IGNORED

Attempts on target last two games

Jerseybean

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Agree with this. TC is too isolated and I am not convinced Knight is best utilised that far forward. Weimann only seems to contribute when he is played as a striker yet he gets put on the wing.

Just not sure Manning is playing what we have in the way of attacking players in their most effective positions. Mehmeti on the left having to constantly cut back onto his right foot being particularly frustrating.

A lot of forwards but we can’t score and we are playing a midfielder up front (Knight). Suggests the problems might be in the supply and the formation. Something for Manning to ponder but will he change?

Don’t want to appear a smart arse but I posted before yesterday’s game in response to someone who said that we would win 3-1 that it would be a slog & I wouldn’t be surprised if a single goal decided it.

Bigger picture is whether Holden, Pearson or Manning is in charge we consistently struggle against the Millwalls, Birminghams & Prestons of this division whereas games against those who come to play (West Brom, Sunderland, Boro, Norwich) are usually entertaining & we often get something.

It is a bigger issue than yesterday & one that needs addressing, Manning certainly has a style he wants to implement & whilst I’m not going to pretend it is what I’d like to see, he is no fool & presumably will be looking to shape the squad to better suit this style.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

IMG_9482.thumb.jpeg.f782acd64ab131c62d1684a39176f716.jpeg

Heres the game by game summary, suggest you save and zoom!!!

IMG_9483.thumb.jpeg.538683b800ed7acb392877178477b3de.jpeg

@ExiledAjax

Out of interest is there a stat on retaining the ball from a throw in?
Very basic, but yesterday we rarely seemed to keep the ball when it was our throw, and given it’s uncontested possession why wouldn’t we take more care when it’s our throw?

I get the long throw into the opponent’s box hoping to get on the end of it, but other throws just seem to be down the line and give it away.

I read the comment that Liam Manning says his team lacked bravery! 

I think that comment is spot on! The question is why?

We looked like a team scared to pass forward or even be forward looking. The boos as we passed the ball backward yet again support that. 

The Birmingham game could have been completely different if Mehmeti hadn’t headed wide with an open goal from five yards, but there we are goals change games missing chances assures that games don’t change. 

The game yesterday was a soul sucking festival of utter dross where many were praying for half time, the sight of so many empty seats at the beginning of the second half certainly makes you think a lot had an extra beer at ht. 

The second half was so devoid of anything except the utter fear of losing the ball in possession and waiting for the inevitable moment the opposition scored it was a train wreck of something way way way worse than mediocrity. 

Fear was clear, but it would seem the fear comes from the way Mr Manning wants us to play. His way, the only way he knows or trusts, to keep the ball at all costs and play in your own half as much as you like but don’t lose the effing thing. Thus creativity is stifled risk taking is frowned upon and the lesser spotted entertainment is sucked out with crowd interaction and the joy of Christmas/football.  

Im still hoping the bloke is going to be a huge success. However to lurch between the extreme ends of the spectrum on the field is a lot to take. 

46 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Very basic, but yesterday we rarely seemed to keep the ball when it was our throw, and given it’s uncontested possession why wouldn’t we take more care when it’s our throw?

I get the long throw into the opponent’s box hoping to get on the end of it, but other throws just seem to be down the line and give it away.

Yes, we completed 28/36 successfully….however that just means we got the next touch 28/36, not what happened afterwards.  So I ignore it.

21 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

We looked like a team scared to pass forward or even be forward looking. The boos as we passed the ball backward yet again support that. 

The Birmingham game could have been completely different if Mehmeti hadn’t headed wide with an open goal from five yards, but there we are goals change games missing chances assures that games don’t change. 

The game yesterday was a soul sucking festival of utter dross where many were praying for half time, the sight of so many empty seats at the beginning of the second half certainly makes you think a lot had an extra beer at ht. 

The second half was so devoid of anything except the utter fear of losing the ball in possession and waiting for the inevitable moment the opposition scored it was a train wreck of something way way way worse than mediocrity. 

Fear was clear, but it would seem the fear comes from the way Mr Manning wants us to play. His way, the only way he knows or trusts, to keep the ball at all costs and play in your own half as much as you like but don’t lose the effing thing. Thus creativity is stifled risk taking is frowned upon and the lesser spotted entertainment is sucked out with crowd interaction and the joy of Christmas/football.  

