IGNORED

Joe Williams

Bs4Red

BBC have Williams as the 14th best player in our side in there ratings, I guess they were watching a different match to me as I thought he was excellent for us tonight and ran the midfield,

Edited by winsaw
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Typified the fight and spirit in the team in a way that reminded me of Gerry Gow 50 odd years ago, snapping into tackles and riling the opposition .

However, what GG could get away with back then is not the same as today, so Williams was lucky to stay on the pitch.

P.S. Still has a bit to do to reach GG's level of all round performance though.

He could easily have collected a yellow for the challenge on Ings in the 1st half. Great to see the crunching tackles, but he needs to keep them clean. Thought Matty James played well too, calm and assured.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, winsaw said:

BBC have Williams as the 14th best player in our side in there ratings, I guess they were watching a different match to me as I thought he was excellent for us tonight and ran the midfield,

Those ratings are never worth anything as anyone can vote on them, just a bunch of salty West Ham fans throwing a tantrum because we didn't lie down for them

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

13 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

He could easily have collected a yellow for the challenge on Ings in the 1st half. Great to see the crunching tackles, but he needs to keep them clean. Thought Matty James played well too, calm and assured.

I mean, objectively it could well have been red. EFL more usually yellow unless ref has an excellent view, with VAR if it’s referred it’s going to be a red.

Williams to us now is what Bryan Robson was to Man U back in the day . An absolute leader on the pitch who loves a tackle and has a touch of the devil about him . Been a long time coming after all his injuries but is outstanding now ! 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 2

Tackles get the crowd going, he made a few tonight.

Was delighted when we signed him…such a shame his first two years were blighted / wasted.  Imho he played pretty well last season too, but had minutes managed.  That’s allowed him the opportunity to gradually build that robustness up.

His recent performances have been very good.  Certainly gonna make for some interesting discussions re contracts!

He must be really enjoying this spell, nice one Joe.

~~~~~

oh, yeah, and Matty James wasn’t far behind tonight either.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Lovely to see a bit of spite and gamesmanship from someone in our shirt for a change.

An absolute menace. Done them like a kipper for the sending off and he does not stop chirping either.

By the way, what a refreshing game without VAR. Added to it and loved the way the players went about it with freedom living on the edge.

How it should be.

None of our games have VAR. In fact, the only game we have ever played with VAR was the reverse fixture. 

• Hmmm 1

I was shocked when I saw the odds for him to make 2+ fouls tonight, a combination of him being the wonderful shithouse he is, Tommy scoring and city getting the win means I’m £400 richer tonight. Cheers Joe lad 😂 

But yeah like others have said, first name on the team sheet atm. Let’s pray he can stay fit because we’re finally seeing the player we knew was in there and the team is benefiting hugely. Nobody else in the squad can play the role he does, and he's doing it superbly this season. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, James54De said:

None of our games have VAR. In fact, the only game we have ever played with VAR was the reverse fixture. 

Think someone mentioned recently this is incorrect. Sheffield United away in the FA Cup had VAR a few years ago

1 minute ago, Lydered said:

Think someone mentioned recently this is incorrect. Sheffield United away in the FA Cup had VAR a few years ago

Yes, it was me. VAR saw Alfie Mawson sent off for handling on the goal line. United scored from the resulting penalty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Yes, it was me. VAR saw Alfie Mawson sent off for handling on the goal line. United scored from the resulting penalty.

Swings and roundabouts given tonight and possible incidents but wonder if VAR would've given us a penalty v Man City in the Cup last season, about 15 mins in.

Felt nailed on and yet.