IGNORED

FBC Podcast - PNE [A] the verdict ..... we'll just have to grin & bear it

headhunter

DaveP, Mark & Ian try to take some positives from a performance that was in stark contrast to that which City produced at the London Stadium last weekend.

Once again missed chances early on proved to be City's undoing with under pressure Ryan Lowe pulling a rabbit out the hat and probably saved his job with a triple half time substitution which caught City out big time. Will Keane grabbed two goals, the first after a rare MOL error.

For the final 20 minutes one could only describe City's performance as ragged and they will have to do a lot better on Tuesday if that game isn't to end in disappointment against David Moyes depleted side.

We also talk transfers - the window is half complete, will there be a flurry of activity in the next two weeks? 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, headhunter said:

DaveP, Mark & Ian try to take some positives from a performance that was in stark contrast to that which City produced at the London Stadium last weekend.

Once again missed chances early on proved to be City's undoing with under pressure Ryan Lowe pulling a rabbit out the hat and probably saved his job with a triple half time substitution which caught City out big time. Will Keane grabbed two goals, the first after a rare MOL error.

For the final 20 minutes one could only describe City's performance as ragged and they will have to do a lot better on Tuesday if that game isn't to end in disappointment against David Moyes depleted side.

We also talk transfers - the window is half complete, will there be a flurry of activity in the next two weeks? 

Max o Leary, a rare mistake? You are having a laugh surely, your turning like the other podcast!

• Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Max o Leary, a rare mistake? You are having a laugh surely, your turning like the other podcast!

If you listen to the podcast, we are highly critical of the collective defending for both goals.

Edited by Curr Avon

Love the podcast but I am getting frustrated with Ian describing the players as Pearson signings and indicating that Manning having 2 windows will make a difference. Pearson may have had the final say, but we have a Technical Director and recruitment team identifying and signing players. These are probably the best he was offered and we have made so e good signings over the last 2 years - especially compared to the LJ/Ashton days. The fact is these are the best we have and Manning has to get the best out of them - its a cop out to say he needs 2 windows. 

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Love the podcast but I am getting frustrated with Ian describing the players as Pearson signings and indicating that Manning having 2 windows will make a difference. Pearson may have had the final say, but we have a Technical Director and recruitment team identifying and signing players. These are probably the best he was offered and we have made so e good signings over the last 2 years - especially compared to the LJ/Ashton days. The fact is these are the best we have and Manning has to get the best out of them - it’s a cop out to say he needs 2 windows. 

Can it be a cop out and also true?  I believe the decision time will come where he is either backed for 3 windows ( ie till the end of next season) and we see where we are or he is sacked in the summer if we finish bottom half.  What would you want?  I would always want to back a manager for a bit too long rather than not long enough.  

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Love the podcast but I am getting frustrated with Ian describing the players as Pearson signings and indicating that Manning having 2 windows will make a difference. Pearson may have had the final say, but we have a Technical Director and recruitment team identifying and signing players. These are probably the best he was offered and we have made so e good signings over the last 2 years - especially compared to the LJ/Ashton days. The fact is these are the best we have and Manning has to get the best out of them - its a cop out to say he needs 2 windows. 

Ian was so anti Nige, he’s doubling down on LM and giving him slack, that he never afforded Nige once he’d made his mind-up about him.  From early 21-22 season Ian’s mind was made-up.  FWIW I have no problem with people changing their minds, in Ian’s case he did it without context of the wider situation the club was in.

• Like 3
  • Flames 12

Ian tells people to calm down. 😂 

However today I thought everyone was guilty of revisionism based on short/medium term memory loss and in one case the usual pointless attacks 

We had what we had under Pearson for the greater part, if people remember.

To help Pearson took over with Limited money, looming points deduction, a huge wage bill, a load of players sitting around nothing and not much coming through. 

Our defense is built on the renaissance under Pearson of the club boo boy Vyner and the signing of Dickie plus Atkinson. 

