IGNORED

PL v EFL TV deal wrangling

26 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The issue is protectionism, the PL clubs have an equal vote for any changes to the PL, so they have always tried to ensure if anyone falls out of the cushy little club they have a massive advantage to come straight back up, therefore protecting themselves.

PL was always about greed of the bigger clubs and 2 fingers to football in general, that's what made me laugh at the clubs kicking off over a super league, when in effect it was exactly what the PL did.

Always said only way is to introduce wage reductions into contracts to bring relegated clubs wages in line with Champ

Agree, conceptually you have to make it MANDATORY for all contracts

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They have wage reductions, just not big enough.

The issue at the moment is:

Player A offered £100k p.w.

Little PL club wants to insert 40% relegation reduction.

Bigger PL club doesn’t bother.

Who does the player sign for, all other things being equal?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True. Albeit the problem there is that if you cut wages 70-75% it makes it easier to retain on one level, and harder on others, players signed in the PL thereby potentially weakening the competitive balance.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, conceptually you have to make it MANDATORY for all contracts

The issue at the moment is:

Player A offered £100k p.w.

Little PL club wants to insert 40% relegation reduction.

Bigger PL club doesn’t bother.

Who does the player sign for, all other things being equal?

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The top teams will always get the pick of the players, it may make it a little more difficult for the bottom end to recruit, maybe less players coming in from foreign teams, so likely some re-alignment, but they will still not have problem getting players to showcase themselves in the prem.

Even if the differential was significantly reduced to a point where PL teams relegated are given a bit more room in the first 2 years on FFP, so can pay slightly higher wages out of the the money they made from the prem, without the need for PP

Would need to be enforced that all new contract contain a relegation clause, maybe players would also need to negotiate a release clause that they can be sold with a bid above x value

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Would need to be enforced that all new contract contain a relegation clause, maybe players would also need to negotiate a release clause that they can be sold with a bid above x value

Yes, good point…I believe some players do exactly that currently.

On 05/01/2024 at 13:32, ZumerZetSmithy said:

if i fail at my job i loose 100% of my wages  , if a team in PL gets relegated they have failed  so should not be paid extra at all 

They are paid to play - they arent paid, to get a certain result - thats where bonuses come in