IGNORED

Sven

mattjb

.....Which is why it’s so easy to believe the story in Dietmar Hamann’s book, ‘The Didi Man’, about what Sven said to him while on a post-season tour with Manchester City. Take it away, Didi:

‘One morning I was on a sun lounger by the pool when I saw Sven walking towards me carrying a silver tray with a bottle of champagne and two glasses on it. It was still only ten o’clock in the morning…Sven came over and put the champagne on the table next to me, then placed one glass in front of me and the other by his lounger. I looked up and said, ‘Boss, what are we celebrating?’…He turned to me and smiled that gentle smile of his and took on the air of a Buddhist philosopher as he said, ‘Life, Kaiser.’ Then after pausing for dramatic effect, ‘We are celebrating…life.’

Hamann continued: ‘With a glass of champagne in hand, he stood and looked out towards the horizon. He took a deep breath, then he spoke in that higgledy-piggeldy Swedish accent. ‘You know Kaiser, I like this place. I think I will manager for another five years and come back here and live with two women. Yes. I think I need two beautiful women.’

https://www.football365.com/news/quote-unquote-sven-is-celebrating-life-kaiser

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, mattjb said:

Cheers matey, I’m too computer illiterate to post links !

Right-click on the URL select copy, and then go to OTIB, if you are replying to  somebody's comment select quote and in the box below position your marker tap the pad then right-click and then select the paste option, the same thing if you are posting a comment yourself, good luck

Edited by pillred
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, pillred said:

Right-click on the URL select copy, and then go to OTIB, if you are replying to  somebody's comment select quote and in the box below position your marker tap the pad then right-click and then select the paste option, the same thing if you are posting a comment yourself, good luck

Cheers mucker, I’ll give it a go next time 👍

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mattjb said:

Cheers mucker, I’ll give it a go next time 👍

I used to be like you but someone else on here explained it to me, at first I thought what?? but persevered once I got the hang of it there was no stopping me :laugh:.

• Like 2

Think it was Keegan we beat men in the Euros under but that was two very poor certainly by historical standards, sides..Portugal especially and Romania more or less deservedly the top 2 in the group that year.

Sad symmetry to Keegan's international career too given he resigned after a loss to Germany in the last international at old Wembley in a World Cup Qualifier in Autumn 2000.

I quite liked Sven. We may well have underachieved in the end, but those early years were not bad. Sad news.

All the best Sven!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mattjb said:

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere-

Just been reading on BBC news online that poor old Sven is terminally ill with cancer with a best case scenario of a year left to live. Must be terrible for him and family. 

Awful news for anyone and just goes to show he was very active right up to the diagnosis.

Putting such a terrible thing aside for a second and taking a purely and dispassionate football view he probably exceeded his own expectations as a coach and maybe his biggest regret would be allowing all the wag/showbiz shit around the "golden" England national team.

Im not being thoughtless and have mates losing their battles right now. Sven is mentioned on this football forum so I thought it right to comment on that.

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think it was Keegan we beat men in the Euros under but that was two very poor certainly by historical standards, sides..Portugal especially and Romania more or less deservedly the top 2 in the group that year.

Sad symmetry to Keegan's international career too given he resigned after a loss to Germany in the last international at old Wembley in a World Cup Qualifier in Autumn 2000.

I quite liked Sven. We may well have underachieved in the end, but those early years were not bad. Sad news.

All the best Sven!

You are correct, it was Keegan, thanks Mr P.

Sad news. He was a likeable manager  

My memory of the England era under Sven was a lot of early promise, typified by that win in Germany, followed by underachievement with a talented squad. Maybe the players were complacent or maybe they weren’t as good as they thought. 

• Admin

Former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson will join a Liverpool Legends management team for a charity game at Anfield against Ajax Legends in March.

Eriksson, 75, revealed in January that he has "best case a year" to live after being diagnosed with cancer.

The Swede also said he was a Reds fan and had "always wished to be the manager of Liverpool".

Liverpool said Eriksson "will join a dugout of LFC greats, including Ian Rush, John Barnes and John Aldridge".

Announcing that Eriksson will form part of the management team for the game on 23 March, the club added: "All connected with the club and LFC Foundation look forward to warmly welcoming LFC fan Sven and his family to Anfield - and seeing him in the dugout on the day - for a fantastic fundraising occasion."

Liverpool supporters had called on the club to allow Eriksson to manage a Liverpool Legends team following his announcement about his health.

"I heard for the first time about his admiration or love for Liverpool and that he was a fan for his whole life," said Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp last month.

"I heard now about the Legends [game] and stuff like that. I'm not in charge of that.

"The only thing I can say is absolutely he's very welcome to come here and he can sit in my seat in my office and do my job for a day if he wants. That's no problem.

"Being on the sideline might be a little bit more difficult. To have him here and show him everything and how this wonderful club developed over the years, I think that's definitely something we will tell him.

"He can come over and have a few wonderful hours here, I'm sure."

Sweden's Eriksson was the first foreign coach to manage England and led the side to the quarter-finals of the 2002 and 2006 World Cups as well as Euro 2004.

He won the Uefa Cup with Gothenburg, and the Cup Winners' Cup with Lazio, who he also led to the Serie A title during a long and successful management career, which included spells at Manchester City and Leicester City.

TAKEN FROM: Sven-Goran Eriksson to join Liverpool Legends management team for charity game against Ajax - BBC Sport

• Like 8

I have lots of sympathy for people , like Sven, who are in a position where there is no cure or hope of one. 
The other, more philosophical view, is that few of us know when our time is up and if we did what would we do differently ? More hours at the office perhaps ? Spend more time at the football ?

With the dubious advantage of being given a  time frame at least he can get his life in order, do the things he hasn’t yet done . Say what needs to be said to those around him.

Sven has , AFAIK, had a rich life and no one is immortal, except perhaps Cliff Richard, so I won’t shed too many tears for the man. I wish him a peaceful end of life . 

• Like 2