IGNORED

The next generation

Vespa Red

It's probably been said before, but my heart was melted by the number of kids at the game last night.  Walking back to the P+R bus listening to the next generation of fans out late on a Friday night, excited about that and the football, and the sweets and the noise, the food, watching grandad have a pint, feeling like a bigger person.  OK, this little mite did say to his Dad "0-0; that was rubbish Dad" 😄 but I guess chess isn't for everyone...yet.  Hats off to City by dropping the prices and making this happen when a Premier League Team is in town.

On a sour note, there was some idiocy by one of our coked up knuckle draggers coming out of the Dolman toilet cubicles that led to a young fella getting very upset: unnecessary and the Dad was tamping.  I guess it's a fine balancing act.  But, otherwise, a lot of the next generation will be waking up (late) this morning asking Dad/Mum/guardians of all hues if they can go to Nottingham (apart from the one little lad who got the Portway Park+RIDE...)

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

It's probably been said before, but my heart was melted by the number of kids at the game last night.  Walking back to the P+R bus listening to the next generation of fans out late on a Friday night, excited about that and the football, and the sweets and the noise, the food, watching grandad have a pint, feeling like a bigger person.  OK, this little mite did say to his Dad "0-0; that was rubbish Dad" 😄 but I guess chess isn't for everyone...yet.  Hats off to City by dropping the prices and making this happen when a Premier League Team is in town.

On a sour note, there was some idiocy by one of our coked up knuckle draggers coming out of the Dolman toilet cubicles that led to a young fella getting very upset: unnecessary and the Dad was tamping.  I guess it's a fine balancing act.  But, otherwise, a lot of the next generation will be waking up (late) this morning asking Dad/Mum/guardians of all hues if they can go to Nottingham (apart from the one little lad who got the Portway Park+RIDE...)

Having the new stadium / decent facilities ( although I do hear the argument it doesnt guarantee success which is correct ) it has the pulling power to attract the younger fan and floating fan and also newcomers to Bristol which should give us a solid fanbase moving forward ( top 6 and prem would speed this up dramatically mind ) I have a mate who is  gas watches the rugby and he hates to admit how good our ground and facilities are he said even around the ground pubs etc are so much better than around Horfield, he said there are now a few Rovers fans are starting to get pissed off with there lack of investment in the ground with just bodge jobs to try to improve their ground but actually making it look worse 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, redkev said:

Having the new stadium / decent facilities ( although I do hear the argument it doesnt guarantee success which is correct ) it has the pulling power to attract the younger fan and floating fan and also newcomers to Bristol which should give us a solid fanbase moving forward ( top 6 and prem would speed this up dramatically mind ) I have a mate who is  gas watches the rugby and he hates to admit how good our ground and facilities are he said even around the ground pubs etc are so much better than around Horfield, he said there are now a few Rovers fans are starting to get pissed off with there lack of investment in the ground with just bodge jobs to try to improve their ground but actually making it look worse 

Now, I can't confess to having the most Bristolian accent in the world (born in Devon, live more of my life outside Bristol than in - although I am moving to Portishead this year), but the number of  neutral accents at the ground last night seemed larger.  So attracting the new-comers is clearly working.  I even saw a guy who I thought was Joe Talbot and so the Hipster crowd is on-board too!

Ashton Gate is a great facility now - also clear from the comments I've heard from my neighbours who've been to Take That and Killers gigs who would never dream of going to football (or English rugby - I currently live in Wales).

On the discussion of new generation, one of my boys usually says at some point as we leave the Gate, "Why did you sign me up to a life of constant disappointment?" And they then rationalise it that it's better to be a big part of something than a small part of the Man City/Chelsea/Liverpool plastic experience.  We may be a disappointment, but they are OUR disappointment.

• Like 2

The amount of cars on the A38 heading south after the game last just proves how much support comes from outside the city . The potential catchment area is huge and yes the amount of young children going can only be a positive for the years ahead

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

The amount of cars on the A38 heading south after the game last just proves how much support comes from outside the city . The potential catchment area is huge and yes the amount of young children going can only be a positive for the years ahead

All those cars are going to Towns talk sticks ( grab a granny night ) 🙈😂

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Is that still a thing?  They must be great-grannies by now!

I wouldn’t know Dave honest 👀

2 hours ago, TDarwall said:

Towns Talk is gurt posh now mind.

They wear knickers now then and have their own teeth 🙈

• Haha 1