IGNORED

The Popularity of Horse Racing

Red-Robbo

On 24/12/2023 at 18:02, TV Tom said:

Agreed, in particular with Detorri, if it’s going to be a “personality” that wins it then he’s your man

Unfortunately, as we see whenever racing is discussed here, it's not a mass popularity sport in the UK and criticism of it is growing massively.

There are lots who adore horse racing but many who despise it and the bulk of the public are probably totally indifferent. 

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Unfortunately, as we see whenever racing is discussed here, it's not a mass popularity sport in the UK and criticism of it is growing massively.

There are lots who adore horse racing but many who despise it and the bulk of the public are probably totally indifferent. 

How do you determine it's not a mass popularity sport?

There are several race meetings EVERY day in UK except Christmas eve and day

These "smaller meetings are always attended by several hundred spectators

The larger meeting in most weekend are attended by thousands

And the major meetings if which there must be 20 UK wide going on for several days are attended globally by millions

That's in addition to the people who view on TV every day!

Racing is huge, massively so and while I certainly don't want an argument with you or others about it, long may it continue!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

And the major meetings if which there must be 20 UK wide going on for several days are attended globally by millions

Racing is huge, massively so and while I certainly don't want an argument with you or others about it, long may it continue!

Good point, I would  imagine racing attracts many many more spectators in a year than women’s football, the Epsom Derby used to regularly attract a quarter of a million 

2 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Good point, I would  imagine racing attracts many many more spectators in a year than women’s football, the Epsom Derby used to regularly attract a quarter of a million 

I think it’s one of the most popular sports however I’d expect the massive difference is most aren’t there for the actual horse racing.

From my experience most people are there to dress up and enjoy a day out, and put a few bets on and couldn’t care less about the actual racing, or WHO wins.

Besides going now and again for a big occasion, how many actively follow the sport?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think it’s one of the most popular sports however I’d expect the massive difference is most aren’t there for the actual horse racing.

From my experience most people are there to dress up and enjoy a day out, and put a few bets on and couldn’t care less about the actual racing, or WHO wins.

Besides going now and again for a big occasion, how many actively follow the sport?

As you say, it depends on what you count as 'interest' or 'following'. I have a bunch of mates who regularly bet on it, but none of them 'follow' it or have any clue about particular horses, and sometimes don't even watch it. It's just some passive weekend fun for them.

Edited by nebristolred

6 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

As you say, it depends on what you count as 'interest' or 'following'. I have a bunch of mates who regularly bet on it, but none of them 'follow' it or have any clue about particular horses, and sometimes don't even watch it. It's just some passive weekend fun for them.

Crowds are going down as the ‘casual punter’ is getting fed up of the ridiculous price of beer at these places. Our group for one has definitely got smaller all down to the prices on course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Crowds are going down as the ‘casual punter’ is getting fed up of the ridiculous price of beer at these places. Our group for one has definitely got smaller all down to the prices on course.

Hahaha, what a blinkered personal opinion!

Not everyone goes for the beer and won't stop going because it's £1 more expensive than down the pub!

It's a huge sport followed by millions

4 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Hahaha, what a blinkered personal opinion!

Not everyone goes for the beer and won't stop going because it's £1 more expensive than down the pub!

It's a huge sport followed by millions

It’s not a blinkered view at all, read what i wrote.  £7.50 a pint puts the casual race goer off. How many thousands was attendance down by for the King George day at Kempton this year compared to pre Covid attendances? 
I have a Cheltenham membership and some of the meetings have been very quiet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, frenchred said:

I work with the racing industry worldwide on a number of projects - these are figures produced by them: other than in a few highly publicised carnival and marquee Group One racedays, attendances are falling as is wagering.

They are quite worried about the ageing demographic that follows racing closely in the West (attendances continue to grow in the Arabian Peninsula and South Africa) so are investing heavily in programmes designed to attract young people to race courses and the equestrian industry generally.

5 hours ago, TV Tom said:

UK TV audience - the 2023 women's World Cup final 14.46 million; UK TV audience the 2023 Grand National - 8.8 million.

Yes, people go en masse to individual high-profile events, but as a sport overall, attendances are declining.  Women's football attendances are rising throughout Europe.

It is no surprise at all to me that Mary Earps beat Frankie. 

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I work with the racing industry worldwide on a number of projects - these are figures produced by them: other than in a few highly publicised carnival and marquee Group One racedays, attendances are falling as is wagering.

They are quite worried about the ageing demographic that follows racing closely in the West (attendances continue to grow in the Arabian Peninsula and South Africa) so are investing heavily in programmes designed to attract young people to race courses and the equestrian industry generally.

Fair enough I respect your words

It's still the third highest spectator sport in UK behind only football and rugby so still has quite a strong appeal and support

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rob k said:

It’s not a blinkered view at all, read what i wrote.  £7.50 a pint puts the casual race goer off. How many thousands was attendance down by for the King George day at Kempton this year compared to pre Covid attendances? 
I have a Cheltenham membership and some of the meetings have been very quiet. 

I pay £6.60 a pint in hall and Woodhouse in portishead! Honestly have no idea in regards to king George figures

5 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Fair enough I respect your words

It's still the third highest spectator sport in UK behind only football and rugby so still has quite a strong appeal and support

I'm a fan, so hopefully the measures taken will keep the sport attracting new viewers. 

