IGNORED

Leeds United at home match thread

Embarrassing.  What were we doing?  Either press or drop into a block.  So easy for Leeds, they must have thought it was Christmas again.  Fair enough we were worried about their pace, but having the front 3 press with no one following behind is inept.  Proper horror show, haven’t seen us that outtplayed since Holden.  I get that the squad is thin and we played too many games, but we were still our own worst enemies tonight.  IPlay offs?  Not even close.  

46 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

Really surprised by some of the comments on various threads tonight.

We lost 1-0 to a team that are basically a premier League team and will be again next season.

If we play well against West Ham or Forest and then have an inferior performance, it's not because we have a bad team, it's because we don't have a strong squad.

Leeds can bring players off the bench that we couldn't buy for the first team.

Key injuries plus 7 games in 3 weeks, or whatever it is, means our lack of squad depth is exposed. The likes of Williams, James, even Pring, can't play at the required intensity in so many games.

For me, it was most evident in the back 3 tonight. All 3 making so many errors despite high praise recently. Bottom line, they have to play every game because we have no choice. But the result is inevitable. 

I have no criticism of Manning or the players. Our current squad lacks the quality in depth to have sufficient rotation and to play quick succession matches at the required tempo.

Great post. Been banging this drum about squad depth & lack of quality since start of season.  Vyner, Dickie,Pring, Tanner have played continuously and with exception of Pring it sure looked like they were running on empty tonight.  Dickie was very lucky to not get a second yellow but looked out on his feet.  Naismith as defensive option has been a disaster & no idea when Atkinson will be available but thank god the back four have in the main remained injury free as we would be in the shit as no squad cover until possibly another 2 weeks.  

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is an invalid argument for me. All the other teams have the same schedule. 

If any of the other teams have been running on 14 outfield players I’ll be amazed.

At least 3 (arguably at least 4) of our subs are realistically never coming on, no way do the likes of Preston or Millwall have a subs bench like that, let alone the larger clubs.

• Like 2

We were poor tonight, but we have been in the League at home since Hull in December.

The tempo is too slow in possession. Well Leeds tonight had that in abundance - Pace, quick passing, direct wingers. Strong midfield. Everything we haven't got right now.

I am unsure the slow passing football will work at this level. The successful sides right now have PACE and firepower, which again, we don't have. Not many sides are successful by playing a slower tempo at this level. 

It is within the club that worries me - not LM or when NP was here. The arrogance, the delusion. They want a certain way of playing but don't really know how to achieve it.

I think we have a lot of 'tidy' footballers, but without any player's who make much of difference where it matters which is putting the ball in the back of the net. To me we never looked like scoring tonight and that isn't the first time over the last month or so that i've thought that.

Lastly, the club wants players with the 'right' attitudes to come in. Fine, they can be nice lads for sure, but I would like to see ultra competitive players and players with desire in our team which Leeds also had in abundance tonight compared to our rather passive Footballers.

I just don't think we'll ever kick on with the current set up at the club.

• Like 3

Thought we started well, until the game changed after Tanner taking to long on the ball and robbed, we just seemed to lose belief and any bravery to move the ball quickly with Leeds fast press. 

Tommy playing left did not work and lost any of our out ball via Pring as could not combine.

Williams like many worse game for a while, perhaps to many games in quick sucession catching up with them.

Improved slightly after subs, but Leeds a class above on tonight showing, 

• Like 1

Dreadful performance!

Leeds are a decent team but we don't stand a chance with the continuing passing the ball back and sideways, throw ins toward our own goal.

It's not the players fault but how they are told to play.

We need about 12 points for safety and unlikely as it is, with a spell of 3 points from the last 18, we're going back to the LJ losing spells like 11 PTS from 66 available.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RedRock said:

……….…….…..…..

Erm .……..

Cam Pring has the patience of a saint. 

Tbf, Cam was way off his recent standard tonight. It might have been the effect of the knock he took early on, but he he was blowing from about 60 mins - evidenced by the fact that he failed to get anywhere near gnotto for their goal.

If Anis had scored when he really should of he would of secured a get out of jail free card, as it is another massively underwhelming performance. 

