IGNORED

TV Coverage - Camera Angle

BCFC_Josh

I have seen plenty of chat on social media again talking about the poor camera angle at AG. This is a topic that's been discussed for a long while now. I particularly remember it being talked about during the league cup run with the games against the Manchester clubs. Does anyone know why nothing has been done regarding this? 

Edited by BCFC_Josh

9 minutes ago, BCFC_Josh said:

I have seen plenty of chat on social media again talking about the poor camera angle at AG. This is a topic that's been discussed for a long while now. I particularly remember it being talked about during the league cup run with the games against the Manchester clubs. Does anyone know why nothing has been done regarding this? 

Someone will correct me, but I think it’s as simple as that’s the level they built the camera positions and media stuff at.

I am surprised that the club haven't looked to address this, the height of the television gantry makes it almost impossible to have anything than a 'top down' view.

Frustrating as it is for watching football, it's even more annoying when watching rugby.

Every time we feature on telly, there are complaints from neutrals and away fans not at the game regarding it, and you wonder if this has any material impact on viewing figures, which might make broadcasters reluctant to use Ashton Gate as often as they could. Which would of course be at a cost to the club as the 'home' appearance fee is quite considerable.

Dare say the bean counters have weighed up the options, SCAT have asked questions and it's just an accepted imperfection.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

I am surprised that the club haven't looked to address this, the height of the television gantry makes it almost impossible to have anything than a 'top down' view.

Frustrating as it is for watching football, it's even more annoying when watching rugby.

Every time we feature on telly, there are complaints from neutrals and away fans not at the game regarding it, and you wonder if this has any material impact on viewing figures, which might make broadcasters reluctant to use Ashton Gate as often as they could. Which would of course be at a cost to the club as the 'home' appearance fee is quite considerable.

Dare say the bean counters have weighed up the options, SCAT have asked questions and it's just an accepted imperfection.

Wonder if they ever consider dolman side cameras.... 

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

I actually like the camera position! Been watching the TV coverage of last night’s game this afternoon and it’s much better for assessing the positional set up - which is the same for rugby!

Although, I dislike like the frequent changes to pitch side etc. fine for any replays. As an example the change to pitch side missed the timing of Tommy’s run for the goal, which again happens in rugby coverage!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Wonder if they ever consider dolman side cameras.... 

They have done temporary television camera gantry points before (they were in the Dolman during the redevelopment, think Gary Johnson was there)  but that comes at the expense of available seats.

The best spots would be middle tier, Lansdown. But they are the most profitable seats in the ground, and for what at the moment is likely to be 3 or 4 occasions a year, more coin in leaving the hospitality and premium seating to sell.

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

They have done temporary television camera gantry points before (they were in the Dolman during the redevelopment, think Gary Johnson was there)  but that comes at the expense of available seats.

The best spots would be middle tier, Lansdown. But they are the most profitable seats in the ground, and for what at the moment is likely to be 3 or 4 occasions a year, more coin in leaving the hospitality and premium seating to sell.

You'd probably have to dig out a good few rows at the front of the upper tier where the media are as you'd need the first row of fans behind to be able to see over the people standing on the new gantry. Then you have the issue of the current gantry built into the stand unless you tried converting that to media area with desks running the whole way along

1 hour ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Was told by someone at the club that the camera angle is not acceptable if we get to the promised land, however it is serious ££ to alter so won’t be done unless we do the unthinkable… personally I don’t like it at all, but I don’t watch us on to too much 

Hopefully it stops us getting VAR 😊

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

they were in there last night 

838C69EB-209B-4A6A-8C52-32E59D4AAA92.jpeg

That’s very cramped. It needs a hole cut into the back of the stand and the camera platform built over the walkway behind 

12 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Or is it the same as not being willing consider moving away finds out if the Atyeo. You got a **** off big premier stadium. Now shut up , put up with it and keep spending your money 💰

I don’t like the angle. Certainly higher than optimal.

Would love them to have the main camera in the Dolman, which I think would be a better height, and mean you get the backdrop of the Lansdown, which would make the stadium look far superior on screen compared with the dated Dolman.

Glad this has come up.

Angle is good for positional assessment (basically a Football Manager view), awful for fan viewing.

Particularly for us exiles who miss the magic of live football at Ashton Gate, you couldn't feel more removed from the experience. Basically watching from the roof with half-rugby markings.

Edited by Red Zeppelin

I'm surprised that haven't got smaller cameras operated remotely these days, rather than have some hulking big bloke still stuck behind one.  

A camera in the Dolman is a good shout.  Usually teams have the camera on their poorer stand to show off the better one.  Maybe the limited access in the Dolman is a consideration.  

13 hours ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Was told by someone at the club that the camera angle is not acceptable if we get to the promised land, however it is serious ££ to alter so won’t be done unless we do the unthinkable… personally I don’t like it at all, but I don’t watch us on to too much 

I don't mind the angle personally but I suspect this is bang on the money. It's not as straightforward as just sticking a camera somewhere - it's building all the infrastructure and it's not going to be a quick or cheap thing and, without a bit of a redesign, would come at the expense of seating - which will probably be in a prime area. There's no rationale to spend the money until/unless we're on TV far more regularly than we currently are.