IGNORED

U21’s

Ronnie

To be fair it was a strong line up;

Idehen, Kadji, Taylor-Clarke, Thomas, Knight-Lebel all with league experience & Tommy Backwell who started was on the bench last night.

Yeboah was on the bench..

9 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Good result, think the U21 have struggled recently results wise but a few coming back from injury and back from loans means we look better again. Wonder if we’ll see Atkinson/Murphy for the game in mid week

Don't know about Murphy but I don't think it will be Atkinson. The medical team don't like returning players playing away from home initially. The first home game for the U21'S is Cardiff on the 13th, but they make other arrangements behind closed doors before then for Rob and Sykesy.

15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Don't know about Murphy but I don't think it will be Atkinson. The medical team don't like returning players playing away from home initially. The first home game for the U21'S is Cardiff on the 13th, but they make other arrangements behind closed doors before then for Rob and Sykesy.

Ah some reason assumed it was at home. Yeah possibly not then

• Admin
2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Won 4-1 at Peterborough today.

Needed to win by a few to qualify aswell 👍

Screenshot_20240127_220613_Flashscore.jpg

40 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Atkinson will be playing much sooner than the 13th 

Keep your eyes peeled 

Just now, phantom said:

Needed to win by a few to qualify aswell 👍

Screenshot_20240127_220613_Flashscore.jpg

Atkinson will be playing much sooner than the 13th 

Keep your eyes peeled 

I know he is officially a fit player from tomorrow on the schedule they give him. As I say, their usual process excludes away games, but it may be a case of changing the process in this case. 

Perhaps with Tottenham to play they’ll make an exception with the quality facilities/pitch etc they’ll have. With u21’s you just don’t want to send them long distance to play on some substandard pitch which may increase risk of injury again. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Perhaps with Tottenham to play they’ll make an exception with the quality facilities/pitch etc they’ll have. With u21’s you just don’t want to send them long distance to play on some substandard pitch which may increase risk of injury again. 

Think the Spurs game is at St Albans on Tuesday and the final group game with Sunderland is at Easington Colliery on Monday 5th.  No idea of the quality of the surfaces sorry but presumably Easington was decent below the surface!

54 minutes ago, Wilf said:

Think the Spurs game is at St Albans on Tuesday and the final group game with Sunderland is at Easington Colliery on Monday 5th.  No idea of the quality of the surfaces sorry but presumably Easington was decent below the surface!

Good drainage? :)

51 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I see the Unders lost 1-0 to Spurs, 88th minute winner. 

I don't know how accurate those sofascore type sites are, but one I saw suggested that Acey was right back and Idehen was centre midfield?

IMG_9695.thumb.jpeg.beb1fd090c83df1ee99d09bf2045ad66.jpeg

assumed Acey was RB, Wood and Idehen CBs, and Leeson LB

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Thought the idea was to mirror the 1st team formation ?

It’s aspirational bullshit!  Should be about way you play, not formation.

When I hear Tinnion say “we are now gonna play the same way all through the ages”, my first thought is - why are you starting now?

There should be an identity, not formation.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

It’s aspirational bullshit!  Should be about way you play, not formation.

When I hear Tinnion say “we are now gonna play the same way all through the ages”, my first thought is - why are you starting now?

There should be an identity, not formation.

It's not yet clear what the "way" actually is. Though perhaps we're telling 8 year olds they should play this mysterious "front foot football" and building from there.  Europa League in 15 years then! 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

What I struggle to understand is why certain players who have been in and around the first team as U18s don’t start for u21s as surely the natural progression.  

48 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

What I struggle to understand is why certain players who have been in and around the first team as U18s don’t start for u21s as surely the natural progression.  

There was a story that they were trying to keep the 18s together to have a good go at the FA Youth Cup.

On 28/01/2024 at 10:21, Wilf said:

I believe the Sunderland game is at Eppleton Colliery next Monday, looking to head over to see how the youngsters get on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

@DavefevsNo I get that but that’s a game every 4-6 weeks  yet 21s play every week.  James is a classic example of starting for Cardiff ages ago and then sub for 21s,  same for Nelson & Meerholz & Yeboah recently. They are still playing for 18s on a regular basis but seems we are holding back their development if what you say is accurate.  

Edited by Shuffle
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

@DavefevsNo I get that but that’s a game every 4-6 weeks  yet 21s play every week.  James is a classic example of starting for Cardiff ages ago and then sub for 21s,  same for Nelson & Meerholz & Yeboah recently. They are still playing for 18s on a regular basis but seems we are holding back their development if what you say is accurate.  

Another possible consequence of losing Nige ?

11 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I don’t disagree Shuffs, just given a possible reason…even if it isn’t steeped in logic!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There was a story that they were trying to keep the 18s together to have a good go at the FA Youth Cup.

Is that a complete change in mindset ?
Not that long ago, anyone that could would play a level up. I forget the 15/16 year old that was playing for the U21s

• Like 1

Just now, 1960maaan said:

Not that long ago, anyone that could would play a level up. I forget the 15/16 year old that was playing for the U21s

Still happening.

No change that I can make out.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Elijah Morison I think?

Had a few injuries & probably growing pains.

Harsh but almost certain that there will be a large number of departures from this age group in the summer, a fair few have stagnated, gone backwards or disappeared from playing.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Elijah Morison I think?

Had a few injuries & probably growing pains.

Harsh but almost certain that there will be a large number of departures from this age group in the summer, a fair few have stagnated, gone backwards or disappeared from playing.

I've lost a bit of interest as the coverage from the Club is so poor. 
I might try and get out the HPC at some stage , but they hardly even give you a few days heads up for a game lately.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I might try and get out the HPC at some stage , but they hardly even give you a few days heads up for a game lately.

FA youth cup next Wednesday evening against Burnley at the HPC.

Tickets are free on the City ticketing page.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The lack of news about the younger teams I find a little strange, perhaps they simply don’t have the staff or time to cover things.

Don’t know how much it costs to put stuff on YouTube, but given all the matches are filmed for analysis it would seem that putting them out for fans to watch FOC would be a sensible thing to do.

Previously I’ve heard that the club doesn’t want to alert other Academy’s to the quality of our youngsters, but that doesn’t really hold water as football is such a small world and scouts are able to attend games anyway.

I would guess that after about two or three weeks at the club every Academy in the country was aware how good Alex Scott was having heard it on the football grapevine.

7 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

They would still drop in for the youth cup, it’s the biggest thing for any academy, even more so then finishing top 2 and getting a play off spot in cat 2

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

They would still drop in for the youth cup, it’s the biggest thing for any academy, even more so then finishing top 2 and getting a play off spot in cat 2

Be good if we could beat Burnley next week and make the quarters.

Anyone know what the furthest is we’ve gone in the FA YC in the past.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Be good if we could beat Burnley next week and make the quarters.

Anyone know what the furthest is we’ve gone in the FA YC in the past.

At the risk of a whoosh, the Final in 1973, we lost 4-1 to Ipswich on aggregate.  We also lost to Spurs in the semis in the late 60s

• Thanks 1