On 28/12/2023 at 10:44, frenchred said:

I pay £6.60 a pint in hall and Woodhouse in portishead! Honestly have no idea in regards to king George figures

Madness! I pay £4.00 for a better pint (Thundering Molly cider) in Sirens Calling and get a free pint every 10, with my loyalty card. 

It pays to shop around and it's only a 200 metre walk from H and W. :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Cheltenham tomorrow a prime example - it’s a shocking card. 

And yet Cheltenham are still trying to flog it as a high class day of racing

Now I understand with the calibre of horses and prize money available they can lay claims to this but to your average joe punter (like me) it's crap!

If I hadn't already got tickets I wouldn't go but as I got tickets for me and the Mrs and a meal booked I'll be there

And I gave away my season ticket for that!

Edited by frenchred

On 28/12/2023 at 00:56, Red-Robbo said:

Back in  the 70's early 80's British racing was in a real bad way with lots of racecources on the verge of going under ,even Aintree and the world famous Grand National were under threat . Many of the smaller tracks were just relics of a bygone age not much different to the football stadium's at the time ,but during the mid to late 80,s thanks to an influx of owners from the middle east things began to change .At the time we in the racing community were quite wary of the new money coming into racing with horses that we struggled to understand their names . Its my firm opinion that this influx of foreign owners helped save racing  as we know it and with more money coming into the coffers it allowed racecourses to modernise and attract new customers ,but one of the drawbacks with this is that it has attracted a high percentage of bellends . The problem that faces British and European racing now is the rise of racing in The middle east who are now building the best racetracks by far and running race meetings with a purse that most other country's can only dream about. i was lucky enough to attend the world cup last year in Dubai and it was by far the best days racing I have ever seen , the whole days racing was amazing with the only downside being the pissed up ex pats who weren't even interested in what was happening just a few yards away on the track.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2023 at 10:18, frenchred said:

And yet Cheltenham are still trying to flog it as a high class day of racing

Now I understand with the calibre of horses and prize money available they can lay claims to this but to your average joe punter (like me) it's crap!

If I hadn't already got tickets I wouldn't go but as I got tickets for me and the Mrs and a meal booked I'll be there

And I gave away my season ticket for that!

Cheltnam festival ,Royal Ascot and Aintree Grand national week all to be avoided nowadays in my humble opinion .

2 minutes ago, Jim Davey said:

Cheltnam festival ,Royal Ascot and Aintree Grand national week all to be avoided nowadays in my humble opinion .

I go Tuesday of the festival, Tuesday and Wednesday of Royal Ascot and both are fine. I’ve also added on the DRF which is a brilliant 2 days to my calendar.

8 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I go Tuesday of the festival, Tuesday and Wednesday of Royal Ascot and both are fine. I’ve also added on the DRF which is a brilliant 2 days to my calendar.

To be honest i havent been to any of them for quite some time ,so things could be different now ,call me old fashioned but I just prefer watching racing without someone dropping a pint  of piss on my head.

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

@Jim Davey @Rob k I find that if you avoid the "showpiece Day" it's usually ok, I've also added the DRF to my calender this year and will also try the Easter festival in fairyhouse, both new experiences for me

Dublin Racing Festival

Of course brain not working properly at the moment ,if you like your food and drink the hospitality is worth doing .

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jim Davey said:

Back in  the 70's early 80's British racing was in a real bad way with lots of racecources on the verge of going under ,even Aintree and the world famous Grand National were under threat . Many of the smaller tracks were just relics of a bygone age not much different to the football stadium's at the time ,but during the mid to late 80,s thanks to an influx of owners from the middle east things began to change .At the time we in the racing community were quite wary of the new money coming into racing with horses that we struggled to understand their names . Its my firm opinion that this influx of foreign owners helped save racing  as we know it and with more money coming into the coffers it allowed racecourses to modernise and attract new customers ,but one of the drawbacks with this is that it has attracted a high percentage of bellends . The problem that faces British and European racing now is the rise of racing in The middle east who are now building the best racetracks by far and running race meetings with a purse that most other country's can only dream about. i was lucky enough to attend the world cup last year in Dubai and it was by far the best days racing I have ever seen , the whole days racing was amazing with the only downside being the pissed up ex pats who weren't even interested in what was happening just a few yards away on the track.

Very accurate summation. None of the 10 biggest races by prize-money are in the UK or Ireland. Dubai (and increasingly Saudi) are the coming venues and attract the best-rated thoroughbreds from across the globe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Davey said:

Great post

I attended the Dubai world cup trial day that takes place a couple of months before the main event, we actually stayed in the meydan hotel.

What an absolute first class top notch experience it was, as it was the trial day it was obviously a lot cheaper, we went in corporate with all you could eat food and drink and I have to say that if all the corporate events I have attended this was head and shoulders above anything else

The hotel was also top drawer with an infinity swimming pool overlooking the racecourse!

We could learn a lot in this country but I think slowly we may be getting better

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frenchred said:

@Jim Davey @Rob k I find that if you avoid the "showpiece Day" it's usually ok, I've also added the DRF to my calender this year and will also try the Easter festival in fairyhouse, both new experiences for me

Dublin Racing Festival

The racing festivals in Ireland are great, Galway in August is crazy and on a lower level Listowel in September, both are always a good craic, plenty of other good festivals in Ireland as well over the year 

17 hours ago, TV Tom said:

The racing festivals in Ireland are great, Galway in August is crazy and on a lower level Listowel in September, both are always a good craic, plenty of other good festivals in Ireland as well over the year 

laytown is also a bit of a different racing experience.