IGNORED

Midfield 2024 onwards

INCRED

So, with the permanent signing of Murphy,TGH and the loan of Twine added to previous signings of Sykes, Mehmeti & Knight, this looks a talented group of young players 

Does Manning start benching James & Williams more regularly and play the young guns and get some pace and enthusiasm into the team or not?

We needed a refresh in the team and with Weimann gone and James/Williams contracts up at the end of the season are we now seeing a new dawn with more pace, creativity and attacking flair?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, INCRED said:

So, with the permanent signing of Murphy,TGH and the loan of Twine added to previous signings of Sykes, Mehmeti & Knight, this looks a talented group of young players 

Does Manning start benching James & Williams more regularly and play the young guns and get some pace and enthusiasm into the team or not?

We needed a refresh in the team and with Weimann gone and James/Williams contracts up at the end of the season are we now seeing a new dawn with more pace, creativity and attacking flair?

I wouldn’t be benching Williams on current form - but I can see where you coming from 

Thinking only as far as Saturday, I'm guessing McCrorie won't have done enough to get a start and I'm not sure Sykes will be fit , but possibly something like this ?
I could see TGH doing a Brownhill type role if Sykes isn't fit.

Screenshot2024-01-15at21_54_51.png.3f11be409f85ce7941ba66dbd836dd35.png

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Thinking only as far as Saturday, I'm guessing McCrorie won't have done enough to get a start and I'm not sure Sykes will be fit , but possibly something like this ?
I could see TGH doing a Brownhill type role if Sykes isn't fit.

Screenshot2024-01-15at21_54_51.png.3f11be409f85ce7941ba66dbd836dd35.png

Assuming McCrorie came through PNE with no reaction to his 15 min cameo and he’s trained well this week then if Tanner starts tomorrow v WHU then I could see him starting Saturday 

Sykes if 100% fit will in my opinion start Saturday also

I think Bell will start against West Ham given the challenge he posed them last time - though would put Sykes ahead of him in general. Still not sold on Mehmeti and would put McCrorie instead of Tanner. I actually really like Tanner and think he’s been a victim of following instruction re: passing it back all the time. With people coming back I think we’re starting to see the genuine competition for places that’s been talked about for a while… unfortunately, I’m still not convinced about Manning’s philosophies and principles in the Champ.

9 hours ago, INCRED said:

Assuming McCrorie came through PNE with no reaction to his 15 min cameo and he’s trained well this week then if Tanner starts tomorrow v WHU then I could see him starting Saturday 

Sykes if 100% fit will in my opinion start Saturday also

McCrorie has been out for so long I would expect them to be cautious , if he gets another 30 minutes tonight maybe. But I didn't see anything that would want me to start him over Tanner just yet , I would expect him to be eased back.
Sykes again wont be rushed . If he doesn't get at least 30 minutes tonight and come through ok, I don't see him starting Vs Watford. 

Re-Tanner, I think he passed the ball forward, more than I've seen him all season last saturday. To me when he got the ball, he looked to go forward with it and when it wasn't on he played safe. Playing to safe when he's had the ball in the past has bugged me, albeit I rate him highly but maybe with McCrorie back he is now having to up his game. Never gives it the big one and is a good professional.

• Like 2

Don’t see us retaining Williams. Probably on a decent wage, historically injury prone and I’m sure we can find a better replacement. Also think James will leave beyond his current contract so we simply need to find a new defensive midfielder who is resistant to the press and can pass well. Iroegbunam May be a shout down the line or many like brannagan who is older. Midfield in the main is looking good though.

its our forward line that needs a shake up. Wells and cornick surely will move on at some point, Conway may be sold if he doesn’t re-sign and bell isn’t a no.9 and certainly not a 20+ goal a season striker. Think we see a lot of movement in the summer in our forward dept 

I have some concerns about the squad moving forward. Not so much who starts etc, but about influence around the group and the gradual erosion of the culture that NP built.

No argument from me that the squad needs improvement however…

We currently have a core group of really good senior pros who are likely to be moved on. Weimann has already gone, James and King are likely to not get contracts renewed and Williams will test the market given we will offer him reduced terms if at all.

These guys will leave a massive hole and do we have the leaders ready to step up?

Knight seems to be one who is prepared to drive standards. Do we have others? Vyner, Atkinson, Dickie, TGH, McCrorie?  I genuinely don’t know.

Even though results are a bit hit and miss, I do enjoy the fact that I feel these lads give us everything they have.

I guess I have to trust that LM will only sign players who exhibit the correct behaviours.

Edited by HappyClapper