Leeds are a Premier league team. Its very difficult and getting harder to compete with the parachute teams.

They were very quick, confident, moved effortlessly and were very competitive. We simply don't have the players to compete. How the club can say we have a top six squad is beyond me.

I am not going to say that they gave us a football lesson because anyone could do that with the amount of money they've been given for effectively failure. If we had the same investment then its a different matter. Its onesided games like this that makes you wonder where football is ending up. It's that colossal financial disparity which is ruining the game.

We simply don't have enough depth in the squad to compete. You can't fault the player's efforts. Unlike some on here I won't be losing much sleep over this match.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1
1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I'll start by saying that Leeds were probably the best side I've seen this year, Played at pace moved the ball and players moved brilliantly. Then they could even go direct and they had players the width of the pitch, that could hold and move the ball and create space. Pace throughout the side , good technically and strong. 
I know we were poor, but that is the biggest chasing I've seen us get this year.

As for us, the complete opposite, wasteful , ponderous , continually giving away possession , poor touch allowing them to close , simple passes going astray in fact there are no redeeming features about tonight. The only player who I thought you could say played pretty well was Max, and even his kicking drags him back. 

With Leeds dominating so much, I'm amazed that Manning just sticks with his formation, Tommy did ok but feels wasted out wide, Knight does not look a good fit for whatever position that is and it just doesn't make enough chances for the strikers.

Sadly , I think we are stuck with this system for the time being. I hope he can start getting a consistent performance out of them soon as playing like that we will be looking over our shoulders all too soon.

Not sure we were ever likely to get much out of a side with one player costing £24m - and stacked with other extremely expensive talent.

They were simply faster, stronger, fitter and more skilled than us on a player-by-player basis.

Rob Dickie normally seems so robust, but he was just pushed aside like an under-16 by Rutter. 

If Leeds shooting accuracy matched the rest of their gameplay it would've been a cricket score. 

Max (distribution aside) did OK and I think Pringy looked reasonable. Vyner dropped a couple of bollocks but seemed to cope just about. We looked much better with TGH on than we did with Joe. 

BUT as has been said a zillion times, we're a midtable mediocre side. A 9th or 10th place finish would be an achievement. Anything higher I think is an overreach. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, SPAZZA said:

One thing I will say…

Where the hell do you sell coffee, walked in past the live band, inside and the length of the Dolman, nothing.

Had some Haze which I didn’t really want!

You can get hot drinks on SS concourse, service points S22/23 and S23/24.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I'll start by saying that Leeds were probably the best side I've seen this year, Played at pace moved the ball and players moved brilliantly. Then they could even go direct and they had players the width of the pitch, that could hold and move the ball and create space. Pace throughout the side , good technically and strong. 
I know we were poor, but that is the biggest chasing I've seen us get this year.

As for us, the complete opposite, wasteful , ponderous , continually giving away possession , poor touch allowing them to close , simple passes going astray in fact there are no redeeming features about tonight. The only player who I thought you could say played pretty well was Max, and even his kicking drags him back. 

With Leeds dominating so much, I'm amazed that Manning just sticks with his formation, Tommy did ok but feels wasted out wide, Knight does not look a good fit for whatever position that is and it just doesn't make enough chances for the strikers.

Sadly , I think we are stuck with this system for the time being. I hope he can start getting a consistent performance out of them soon as playing like that we will be looking over our shoulders all too soon.

Yes just look at the difference in the value of both squads and there’s your answer, about what happened tonight, right there. 

Leeds £264 million

Bristol City £33 million 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Edgy Red said:

If Nige was still in charge, the result tonight would have been exactly the same and anyone who thinks differently is living in a fantasy world.

Im not talking about the result, nobody can say one way or another what a hypothetical result would be, for certain. However, I am talking about performance and I stand by what I said last night... admittedly I am less angry now. 

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not sure we were ever likely to get much out of a side with one player costing £24m - and stacked with other extremely expensive talent.