Im still hoping the bloke is going to be a huge success. However to lurch between the extreme ends of the spectrum on the field is a lot to take. 

Just on that Mehmeti chance, I honestly think Pring could have followed it up to make absolutely sure (offside risk permitting).

Easy to say in hindsight I know.

21 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I did say to the bloke next to me after an hour "its just a case of waiting for Millwall to score now"...............it's the hope of thinking we might just have got away with it that kills you!!

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I did say to the bloke next to me after an hour "its just a case of waiting for Millwall to score now"...............it's the hope of thinking we might just have got away with it that kills you!!

Exactly. 

The fear appears to have a direct line to Mr Manning so I guess it’s easy for the bloke to identify! 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, we completed 28/36 successfully….however that just means we got the next touch 28/36, not what happened afterwards.  So I ignore it.

I know I’m being a pain, but is it possible to measure if we got more than one consecutive touch after the throw? I.E. some kind of meaningful possession.

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

As my post history probably shows I’m supportive of our current squad but if there is one area we can hugely improve then it is this.

Far too often the thrower is confronted by one simple throw possibility (usually to Williams) & one other option, often to Conway or Weimann.

Everyone else is stood still, waiting for something to happen. 
We have to become better at this element, I understand you don’t disrupt shape by having 5 or 6 players running all over the place but we are too static & predictable.

49 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I know I’m being a pain, but is it possible to measure if we got more than one consecutive touch after the throw? I.E. some kind of meaningful possession.

I could do, but that would mean watching every clip, and that uses up valuable minutes of my Wyscout monthly video allowance….and I’d rather use it on watching players.  Soz!

I’m guessing the full 90 will be available at some point.

Edited by Davefevs

6 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

You don’t need to be a coach or in fact know anything much about football to realise that one attempt on target (Knight’s header yesterday) in our last two games is a huge concern.

Many have commented on our lack of creativity and the backwards/sideways passing, which doesn’t threaten the opposition, the fact we have only managed one goal attempt in the last three hours plus of football has to be addressed if we are going to progress.

With who though ? I honestly don't trust the recruitment down there to bring in anyone who can make a difference, talk of looking at leauge one and out of favour championship players whos contracts won't be renewed by there parent club it's always just cheap and underwhelming I don't think the ambition is there from the board I honestly will be prepared to be very underwhelmed by our recruitment I'd love to be pleasantly surprised but not counting on it. Or it will be some 21, 22 year old who will take a few years to get up to speed it's just the same old as far as recruitment is concerned. Even then we need to play them in there correct positions instead of all this square pegs in round holes all the time.

Edited by BCFC31

19 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

With who though ? I honestly don't trust the recruitment down there to bring in anyone who can make a difference, talk of looking at leauge one and out of favour championship players whos contracts won't be renewed by there parent club it's always just cheap and underwhelming I don't think the ambition is there from the board I honestly will be prepared to be very underwhelmed by our recruitment I'd love to be pleasantly surprised but not counting on it. Or it will be some 21, 22 year old who will take a few years to get up to speed it's just the same old as far as recruitment is concerned. Even then we need to play them in there correct positions instead of all this square pegs in round holes all the time.

Bird, Coventry, Willock.

All out of contract in the summer, all midfielders who can bring something.

Splashing big fees is useful but not always the be all and end all.

Whether we would make a serious bid to sign one or more of those Idk but a bit much to dismiss free agents verbatim IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bird, Coventry, Willock.

All out of contract in the summer, all midfielders who can bring something.

Splashing big fees is useful but not always the be all and end all.

Whether we would make a serious bid to sign one or more of those Idk but a bit much to dismiss free agents verbatim IMO.

other clubs will be in for these players and we will get out spent every time on wages and fees. There seems to be a huge lack of investment into the playing side the past few years hence the preference to shoe horn academy lads in to the starting XI who clearly arent ready we are shopping in lidl while other championship clubs pick up good players.

Edited by BCFC31

1 minute ago, BCFC31 said:

I dont even think the club would have the nouse to go for them personally I just don't trust them basically 🤷🏻 plus other clubs will be in for these players and we will get out spend every time on wages and fees.