The renaissance of Cam Pring who was a bit part sixty minute footballer under all previous managers is as startling.

The reason we are even competitive is a defense built on Pearson’s acumen with out of form players and a couple of cheap signings. Our defense is no better under Manning. 

We are now playing a possession based game that does not suit the players we have particularly quick running forwards.

We are incapable of keeping the ball in a possession based game and will often revert to passing back to hump it

Pearson developed Scott into a world beater and turned Semenyo into a goal scorer (remember the 50 page thread with the title Semenyo is not a striker they score goals) 

And yet we are about to hand Mr Manning a load of nest egg money to play in a way that is contrary to the way our HPC has been developing players for three years. 

Good luck to Mr Manning, his success is our success but ripping up our medium term Club strategy to employ LJ II is where we are! 

Edit. 

Tommy ConwAy had stalled because he doesn’t get the ball quickly enough. The time he did V WHU he scored. Bigger teams can see that. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 11
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

Pearson was being criticised after 1 transfer window by the same person on this podcast. Ian just didn't like Pearson and that's fine, but just be consistent at least.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Can it be a cop out and also true?  I believe the decision time will come where he is either backed for 3 windows ( ie till the end of next season) and we see where we are or he is sacked in the summer if we finish bottom half.  What would you want?  I would always want to back a manager for a bit too long rather than not long enough.  

I agree we have to back Manning cos he’s not going anywhere for the foreseeable. However if we were to finish say 10 points clear of relegation but around 17th (not totally unrealistic) he will be under pressure from the get go next season. It would take a fail of epic proportions to fall through the trap door this season but I think the expectation was to “improve” this season wasn’t it? As I have said on another post the next five matches are huge………and also tough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I agree we have to back Manning cos he’s not going anywhere for the foreseeable. However if we were to finish say 10 points clear of relegation but around 17th (not totally unrealistic) he will be under pressure from the get go next season. It would take a fail of epic proportions to fall through the trap door this season but I think the expectation was to “improve” this season wasn’t it? As I have said on another post the next five matches are huge………and also tough.

Almost zero chance of going down this season. We nearly have enough points already.  I think he’s under pressure to succeed anyway, with how he was bought in.  If we finish 9th this season and start next season badly then he will be under a lot of pressure.  There are still a lot of fans who are annoyed at results under Manning who would be less annoyed if it was under Pearson.  Every needs to move on and back the manager without looking for reasons to slag him off 

Gonna do an Ian now..

AND MAY I ADD - Nigel's early performances were based on how poor we were for the last 3 months of Holden's reign and were not 'his' players. We improved immeasurably from the day NP took over until October 2023.

Yes there were some poor performances which every Manager has had at City during their time, but they became much more infrequent as his reign went on. 

Everyone in 2021-22 knew there was a massive job in stabilising the club, balancing the books with FFP and making profit on our own players (which we did with Scott and Semenyo) and NP improved what we had (Vyner, Pring, Conway, Bell, O'Leary).

So Ian take your pathetic agenda against Nigel Pearson and shove it Mr Superfan

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

If you watch the games you will know it is a rare mistake. Not made many this season.  Find me a keeper who doesn’t make the odd mistake 

I would be interested to see stats for Max on errors leading to a goal this season relative to the other championship keepers. I wonder if @Davefevs has this kind of info? 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, all too subjective I’m afraid.

Shame. There must be data on it out there, as I can find this for the prem from last season: https://www.footballcritic.com/premier-league/season-2022-2023/player-stats/goalkeepers/errors/error-lead-to-goal/2/65452

but can’t find anything for this season at our level.

Personally I think MOL makes more errors than people recall, and that we can/should upgrade on him - once finds are available.

5 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I would be interested to see stats for Max on errors leading to a goal this season relative to the other championship keepers. I wonder if @Davefevs has this kind of info? 

