IGNORED

West Ham - Moyes - Us, a fans perspective

FNQ

If you’ve got 15 minutes to spare it’s well worth the watch.

A good and honest assessment by a true WHU supporter on how he sees things at the moment. Interesting perspective on Moyes’ perceived shortcomings despite Europe success and top 6 at the moment. Gives credit to us over the two legs and believes that after our two games Sheffield Utd will now know how to be West Ham on the weekend.

• Thanks 2

I wouldn't mind half the perceived problems he seems to think they have, that's the trouble with a lot of supporters of top-end Premier League clubs they don't know what it's like to support and I use this term lightly a proper club who don't expect to win every game, and that makes it all the sweeter when we do achieve some success. He does come across as less entitled than a lot of fans I could name of certain clubs, and yes Villa fans I do mean you.

Edited by pillred
  • Like 1

I like Moyes. Done wonders for West Ham. Should have been given more time at Man Utd. 

But what was wearing that Beanie hat all about? West Ham didn't want to be here and it showed. 

Wanted to be on a beach in Dubai but instead had to contend with freezing conditions at a hostile Ashton Gate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 2

7 hours ago, pillred said:

I wouldn't mind half the perceived problems he seems to think they have, that's the trouble with a lot of supporters of top-end Premier League clubs they don't know what it's like to support and I use this term lightly a proper club who don't expect to win every game, and that makes it all the sweeter when we do achieve some success. He does come across as less entitled than a lot of fans I could name of certain clubs, and yes Villa fans I do mean you.

To be fair to West Ham, they've had their peaks and troughs as well. They're hardly Liverpool or Arsenal

• Like 2

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I like Moyes. Done wonders for West Ham. Should have been given more time at Man Utd. 

But what was wearing that Beanie hat all about? West Ham didn't want to be here and it showed. 

Wanted to be on a beach in Dubai but instead had to contend with freezing conditions at a hostile Ashton Gate. 

Wearing appropriate clothing for the weather proves that the he and the whole team didn't want to be there? :laugh:

I was wearing half my wardrobe, but I can assure you I wanted to be there.

• Like 10
  • Facepalm 1

I think Moyes is a good manager and a good role model for other managers. Decent and honest I think, could easily have ranted about the ref, their missing players and some of our challenges like some might do, waving their arms and screaming into the face of the 4th official.

He has my respect but that isn't what their fans want, they want to be top dog in London.

• Like 4

Amazingly, football is a game! There is a way of winning and there is a way of losing. David Moyes could've moaned about the missing players, challenges, weather, referee, lack of VAR, but he didn't. He remained courteous and respectful. There are quite a number of Premier League managers who could learn a lot from him. 

• Like 13

Enjoyable listen and very measured, couldn't argue with much of that at all.
The West Ham stuff I totally get, if I was a fan I'd be questioning things too . They have something like the 3rd highest average attendance, they pay a pittance for the ground and won a Trophy last year. Why wouldn't you think they would build on things. May not be down to Moyes of course , and when I've watched them they play decent stuff but then I don't watch them every week.
The thing I've found funny , from the both games is how we apparently roughed them up. Now anyone who have watched us for a few years would have heard the moans that we are too soft , too weak and get bullied. Put aside the Williams challenges ( I will hold my hands up those were full bloodied ) and we have 2 headers by Pring in the first game , I could see nothing wrong with either and neither did the Ref. The Gardner Hickman Vs Cresswell scuffle could have been stopped before anything happened, right in front of the Lino who let it build. Even then I don't think it's a punch. He swings his arm as he spins round, Cresswell had his shirt and TGH had tried to get away , VAR might have seen it differently after 500 looks and super slo mo , but I think it was the right out come. I don't think we were over physical , I do think we didn't back out and I would actually like to see more of this in our League games. Maybe try and get Williams to stay on his feet a little more , but it's been too long seeing us get bullied by teams .
We will need some of that Saturday , I hope it's not another 'after the Lord Mayors show'.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I think Moyes is a good manager and a good role model for other managers. Decent and honest I think, could easily have ranted about the ref, their missing players and some of our challenges like some might do, waving their arms and screaming into the face of the 4th official.

