IGNORED

RIP Der Kaizer

Super

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Great player, his name still used to define a classy style defender, “hes like Beckenbauer”

Exactly this, a lovely and decent man as well, him and Bobby Charlton gone within a few months of each other seems apt

• Like 1

Growing up before I got the them/us thing and I just started to learn about football, I loved that (West) German side was brilliant. and at the top Franz Beckenbauer. Absolute Rolls Royce of a player (should that be Mercedes ?) , could do everything and with style. World Cup Winner as player and Manager , simply one of the all time best. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Having a kick about with Bobby and Pele now.

RIP Legend

What a triumvirate! Where the word Legend is used correctly. Beckenbauer encompassed everything in football, a class player, a brave player (playing in a sling in the 1970 WC semifinal, a true captain both on and off the field and a superb football administrator. Not many of his like. RIP Franz. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Whilst I saw him play (in his usual elegant manner) several times on TV, I never saw him play in the flesh, as it were.

I did once meet him, however, back in 1980 or 1981, when a Bayern Munich team including the two Rumenigge brothers were competing in an indoor 5 a side competition in Munich during the German winter break.

Dressed very casually but smartly, he was a spectator very much at ease meandering through the crowd and stopping frequently for autographs and photographs and happy to stop for a brief chat with his adoring fans, always with a smile on his face.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gazred said:

Having a kick about with Bobby and Pele now.

RIP Legend

Plus Bobby Moore, taken far too soon.

All fantastic players in the same era.

World class, all of 'em.

RIP Der Kaiser.

17 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Rip to a legend, fantastic player, the german equivalent of charlton for england,, their all time greatest player.

Memories play funny tricks, of course, but I also remember fondly such German greats as Uwe Seeler and, our destroyer in 1970, Gerd Müller, der Bomber.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Memories play funny tricks, of course, but I also remember fondly such German greats as Uwe Seeler and, our destroyer in 1970, Gerd Müller, der Bomber.

Muller was ridiculous, incredible goal scorer,, reminds me of greaves as an out and out goal scorer?!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Great player, his name still used to define a classy style defender, “hes like Beckenbauer”

Playing it out from the back defender like a lot of teams prefer to play nowadays. An era and style defining player. RIP

The fact that he was the catalyst to turn Bayern into the juggernaut of German football (followed quickly by the phenomenon that was Gerd Muller) and that this led to an unprecedented 5 years of success at club and international level from 1972-76 is amazing - captain of the Bundesliga champions 1972-74; captain of the European Cup winners 1974-76; captain of the winners of the 1972 European Championships, captain of the losers in 1976 to Panenka and the Czechs in a penalty shootout in 1976; and captain of the World Cup winners in 1974. Very doubtful if anyone else (other than the other Bayern and German internationals at the time) will ever achieve anything close to that. Truly Der Kaiser was imperious in his pomp!