Max was covering Vyner's error for the first goal. Zak was out of position when Tanner inadvertently headed backwards, leaving a huge space for Keane to exploit. Max had to come off his line as Keane was a yard ahead of Dickie and free to shoot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Max was covering Vyner's error for the first goal. Zak was out of position when Tanner inadvertently headed backwards, leaving a huge space for Keane to exploit. Max had to come off his line as Keane was a yard ahead of Dickie and free to shoot.

Exactly (again). I don’t understand why it seems that OLeary is being blamed. Our backs were awful from a punt toward an inside forward if you will. 

4 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Shame. There must be data on it out there, as I can find this for the prem from last season: https://www.footballcritic.com/premier-league/season-2022-2023/player-stats/goalkeepers/errors/error-lead-to-goal/2/65452

but can’t find anything for this season at our level.

Personally I think MOL makes more errors than people recall, and that we can/should upgrade on him - once finds are available.

Fourth best in the league for save percentage.  Mid table for dealing with crosses.  Above average for sweeping.  Can’t find anything for errors leading to goals.  I don’t blame Max for many goals we’ve conceded this season so am happy with him.  I coach keepers (kids but the principle is the same) so like to think it’s one thing I can judge quite well.  Never really liked Bentley.  I do like Max and think he’s good enough at this level.  

Max doesn’t have many fundamental flaws.  Bentley had more flaws in my opinion. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Mark - I normally agree with most of your views on FBC pod. But I cannot agree with this. 

If Max is to come off his line he needs to do it in a much more measured way for me. Yes, Keane has space to run into but Max doesn’t necessarily need to charge out like that. He can advance towards Keane, but stay up and force Keane to either take the ball round him or attempt a shot from distance, possibly a lob. Dickie then should attempt to cover the line in behind Max. If Keane executes this and scores, then no complaints from me - that’s a well taken goal.

Alternatively, looking closely at Max’s starting position (which looks to be ahead of the penalty spot) you could argue that if he has made the call that he’s coming to clear it then he really should be getting there. He looks (to me) to hesitate at the moment where contact with Keane may occur. I do accept that there is a risk of conceding a free kick and possible red card but I honestly think if he had made the decision to come for it then he should be winning that ball. 

15 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

He was on the edge of the box or just outside when Keane shot

Absolutely no need to storm out there , he made Keanes job a whole whole lot simpler

Stay on or just outside your six yard box to reduce the free target and you make Keanes job a challenge

Im not out for knocking MOL but your take is nonsense , with due respect 

It was a very poor decision and piece of goalkeeping 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ian was so anti Nige, he’s doubling down on LM and giving him slack, that he never afforded Nige once he’d made his mind-up about him.  

My OH and I were little just saying this!!!

It’s blatantly obvious what Ian’s doing here😂

And may I add. Ian is only defending Tanner at all costs because he is so desperate for his 'I told you so' moment he craves!

Love the pod, it does spark debate and that's what it's all about. Dave and Mark are good contributors and perfect foil for Ian's pretty obnoxious attitude a lot of the time. I kind of listen because it challenges my own views.

• Like 1

I feel for Manning, he’s in a bit of a no win situation due to how he was appointed and how Nige was dismissed.

The other challenge Manning has is that all the work to get the wage bill down, get rid of the bad apples and change the club culture and develop saleable assets was completed by Nige.

Mannings job is much simpler, just deliver results on the pitch with a top 6 squad. For me has the Jan window and then the rest of the season to get a top 10 finish. 

• Like 1

I am very late to this but can anyone explain why the three gentlemen are parroting the same quite misguided views of Pearson as each other. Yes he had 2 and a half years but to say we did nothing in that time and no improvement is totally tone deaf to the circumstances.

What agenda do they have?

It's a shame because this pod is gaining in profile

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Cracks me up how aggressive Ian's voice always sounds but now we know what he looks like he just looks like a cute little furby that you could pop in your coat pocket and keep as a pet feeding him fruit shoots through a tiny pipette and giving him the odd unwanted mini cheddar.

Little bloke syndrome...