7 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

Yes just look at the difference in the value of both squads and there’s your answer, about what happened tonight, right there. 
Leeds £264 million
Bristol City £33 million 

While I get that , what did the WHU squad cost, what did Forest pay for their squad, you can probably add Leicester & Southampton though they sold some of their best.
I'm not saying we should be rolling over Leeds, but up there we were in the game, against the teams I mentioned we were in the game and competing. 
Last night was the most "2nd best" I've seen us for a considerable time .

The cost of squad, or even the talent and work rate , even the very good pressing Leeds did, none of that excuses some of the misplaced passing and bad choices we made.

I worry , are we getting the best out of the system or to put it another way, is the system best for us?
I would say Knight doesn't look the player he did in that role and even playing more strikers is pointless if they rarely get the ball in good areas , let alone if we're making chances.

I worry that they are playing too much in their heads. When we have time on the ball, and see a runner,  see a pass , several times whoever it is will turn away wave an apology and pass it short. 
Bell had the ideal opportunity for a cross behind a retreating defence but cut back again. Watching Leeds move the ball at pace with runners through the team, that is nothing like what we are are watching . We are playing the slower Man City game, which is fine if you can keep and dominate the ball like that, but they still have movement to give options .

I worry that we seem to start well in games, create (and miss) a chance of half chance , then slowly start to settle .
The start of the 2nd half continues to be our most dangerous period. I think the goal last night was the 6th time we have conceded in the 45-60 minute mark under Manning . But we continue to look frail in that period, not sure what the half time team talk is , but it needs changing.

I worry if we continue with the same players in the same roles in the same system, the season will (at best) just peter out into a mid table none event. 

We are either relying on a young unproven kid, or a loan player who has had just 90 minutes for us , to turn the season around. Or , the coach produces something out of the hat. 
I said a while ago that February will be the time for judgement , not started well .

• Like 1
Just now, 1960maaan said:

While I get that , what did the WHU squad cost, what did Forest pay for their squad, you can probably add Leicester & Southampton though they sold some of their best.
I'm not saying we should be rolling over Leeds, but up there we were in the game, against the teams I mentioned we were in the game and competing. 
Last night was the most "2nd best" I've seen us for a considerable time .

The cost of squad, or even the talent and work rate , even the very good pressing Leeds did, none of that excuses some of the misplaced passing and bad choices we made.

I worry , are we getting the best out of the system or to put it another way, is the system best for us?
I would say Knight doesn't look the player he did in that role and even playing more strikers is pointless if they rarely get the ball in good areas , let alone if we're making chances.

I worry that they are playing too much in their heads. When we have time on the ball, and see a runner,  see a pass , several times whoever it is will turn away wave an apology and pass it short. 
Bell had the ideal opportunity for a cross behind a retreating defence but cut back again. Watching Leeds move the ball at pace with runners through the team, that is nothing like what we are are watching . We are playing the slower Man City game, which is fine if you can keep and dominate the ball like that, but they still have movement to give options .

I worry that we seem to start well in games, create (and miss) a chance of half chance , then slowly start to settle .
The start of the 2nd half continues to be our most dangerous period. I think the goal last night was the 6th time we have conceded in the 45-60 minute mark under Manning . But we continue to look frail in that period, not sure what the half time team talk is , but it needs changing.

I worry if we continue with the same players in the same roles in the same system, the season will (at best) just peter out into a mid table none event. 

We are either relying on a young unproven kid, or a loan player who has had just 90 minutes for us , to turn the season around. Or , the coach produces something out of the hat. 
I said a while ago that February will be the time for judgement , not started well .

It was a perfect storm: Leeds very sharp and on a winning run; City poorer than usual and looking tired. There were long sections of play where we barely touched the ball, especially in the first.

• Like 1
Just now, Red-Robbo said:

It was a perfect storm: Leeds very sharp and on a winning run; City poorer than usual and looking tired. There were long sections of play where we barely touched the ball, especially in the first.

Strangely , I wasn't so worried about that. You expect that playing a good team, which they are, I was more concerned about the poor parts of our play .
We looked nervy on the ball, constantly caught in possession , poorly played and poor choice of passes and we always seem to 2nd guess a pass when we have a little time.
Agree , bit of a perfect storm, we did well to come out of it 1-0. 

Or as they old joke goes, it was one nil,  and we were lucky to get nil !

• Like 2