IGNORED

Ralph Milne Article

Port Said Red

Looking at the U21 thread I saw the name Billy Milne in a team from 1973 who I vaguely remembered from those days. I seem to remember he was good but couldn't settle and went back to Scotland. I tried to look him up but there is a more famous much older player with the same name.

Anyway, I also came across this quite moving article about Ralph Milne, it's quite old so may have been posted on here before, but hopefully it's new to some. 

It's quite long too, but worth persevering to the end. 

https://www.nutmegmagazine.co.uk/issue-1/remembering-ralph/

The goal that is referenced is here.

https://youtu.be/b2TttALDVLc?si=INstNDc-pUxzIL39

• Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Looking at the U21 thread I saw the name Billy Milne in a team from 1973 who I vaguely remembered from those days. I seem to remember he was good but couldn't settle and went back to Scotland. I tried to look him up but there is a more famous much older player with the same name.

Anyway, I also came across this quite moving article about Ralph Milne, it's quite old so may have been posted on here before, but hopefully it's new to some. 

Great article.

Ferguson has this reputation for being great with his former players but he treated Ralph really shabbily.

He stopped him from getting a trial with a league club after Ralph sold a story to the media.

Ralph was an alcoholic not an evil person & deserved to be treated far better, he was by no means the worst player Ferguson signed, that was simply vindictive.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Great article.

Ferguson has this reputation for being great with his former players but he treated Ralph really shabbily.

He stopped him from getting a trial with a league club after Ralph sold a story to the media.

Ralph was an alcoholic not an evil person & deserved to be treated far better, he was by no means the worst player Ferguson signed, that was simply vindictive.

Yes, for those who bemoan our recruitment team, that list of failures that Fergie bought should be a bit of an eye opener.

I was in the East End, to the right of the goal by about 10 feet (our normal spot) and remember the cushioned volley Ralph Milne scored (pretty sure on debut) like it was yesterday. Could see straight down the line of it into the top corner. Was a hero to me as a boy from that moment on. Spent hours trying to replicate that.

Sad story, but he bought a lot of joy on the pitch.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but are you getting the name mixed up with Billy Menmuir? He came to City with Gerry Gow and the Ritchie brothers and was apparently better than all of them, but got homesick and went back to Scotland. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but are you getting the name mixed up with Billy Menmuir? He came to City with Gerry Gow and the Ritchie brothers and was apparently better than all of them, but got homesick and went back to Scotland. 

As opposed to Jock Manure, which is a description we could apply to just about every other Scot we've signed since (Mr Murray being the exception)

Edited by Scrumpty

15 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

I was in the East End, to the right of the goal by about 10 feet (our normal spot) and remember the cushioned volley Ralph Milne scored (pretty sure on debut) like it was yesterday. Could see straight down the line of it into the top corner. Was a hero to me as a boy from that moment on. Spent hours trying to replicate that.

That was a thing of beauty, but an impossible standard to maintain. 

• Robin 1

10 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Yes you are right. There was another one who stuck in my mind, he suffered from alopecia and was completely bald at 18. Was that Menmuir?

• Like 1

Contrary to the derision I’ve seen thrown in his direction over the years he was actually a cracking signing for us

Brought something entertaining , and some special moments to us (York City away anyone 🔥) and we received , what in those days was a really significant fee for us which must have helped in building the 89/90 side.

Weve had hundreds that haven’t made any impact and certainly who have we have wasted money on , let alone make a decent and significant profit 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I'd suggest the 'better than all of them' bit was a bit of an exaggeration, baring in mind he achieved next to nothing after returning home, whereas Tom & Gerry went on to achieve legendary status.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Contrary to the derision I’ve seen thrown in his direction over the years he was actually a cracking signing for us

Brought something entertaining , and some special moments to us (York City away anyone 🔥) and we received , what in those days was a really significant fee for us which must have helped in building the 89/90 side.

Weve had hundreds that haven’t made any impact and certainly who have we have wasted money on , let alone make a decent and significant profit 

Yet when the news emerged that Manchester United were signing him, the reaction was universal disbelief and laughter. We thought they’d signed the wrong chap. So clearly, despite his obvious flair, he didn’t do that well for us overall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Yet when the news emerged that Manchester United were signing him, the reaction was universal disbelief and laughter. We thought they’d signed the wrong chap. So clearly, despite his obvious flair, he didn’t do that well for us overall.

He had his moments (debut goal and York away), but in-between he was fuseless

28 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I think Menmuir and Gow were already at AG when the Ritchie brothers arrived.

It didn't work out for Menmuir, although i think he did play for the first team a couple of times. He went back to Scotland (Hearts I think), same as a couple of others at that time - Jimmy Brand (Morton I think) and another whose name I forget, both Scottish schoolboy internationals. City had a production line from Scotland in those days with Tom and Gerry (!) being the jewels in the crown. 

I think City were initially after Steve as he was seen as a rising star at full back having played for Scotland schoolboys, but Tom turned out to be a legend for City and Steve went back to Scotland. He played in the Scottish cup final for Aberdeen before coming back down here and playing for Torquay and Yeovil. 

Seems the production line is now the Channel Islands.

59 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Here you go, 21:40 on this. Thing of beauty, doesn’t show the crossfield 1-2 with Walshie before but does show the finish:

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Here you go, 21:40 on this. Thing of beauty, doesn’t show the crossfield 1-2 with Walshie before but does show the finish:

What stays with me watching that is the sound of the crowd anticipating a certain goal that does not materialise: "Yeaaa-hhh .... ohhh! " Sums up 87/88, sums up the 1980s, the last 40 years ..... proper ball boys back then mind, City ski hats, kicking the ball out of the back of the net, celebrating with the players 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

What stays with me watching that is the sound of the crowd anticipating a certain goal that does not materialise: "Yeaaa-hhh .... ohhh! " Sums up 87/88, sums up the 1980s, the last 40 years ..... proper ball boys back then mind, City ski hats, kicking the ball out of the back of the net, celebrating with the players 

Whilst all true, for balance the pitch is absolutely shit & there’s hardly anyone there.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thanks, dreamy. Great days.

Will spend most of the evening now trying to pick out me, my Dad, and my Grandad jumping about by freezing every frame!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Remember his goal at York away like it was yesterday, great celebrations in the away end 

• Like 3

On a  hopefully slightly  different  note,  we left Walsall on that bank holiday Monday replay and defeat something to do with the playoffs straight after the game ,  and walked straight into the porterhouse bar nightclub on Prince Street Bristol and Ralph was already sat at the bar  having played in that game , 😮😃👍

6 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I think Menmuir and Gow were already at AG when the Ritchie brothers arrived.

It didn't work out for Menmuir, although i think he did play for the first team a couple of times. He went back to Scotland (Hearts I think), same as a couple of others at that time - Jimmy Brand (Morton I think) and another whose name I forget, both Scottish schoolboy internationals. City had a production line from Scotland in those days with Tom and Gerry (!) being the jewels in the crown. 

I think City were initially after Steve as he was seen as a rising star at full back having played for Scotland schoolboys, but Tom turned out to be a legend for City and Steve went back to Scotland. He played in the Scottish cup final for Aberdeen before coming back down here and playing for Torquay and Yeovil. 

Seems the production line is now the Channel Islands.

No, pretty sure they all travelled down together. 

• Hmmm 1