IGNORED

Please sit today and be respectful of those who cannot stand

The above. We all love standing I get that, but because the club could not allocate where fans sit it would be really great if everyone sat in their seat and are considerate to kids and those who cannot stand for long periods. If we want to be a PL club let’s act like one. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

It is a real bugbear of mine that - with very few exceptions - you can’t choose a seat at away games.

I have a fluctuating impairment - most games I can stand comfortably if everyone else is standing but not always. I try my best to be respectful and mindful to whoever is behind me but, if everyone else stands in front of you, you end up with no choice but to stand.

I really wish all away games had the option of selecting your seat and think one of the best arguments for bringing back safe standing areas at games is that it would give people not able to stand confidence that they will be able to see the match.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I thought there was some safe standing in the upper tier? We chose lower tier as apparently upper tier is well away from the action.

I ‘m sure from seeing West Ham games on TV all the away fans stand anyway? 

Whilst I much prefer to stand at away games I’m the same as @LondonBristolian and try to be respectful of those behind me.  It will really depend on how the West Ham stewards apply the rules

• Like 1

Hopefully people will abide by the unwritten rule of people needing to sit going near the front leaving 99% stood.

Actually, it’s very unusual for a Prem team (with a few exceptions, usually smaller newly promoted clubs) to have anyone sat in an away following. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Hopefully people will abide by the unwritten rule of people wanting to sit going near the front and people wanting to stand going towards the back.

Actually, it’s very unusual for a Prem team (with a few exceptions, usually smaller newly promoted clubs) to have anyone sat in an away following. 

how is that going to work with a complete sellout? I can understand it when there are seats free…

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

how is that going to work with a complete sellout? I can understand it when there are seats free…

Prem clubs make it work somehow, think it’s just accepted that a ticket represents your access to the away end - not necessarily a designated seat.

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Prem clubs make it work somehow, think it’s just accepted that a ticket represents your access to the away end - not necessarily a designated seat.

not always the case, at Fulham we had to sit in our designated seat. 

Are there different seating rules for FA Cup?

24 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The problem is you then end up in a situation where some people are sitting anywhere and then others get asked to move because they are in someone’s seat but can’t get to their own seat because someone else is in it. 

If everyone agreed that you could go anywhere OR everyone agreed that you had to go to your designated seat then either of those would work fine. Instead you get this weird mess where both those who don’t sit in their assigned seat and those who insist on sitting in their assigned seat make everyone else’s experience frustrating and confusing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

The above. We all love standing I get that, but because the club could not allocate where fans sit it would be really great if everyone sat in their seat and are considerate to kids and those who cannot stand for long periods. If we want to be a PL club let’s act like one. 

Who do you think you are the king lolz 😂

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Hopefully people will abide by the unwritten rule of people needing to sit going near the front leaving 99% stood.

That doesn’t work today. It’s a sold out away end with separate entrances for the upper and lower tiers. Upper tier is safe standing. People need to go to their allocated seat, it’s the only fair thing to do today.

5 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

The upper tier is safe standing. So that isn’t going to work.

Edited by ChippenhamRed

It’s just boorish, selfish behaviour to be standing and blocking the seats of those who want to, or need to sit.  There are many elderly fans who are not technically disabled, but have physical problems with knees, hips etc  who are not able to stand up for the duration of a match. It’s just inconsiderate to ignore these very real issues - and it’s the reason why many older fans have given up going to away matches, even though they’d still love a day out supporting their team. 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, everreddy said:

It’s just boorish, selfish behaviour to be standing and blocking the seats of those who want to, or need to sit.  There are many elderly fans who are not technically disabled, but have physical problems with knees, hips etc  who are not able to stand up for the duration of a match. It’s just inconsiderate to ignore these very real issues - and it’s the reason why many older fans have given up going to away matches, even though they’d still love a day out supporting their team. 

Totally agree. I would love to have gone today but after the selfish & moronic behaviour of some at Southampton & Birmingham decided against it. 

• Like 1

i agree its a real issue for some of us.

i think the clubs can’t officially condone standing except in designated areas so can’t offer areas for sitting only and the only answer is to allow supporters to choose seats but even when you get a seat close to the front (like QPR last year) you still get selfish idiots who think they’re ‘real’ supporters by standing up in front of you - and they’re not all kids

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good to see it looks like almost everyone stood

We need to sort out this mindset that everyone is “entitled” to stand up all through a match. Seats are there for a purpose - to sit on! A significant number of fans - children, disabled, elderly -  are ignored, bullied or abused if they ask offenders to sit down, in order to allow them to get a view of the match. Many fans are so intimidated by this, they’ve given up going to away matches. 

• Like 5