He has my respect but that isn't what their fans want, they want to be top dog in London.

His post match interview was good, didn’t make excuses.  Said he had injuries, but balanced it with “we’ve had a full squad all season up to now”.

You have to love fickle football fans, even those from the PL!

Under Moyes, West Ham are now a consistent Top 10 team and he has just won them their first trophy in 43 years and their second European Trophy 58 years after their first, which by comparison was won with 3 players who subsequently won the World Cup the next year. But he’s underachieving!

The other thing Moyes has done is stopped West Ham’s tendency to splash ridiculous fees on overseas players who don’t suit the PL. Losing Rice was a blow, but predictable; buying Ward-Prowse was canny, and amazing that no other PL club seemed to be after him. Moyes has also helped to develop Bowen into a top notch striker who has got international recognition from Southgate.

So no West Ham may not be challenging for the PL title against clubs with even deeper pockets, but they are still in the Europa League, which given where they have been in the past 20 years has to be seen as significant progress.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Under Moyes, West Ham are now a consistent Top 10 team and he has just won them their first trophy in 43 years and their second European Trophy 58 years after their first, which by comparison was won with 3 players who subsequently won the World Cup the next year. But he’s underachieving!

The other thing Moyes has done is stopped West Ham’s tendency to splash ridiculous fees on overseas players who don’t suit the PL. Losing Rice was a blow, but predictable; buying Ward-Prowse was canny, and amazing that no other PL club seemed to be after him. Moyes has also helped to develop Bowen into a top notch striker who has got international recognition from Southgate.

So no West Ham may not be challenging for the PL title against clubs with even deeper pockets, but they are still in the Europa League, which given where they have been in the past 20 years has to be seen as significant progress.

Was listening to TS the other night and some West Ham fan was insistent Moyes had to go, they should be doing better, they’re underachieving, blah, blah, cry, cry.  With West Ham sitting 6th the caller was asked what position he thought they should be in based on their squad, and if they had a better manager (than Moyes).  He was pushed and pushed for an answer and eventually answered “5th” to sniggers from the TS presenters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was listening to TS the other night and some West Ham fan was insistent Moyes had to go, they should be doing better, they’re underachieving, blah, blah, cry, cry.  With West Ham sitting 6th the caller was asked what position he thought they should be in based on their squad, and if they had a better manager (than Moyes).  He was pushed and pushed for an answer and eventually answered “5th” to sniggers from the TS presenters.

I listened to that one on TS as well, the West Ham fan was certainly shooting nonsense from the hip.. But I thought this guy explained his thoughts on why he thought Moyes should go quite well. Basically suggesting that Moyes’ man management skills are poor and players not routinely in the staring 11 are kept too much on the outside and not made to feel part of the team, in his opinion DM is too much old school and not in tune with modern day requirements. He also suggested that West Ham until now we’re leading the premier charts for player’s availability (low injuries) and now with a few exclusions they will / have been found out big time.. his thoughts not mine, but I thought he come across well.

1 hour ago, FNQ said:

I listened to that one on TS as well, the West Ham fan was certainly shooting nonsense from the hip.. But I thought this guy explained his thoughts on why he thought Moyes should go quite well. Basically suggesting that Moyes’ man management skills are poor and players not routinely in the staring 11 are kept too much on the outside and not made to feel part of the team, in his opinion DM is too much old school and not in tune with modern day requirements. He also suggested that West Ham until now we’re leading the premier charts for player’s availability (low injuries) and now with a few exclusions they will / have been found out big time.. his thoughts not mine, but I thought he come across well.

But that poor that they won a euro trophy last season and are 6th in the prem?

1 hour ago, FNQ said:

But I thought this guy explained his thoughts on why he thought Moyes should go quite well. Basically suggesting that Moyes’ man management skills are poor and players not routinely in the staring 11 are kept too much on the outside and not made to feel part of the team, in his opinion DM is too much old school and not in tune with modern day requirements.

When Moyesie first started coaching he was sharing a flat with Joe Jordan, a man about as old school as it can get. Nuff said.

3 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

All about perspective?

And, in our own way, we’re just as bad!