IGNORED

Nottingham Forest home 4th round FA Cup match thread

Jerseybean

1 minute ago, cotswoldred2 said:

What a stupid naive thing to say. We have just demonstrated what this team can do and you have to pour scorn on the owner...we are held back by this sort of bitter resentment and silly childish digs. Unhappy sod go support the other lot at least your moaning will have merit.

Oh dear you seem remarkably ill informed about City, and why take a dig at Rovers.  Clearly you are very young, under 50 is my guess.

• Confused 1

I genuinely don't think we're that far off from being able to challenge for the top 6.

Twine could make a difference and if we could add a Semenyo clone up front then it could all click.

With players like Atkinson, Naismith and Sykes to return, we're looking pretty strong.

14 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

So, as we’ve seen Manning favours a high possession, high pressing style of football that is similar to what teams like Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea use. He likes to play with three at the back, two wing-backs, two creative midfielders and a lone striker. This system allows us to dominate the ball, create chances and press the opposition high up the pitch. It also gives us defensive solidity and flexibility to switch formations if needed.

This style of play works well against Premier League teams because they also like to play out from the back and keep the ball. We can disrupt their rhythm, force them into mistakes and exploit the spaces they leave behind. However, this style of play is not as effective against Championship teams because they are more physical, direct and like to play a much deeper block against us.  We’ve struggled against teams like this in the league, so, are we better suited to play in the Premier League than the championship? 😉

In theory perhaps but when it’s played at the pace of tonight you will get torn apart in the Prem. Your three at the back becomes 5 at the back because the wing backs get penned in. The two in midfield get bypassed and you can’t get out your own half. We tried playing exactly like that when we went up and were getting mullered 4 and 5 nil. 

Edited by Forest Red
  • Like 7

Mehmeti had good 1st half, almost created something a few times. At HT they bought on Williams and he completely nullified Mehmeti 2nd half. Bell sensibly came on for the tiring McCrorie, but, as has become the norm for him, got into some really good positions then made the wrong decisions and chances were lost.

0-0 a fair result. As others have said need Sykes back.

29 minutes ago, Super said:

The problem isn't just a striker we have no real goal threat from the wings. Sykes is a huge miss for us.

A quality winger eg. Liam Millar of PNE, pace,dribbling and ability to deliver a cross would help out Conway no end. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Oh dear you seem remarkably ill informed about City, and why take a dig at Rovers.  Clearly you are very young, under 50 is my guess.

Under 50...I wish I was watching Atyeo as a young lad and watched England win the World Cup at 18....go figure Einstein. 

Nothing wrong with being critical at times but you just have no sense of here and now, let alone what it takes to fund a £20 million p.a loss. So who do you want as our new owners and chair? 

Plonker.

Only one team really looked like wanting to win that though Forest did have a couple of moments.

It was a good performance but we need a bit more quality up top/chance creation (same issue we’ve seen in the league last few games).

Whats really frustrating is we’re a Scott and Semenyo type player(s) away from a top 6 side IMO.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Street red said:

They will have players back for the replay and there definitely better at home so it will be a different game.

Think I’m right in saying, they have more players playing on the African Nations cup than any other Prem team. I imagine some of them will be back for the replay. 

Well, I'm happy enough with that performance. Glass half full here.

I didn't even realise we never managed a shot on target, I think because we created some decent chances.

And Liam Manning was realistic in his post match RB interview.

We're getting there slowly, but clearly need better options at the top end to link with the main striker (I've officially given up hope of seeing a two upfront). Be nice to see it this window, but I'd rather stick than bust a load over risky gamble of a signing.

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Agree. It was too predictable, no league points at stake so why not try it? Last season Wells and Conway were superb together. Neither are a lone striker, this needs sorting. 

Yes I don't know why but somehow Manning doesn't see it the way we fans do with regard to Wells & Conway playing together.

1 minute ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Well, I'm happy enough with that performance. Glass half full here.

I didn't even realise we never managed a shot on target, I think because we created some decent chances.

And Liam Manning was realistic in his post match RB interview.

We're getting there slowly, but clearly need better options at the top end to link with the main striker (I've officially given up hope of seeing a two upfront). Be nice to see it this window, but I'd rather stick than bust a load over risky gamble of a signing.

He won't change from one up top good luck with that manning because we won't be going anywhere fast.

1 hour ago, Edgy Red said:

I genuinely don't think we're that far off from being able to challenge for the top 6.

Twine could make a difference and if we could add a Semenyo clone up front then it could all click.

With players like Atkinson, Naismith and Sykes to return, we're looking pretty strong.

Would we then play a clone striker up front?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

Think we will create a lot more with Sykes in the position Knight is currently occupying.

Do you think that's where he fits back in? Sykes more of a wide player - Knight seemed quite narrow today although he did run on to a few through balls from McCrorie towards the corner.

We've changed shape since he got injured, Twine signed and McCrorie returned. Not sure how Manning will fit them all in if/when they're all fit (though with our injury record I doubt it'd be a problem for long!)