IGNORED

SPOTY

Lorenzos Only Goal

18 hours ago, Rob k said:

Well she shouldn’t have won that award in my opinion, plenty of others more deserving, Lucy Charles-Barclay for one.

We’ll all have different views about who should have won. Barton’s entitled to his, just as you and I are.

But his comments go way beyond that, don’t they? “Women” in that derogatory way. Getting personally offensive. Implied criticism of people who just don’t happen to share his view.

He really is a thoroughly unpleasant individual. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, italian dave said:

We’ll all have different views about who should have won. Barton’s entitled to his, just as you and I are.

But his comments go way beyond that, don’t they? “Women” in that derogatory way. Getting personally offensive. Implied criticism of people who just don’t happen to share his view.

He really is a thoroughly unpleasant individual. 

I agree he’s a nasty person and should never talk about anyone the way he does - however, and i appreciate this will be an unpopular view, something like this gives him ammunition imo, what has she done to deserve this award, or even be nominated for it? I will be honest though and say, i don’t watch this program anymore so i could well be missing something. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I agree he’s a nasty person and should never talk about anyone the way he does - however, and i appreciate this will be an unpopular view, something like this gives him ammunition imo, what has she done to deserve this award, or even be nominated for it? I will be honest though and say, i don’t watch this program anymore so i could well be missing something. 

Word for word pretty much agree with all of this. It was a public vote though to be fair (I think?).

22 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I don’t watch it either, so I’m probably no better qualified! But, I guess, being the star player in a national side that’s reached a World Cup final?

You can debate the relative merits of different sports: some would argue that darts or snooker aren’t as worthy of recognition as “proper” sports like football of cricket. But that’s not really the point.

It gives him ammunition, but only ammunition to be nasty. Whatever you think of women’s football, Mary Earps has been successful in her field: more successful than Barton last year, by some distance. Even if you disagree, just be gracious and congratulate a fellow sports person.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, italian dave said:

I don’t watch it either, so I’m probably no better qualified! But, I guess, being the star player in a national side that’s reached a World Cup final?

You can debate the relative merits of different sports: some would argue that darts or snooker aren’t as worthy of recognition as “proper” sports like football of cricket. But that’s not really the point.

It gives him ammunition, but only ammunition to be nasty. Whatever you think of women’s football, Mary Earps has been successful in her field: more successful than Barton last year, by some distance. Even if you disagree, just be gracious and congratulate a fellow sports person.

Yeah i get what you’re saying, there are seperate arguments really.  Did she deserve a nomination, not in my opinion as i think there are a lot of others out there that are more worthy of the award this year, (and for me it has nothing to do with the fact shes a women as my nomination would have been a different woman) but as she was nominated and won, then your right, just say well done. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, italian dave said:

For me i would of gave it to Katrina Johnson Thompson, the work and amount of training that athletes, swimmers, cyclists etc have to put in throughout the year to be the best in their sport is unbelievable, for her to come back after all her injuries to retain the world title last year was an amazing achievement, the incredible Ronnie O'Sullivan would of been not far behind, i wouldn't have had Earps in the top 10     

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TV Tom said:

For me i would of gave it to Katrina Johnson Thompson, the work and amount of training that athletes, swimmers, cyclists etc have to put in throughout the year to be the best in their sport is unbelievable, for her to come back after all her injuries to retain the world title last year was an amazing achievement, the incredible Ronnie O'Sullivan would of been not far behind, i wouldn't have had Earps in the top 10     

Shame you didn't vote then. It's like any election that's predicated on first past the post.

On 22/12/2023 at 10:12, TV Tom said:

The problem was the shortlist wasn't very good and it's a public vote and in the public eye Mary Earps has a lot of followers and fans. The sad thing is, someone like Lanfranco Detorri should have won a lifetime achievement award, not been put forward for the main event which he would never win. I agree KJT would have been more worthy than Mary Earps, and would have been the most fitting winner, but in a popularity contest which is what it is now, those who are in the public eye, followed and adored by many, will win for their popularity rather than achievement. 

10 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

The problem was the shortlist wasn't very good and it's a public vote and in the public eye Mary Earps has a lot of followers and fans. The sad thing is, someone like Lanfranco Detorri should have won a lifetime achievement award, not been put forward for the main event which he would never win. I agree KJT would have been more worthy than Mary Earps, and would have been the most fitting winner, but in a popularity contest which is what it is now, those who are in the public eye, followed and adored by many, will win for their popularity rather than achievement. 

Agreed, in particular with Detorri, if it’s going to be a “personality” that wins it then he’s your man