IGNORED

does anyone keep evening post paper cutings

or even the Green Uns

involving Bristol City football events?

The ones I would like to get hold of, or even copies or the approx dates are

In the DAF final against Bolton a Bristol City fan in Australia paid someone in Bristol to have their two land line phones connected so an audio of the match could be heard down under

Glyn Riley when his wife accidentally taped over a tape which had all the goals he had scored on,

Jed pitman of HTV fame saw his(GR) plight and put together another tape of GR goals

Your a Gent,

that will save me a few hours looking for the Glyn Riley article.

Now I just need that telephone audio to Australia,the Bolton game was played on Saturday 24thMay 1986

So I presume it would have been in and around that time

May 1986 there was no proper Green Un

Green Uns were publish up to 1979 and then restarted again in 1997

So it would have been an article in the Evening Post/Western daily press

22 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Are old EP newspapers no longer available at the Central Library?

I’m thought they used to have copies from years ago that you could research and copy off, unless it was just national papers they had there?

The newspaper section used to be in the basement of the Central Library. That went years ago when the Cathedral School needed somewhere for its junior school.

Probably almost all of the old copies will have been digitised by now (assuming that they weren’t just binned) while God knows what you would keep from the click bait that is now Bristol Live. The internet has been the death of local journalism but the reality is that very few people now know what is going on in their local area whether it’s sport, politics or other things that affect their lives. And that’s a sad reflection of how some things have not improved in the past 20-30 years.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 5

Still can’t believe I missed the Final in 1986. Student at Leeds University- last finals exam on Friday 23rd- ticket and coach booked. 21st birthday Sunday 25th.

Then someone noticed that ‘the computer’ had scheduled the ‘Modern Jewish History’ final for 1030 on Saturday 24th.

There followed a protracted bru ha, as, not surprisingly, most students of Jewish history were actually Jewish, settled by the simple expedient of rescheduling, by swapping my Friday paper with the Saturday exam. 
It seemed unwise to protest and that was that. 
Did, of course, make the 87 final v Mansfield, which we naturally buggered up.

5 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Your a Gent,

that will save me a few hours looking for the Glyn Riley article.

Now I just need that telephone audio to Australia,the Bolton game was played on Saturday 24thMay 1986

So I presume it would have been in and around that time

May 1986 there was no proper Green Un

Green Uns were publish up to 1979 and then restarted again in 1997

So it would have been an article in the Evening Post/Western daily press

The game itself is on YouTube somewhere.

3 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

If you know somebody with the Genealogy website Findmypast on subscription, they have all Evening Posts filmed up to the 1990s. Would be easy to find this article with a search. 

That's what I used to fine Glyn Riley :)

The telephone article did not come up in search - did try a few different ways to locate it without success

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

or even the Green Uns

involving Bristol City football events?

The ones I would like to get hold of, or even copies or the approx dates are

In the DAF final against Bolton a Bristol City fan in Australia paid someone in Bristol to have their two land line phones connected so an audio of the match could be heard down under

Glyn Riley when his wife accidentally taped over a tape which had all the goals he had scored on,

Jed pitman of HTV fame saw his(GR) plight and put together another tape of GR goals

My mate has just come across a load of old programmes and newspaper clippings of City in a house he’s bought. I think he still has them as otherwise he will give them to someone who will clear the house.

Edited by Rob k