IGNORED

Twine Saturday

Well it’s interesting now because the 343 worked well. Seemed to give us so many more passing options. But doesn’t utilise a 10 where I assumed he’d been signed to play.

Question is, did we change shape tonight because a) Knight was poorly, b) Manning thought it a good fit for this particular opposition or c) Manning sees it as a better option for us going forward. 

I think Twine starts Saturday. Tonight was wonderful but we’ve still scored two goals in our last 5. But the shape we use Saturday will be very interesting.

• Like 5

We were effectively in the 3-4-2-1 tonight, with Mehmeti (left) and TGH (right) in the "2" behind Conway. Think Manning likes this system and it makes some sense - probably the most effective way to get as many of our best players on the pitch as possible.

I'm almost certain that Twine would play in one of those 2 roles, most likely on the left. Therefore, Mehmeti would be the obvious player to be replaced by Twine. Might feel a little harsh though, given Mehmeti's good performance tonight.

Assume Knight will play on the right of that "2" if fully fit.

Edited by Supersonic Robin

7 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Well it’s interesting now because the 343 worked well. Seemed to give us so many more passing options. But doesn’t utilise a 10 where I assumed he’d been signed to play.

Question is, did we change shape tonight because a) Knight was poorly, b) Manning thought it a good fit for this particular opposition or c) Manning sees it as a better option for us going forward. 

I think Twine starts Saturday. Tonight was wonderful but we’ve still scored two goals in our last 5. But the shape we use Saturday will be very interesting.

A fully fit midfield gives different options. A fully fit squad in it's entirety is going to give LM some good problems. But the form from the two west Ham games needs to taken into the league week on and out. That's the crunch really. Could be an interesting season from now on

COYR

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

We were effectively in the 3-4-2-1 tonight, with Mehmeti (left) and TGH (right) in the "2" behind Conway.

I'm almost certain that Twine would play in one of those 2 roles, most likely on the left. Therefore, Mehmeti would be the obvious player to be replaced by Twine. Might feel a little harsh though, given Mehmeti's good performance tonight.

Makes sense 

1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

We were effectively in the 3-4-2-1 tonight, with Mehmeti (left) and TGH (right) in the "2" behind Conway.

Seems I’m in the minority. Countless times I feal he chose the wrong option. Got on the ball enough but just needs to give the easy pass instead of running into trouble.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Jose said:

Seems I’m in the minority. Countless times I feal he chose the wrong option. Got on the ball enough but just needs to give the easy pass instead of running into trouble.

Dribbled well, didn’t really give the ball away much, worked hard defensively.   There’s always going to be frustrating moments with him but thought he was very good tonight 

• Like 4

How close is Sykes? We've missed him.

I can see Knight dropping deeper and a 4-2-3-1 with Sykes right and Annis / Bell to the left of Twine. No idea who misses out but Williams and Knight for the 2 DMs if I was choosing with Williams and TGH to replace them.

6 minutes ago, Jose said:

I think you are spot on. 

Travelled with the ball very well before not seeing the correct ball or running into a crowded area. Appears to run with his head down and isn’t seeing the full picture. 

Defensively, his levels need to improve. No wonder Cam looked shagged. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jose said:

1 minute ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I think you are spot on. 

Travelled with the ball very well before not seeing the correct ball or running into a crowded area. Appears to run with his head down and isn’t seeing the full picture. 

You both are right. He made a few wrong decisions tonight. He does need to improve. However, it is why he is at Bristol City. We are a development club. I am glad he is playing with confidence at the minute. Keep the confidence and coach him up. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I've said for a while I think Manning will want to play a box midfield moving forwards, so my guess is Twine/Knight top of the box, 2 of TGH/Williams/James bottom of the box with Mehmeti coming on top of the box later when gaps open up. 

9 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I think you are spot on. 

Yep agree with this. There was one about 70 minutes in when the shot was on and he overplayed. More pertinently, he has a tendency to “hold” his run a lot - Cam went a few times and expected Anis to be ahead of him but he had to check back as Anis hadn’t seen the run that was needed and was static. It’s all part of a theme of reading the game.

He wasn’t bad tonight by any means (and the levels of others have to be considered) but he was the worst of the midfield group and I’d say considering he’s been fairly poor in the most recent batch of games, and we want Twine to focus on attacking so maybe can’t have both, he’s the obvious contender to drop out.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jose said:

It's difficult with a player like Mehmeti. I suppose he's not necessarily a player who's in the team to always make the "easy pass", as at some point you need to a bit more than that if you want to create chances.

That's something I really like about him - he's very happy to take on that responsibility. On multiple occassions tonight he received the ball in a tight space, beat a player, and drove us up the pitch.

Naturally, that means he's prone to losing the ball more than the average player, but it's a consequence of what he's trying to do for us.

I agree that his decision making could improve, but that will come with coaching and with experience. The technical ability is clearly there, so with the right coaching he'll be so difficult to play against at this level.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jose said:

Match fit. 

God knows who gets dropped for him.

Max, better distribution from the back 🤣🤣🤣

56 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Dribbled well, didn’t really give the ball away much, worked hard defensively.   There’s always going to be frustrating moments with him but thought he was very good tonight 

Thought it was one of his best games, if not his best game for City.

Agree on Annis, lost the ball a few times, but only when taking his man on and that's going to happen! we want him attacking his man it's the main strength he arrived with, and sometimes that's not going to come off (and remember he was playing against a prem side today).

What has impressed is that in the relatively short run of games he has been starting he has really developed his defensive discipline and now is covering really well and tracking. That's something he and LM should take credit for. 

• Like 2

Can see Twine playing in a free 10 role directly behind Tommy . Hickman and Williams are nailed on starters and Tanner was SO much better with MCcrorie giving him protection . If Knight is fit to start , can see him taking the CDM role which is probably his natural position and James and Mehmeti dropping to the bench . 

10 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

A fully fit midfield gives different options. A fully fit squad in it's entirety is going to give LM some good problems. But the form from the two west Ham games needs to taken into the league week on and out. That's the crunch really. Could be an interesting season from now on

COYR

Yes, and some real options to change things in game which we have struggled with.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Try looking up David Clarkson, then Lois Diony, then Ryan Kent (for City) and come back to us...

Clarkson was poor but had his moments.

I'm blessed never to have seen Diony or Kent.

Mehmeti is the most wasteful I've seen in my time - cuts inside onto his right foot and gets dispossessed/passes to an opponent - repeat ad infinitum.

No end product whatsoever.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Confused 1