exile (first time around) from X, suggested that he was worth more than £20M……..

• Haha 2

TC has been disappointing in open play, bar his Cameo role at Rotherham, but as many have said playing the lone striker role is not really suiting him. I think we should be offering new contract in the summer and only off-loading if he won't sign an extension.

I do agree that he seems to have lost a yard of pace since returning from injury though.

Just now, old_eastender said:

TC has been disappointing in open play, bar his Cameo role at Rotherham, but as many have said playing the lone striker role is not really suiting him. I think we should be offering new contract in the summer and only off-loading if he won't sign an extension.

I do agree that he seems to have lost a yard of pace since returning from injury though.

People who know more about it than me have said that the new contract has been on the table for some time now.

• Like 2