Oh absolutely there would be a lot of competition and maybe we wouldn't stretch to it..I hope they would be on our medium to long list at the very least. 

We have more headroom than a number of clubs too, clearly that becomes unimportant if Parachute or PL clubs are keen but there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to compete with a fair few clubs at this level wage wise.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh absolutely there would be a lot of competition and maybe we wouldn't stretch to it..I hope they would be on our medium to long list at the very least. 

We have more headroom than a number of clubs too, clearly that becomes unimportant if Parachute or PL clubs are keen but there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to compete with a fair few clubs at this level wage wise.

I think its time the board step up now personally it's all talk for me go and back your man now and go and instill some faith back  into your fan base our support has been brilliant considering the absolute dross we have had to watch over the past few years while watching all our talent get sold we need investment james williams weimann can all go aswell in the summer as far as I am concerned we need legs and most importantly quality for once.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

Our incompetence from throw ins has driven me mad for years and years! We either concede pocession, play it back to the thrower (who is immediately in a difficult spot, with no good options) or go backwards! 

8 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Firstly define what kind of player you need. Secondly look around at who might be available and affordable. Form a list and rank them and then see who you can get. Most likely, it will either be someone not currently getting a game at this level with not much time left on their contract, or a player from a lower league either home or abroad. That’s the long and short of it, and the problem is there is no guarantee that what you really want even exists, which is where you may have to compromise. Cornick strikes me as a “compromise buy” as a replacement for Chris Martin. But as we now know his strike rate makes Martin look like Pele!

I don’t think that either a creative midfielder and or a striker who could power us up the league in the short term does exist from an availability and certainly an affordability perspective. Therefore my best bet for immediate impact would be the loan market from the prem, however I don’t think for one minute that we show the drive and ambition of the genuine top 6 contenders who year on year absolutely do utilise this loan market. No point at all in making likely relatively expensive compromise signings in January, although I’m guessing this is where we’ll be going with Brannagan from Oxford being one of the likely targets.

• Like 1

5 on target today away to a top side who probably approached the game more like Watford than Birmingham or Millwall.

I think it indicates that we're just a bit better suited to playing teams that - to use a cliché - want to play football.

We're not so good at creating opportunities against teams that sit back, look to disrupt us, and generally play a slightly more "solid" game.

We'll see how we go against PNE but I'm pretty confident they won't play like Brum or Millwall and so we should get opportunities, and should threaten.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

We're not so good at creating opportunities against teams that sit back, look to disrupt us, and generally play a slightly more "solid" game.

That is THE CHALLENGE for managers who are trying to play Pep-ball with players of ability that’s not top for the division they are in.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That is THE CHALLENGE for managers who are trying to play Pep-ball with players of ability that’s not top for the division they are in.

Thats a good point Dave and the reason why we need 1 or 2 "clever" players in the final 3rd.

Cundle would be a good addition and i still feel we could do with some genuine pace too.

If Manning is able to bring a couple in, then i really do think we are moving in the right direction.

2 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Thats a good point Dave and the reason why we need 1 or 2 "clever" players in the final 3rd.

Cundle would be a good addition and i still feel we could do with some genuine pace too.

If Manning is able to bring a couple in, then i really do think we are moving in the right direction.

Joe Williams playing for a contract….somewhere!!!  His energy makes a difference when he’s “on his game”.  He can be erratic, but he looked top-drawer at times today.  Body shape for the pass….wow!

But back to your point, yes, that bit of creativity that can open up a team is the missing link we need.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeh. I kind of see it as the "next level" we're looking to get to.

Defence is broadly sorted. We're hard to beat. We can play in space and on the counter. We're pretty physical. We're fit.

Next box to tick is "breaking down stubborn opposition".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I definitely like the direction we’re moving in under Manning, I feel like we could be on to something good. Which made Brum and Millwall all the more upsetting. 

If we can find the formula to play and score against low-block teams, be that tactics, confidence or new personnel, I think we’re the best bet we’ve been for a play-off spot since mid LJ. But if we can’t, I think we continue to fall short. Comfy mid-table still, no relegation danger, but not quite a promotion contender.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1