IGNORED

Conway - do we cash in?

On 07/01/2024 at 17:43, Andy082005 said:

Just wanted to bump this thread to the top as even though it’s only the 6th January - I believe it should be contender for most ridiculous post of the year.

….and that’s with me posting on here to! 😄

Andy, with 11 months still to go,  I think you are suffering from premature speculation! :whistle:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

No apology necessary! 

I do disagree but that’s the beauty of a football forum. 1 in 2 is great form for a forward at almost any club, and while two are penalties, as you say they need putting away.

Agree he’s had some off games but to write him off from them is very premature imo. I don’t think I’ve yo yo’d on him, I’ve thought Wells should get some starts at times over TC (or with him) but I’ve always thought Tommy’s a very good young player, with the off games that come with that.

At the risk of dragging this out (despite agreeing with most of what you say) - I don't think he is anywhere near 1 in 2 (even with pens - which probably shouldn't count as a comparison with strikers who don't take them, or clubs that rarely get them!!). Bristol Live quoted the 7 in 20 yesterday (probably not the most reliable source though) So 5 in 20 exc pens as we have probably had our share for this calendar year.  Or 1 in 4, so 12 a league season. Surely we need better, I hope you are right that he can improve, but the strikers that go for the sort of sums being touted on otib tend to be hitting the net more regularly? For example Maynard was 1 in 2 before us, Tammy hit that sort of ratio with us etc

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

At the risk of dragging this out (despite agreeing with most of what you say) - I don't think he is anywhere near 1 in 2 (even with pens - which probably shouldn't count as a comparison with strikers who don't take them, or clubs that rarely get them!!). Bristol Live quoted the 7 in 20 yesterday (probably not the most reliable source though) So 5 in 20 exc pens as we have probably had our share for this calendar year.  Or 1 in 4, so 12 a league season. Surely we need better, I hope you are right that he can improve, but the strikers that go for the sort of sums being touted on otib tend to be hitting the net more regularly? For example Maynard was 1 in 2 before us, Tammy hit that sort of ratio with us etc

Well, the facts are facts. 🤷🏻‍♂️

7 goals in 1209 mins.  A goal every 173 mins….better than 1 in 2.

If you’re gonna ignore penalties, then he’s scored 4 in 1209 mins….just worse than 1 in 3.  That’s hardly terrible.

image.thumb.png.f18c55f6fbd0ca8a390ff3c134828466.png

And Bristol Post we’re 100% accurate too! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maynard; a goal every 221 mins, including pens! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Abraham; a goal every 144 mins - stellar goalscoring, including pens! ✅

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maynard was a year or 2 older than Conway for a start. Not altogether the same type of player were they.

He was not the same after his lengthy injury layoff, he lost something- still had it in fits and starts but not overall IMO. Missed a lot of 2010-11 due to said injury.

I digress, his attitude became problematic too- remember SL proclaiming we wouldn't sell him in summer 2011 unless we got fee £x which I can't remmeber without checking. He went in the January 2012 window for much less.

According to the belter behind me on Sunday, Conway isn't a Championship Striker! Soon changed his mind when he scored. And then moaned when he was Subbed saying he was the best player on the pitch!. So in 60mins His worth rose by at least £20M. 

• Haha 2