IGNORED

Dire Mebude signed on loan - CONFIRMED

westonred

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

You can only judge that when we see the retained list tbf. For example Bird in probably sees James out. If we did revert to that nonsense policy then the hierarchy are more daft than I thought. I think it’s a case of wait and see before jumping to that conclusion. If Nige was still here he would have brought bodies in let’s not pretend otherwise.

And had Nige of brought a player in for a position were well stocked in I'd have questioned that too. 

Securing Bird now makes sense unless it's cost us a huge amount to do so. 

Mebude makes less sense. Although I do like the try before we buy aspect. 

• Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

And had Nige of brought a player in for a position were well stocked in I'd have questioned that too. 

Securing Bird now makes sense unless it's cost us a huge amount to do so. 

Mebude makes less sense. Although I do like the try before we buy aspect. 

Why do you say that out of interest?

37 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Doesn't he say in the video that the friendly "wasn't last Monday, but the Monday before"? Given that the video was filmed this week, he'd be on about a game on 22nd January then, a different one to what @Davefevs has mentioned.

Or am I due a whoosh now? 🤔

I can't see anything about 22nd, but according to what I did find they played two friendlies on the 12th.
Vs Rapid Bucharest and & FC Bocholt . Can't find teams or anything though.

1 hour ago, George Rs said:

Might be because Man City have a buy-back clause so they have first refusal so we may not have wanted to say anything about it publicly in case Man City decided to bring him back. 

But I couldn’t imagine Westerloo have put that on the website and it being wrong especially if it’s still up there now. 

With these things, you can’t just try to keep them quiet, if Man City have a “first refusal” option, then KVC Westerlo will have to inform them, should we wish to buy him.  If we have agreed an “option to buy” (no reason for KVC to make it up) the you’d assume Man City have already been made aware.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

You, as much as anyone should know that Nigel didn't actually sign the large majority of those players. They would have been ones the club had been watching for a while and who's names would have been put forward to Nigel as possible signings if he wanted them. No way did he personally scout them and insist on signing them.

In the same way the Manning was brought in as Head Coach so should have even less of a say over players brought in. Surely his remit is to coach the players presented to him and pick the team on a match day. In the same way that Swansea worked for years, the Head Coach is only there to maintain the style of play adopted by the club and improve players within that framework.

From yesterday’s presser, it appears than LM is more hands-on than Nige (in terms of watching clips, getting data reports, etc)…which is of no surprise to me.

Again, whether head-coach or manager, whether LM or Nige, they will get final say.  Neither will get players they don’t want.

My gut feel is that LM will help the filtering, whereas Nige would’ve been, “only present the ones you really think meet the brief”.  We will each have our view on which method we think is right, more efficient, but at the end of the day, it’s what’s right for whoever is in charge.

1 hour ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Doesn't he say in the video that the friendly "wasn't last Monday, but the Monday before"? Given that the video was filmed this week, he'd be on about a game on 22nd January then, a different one to what @Davefevs has mentioned.

Or am I due a whoosh now? 🤔

Yes, I wasn’t really implying that the game on the 12th was his last game, just it’s the last one that has made it to Wyscout.

16 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I can't see anything about 22nd, but according to what I did find they played two friendlies on the 12th.
Vs Rapid Bucharest and & FC Bocholt . Can't find teams or anything though.

IMG_9725.thumb.jpeg.c2de74d1b16d668fd782c394f843c540.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kidjupiter said:

Never saw much of Akinbiyi, but I gather he was a little more of a target man/centre forward than we've seen of Mebude so far - more about hold up play and physicality, while Mebude seems to be more a dribbler.

Only from viewing his YouTube videos, Dire puts me more in mind of Yannick Bolasie than Ade Akinbiyi - tall, well built, very fast. I guess we’ll see for ourselves soon enough. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheReds said:

How many do/have Chelsea discarded though.

How long was Kalas out on loans before actually being sold, he was their longest serving player wasn't he at one point with absolutely no chance of playing for them. A few years ago they had around 45 players out on loan. 

Man City getting rid of youngsters with the buy back is a completely different model to Chelsea keeping hold of a huge amount of theirs.

Just responding to the point made that this lad has 3 senior games under his belt versus zero for Tammy when signed.

Thats 3 games for a mid table Jupiler league team.

Hope he will smash the champ with us.

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Yea his ceiling is likely below Tammy's (incoming jokes about his living situation) but everyone has to start somewhere. Also - Chelsea moved on a young Salah and KDB. Club's get it wrong A LOT. Hyperbolic example but you get my point :D 

Yes mate two proper lemons they offloaded there 😁

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

You, as much as anyone should know that Nigel didn't actually sign the large majority of those players. They would have been ones the club had been watching for a while and who's names would have been put forward to Nigel as possible signings if he wanted them. No way did he personally scout them and insist on signing them.

In the same way the Manning was brought in as Head Coach so should have even less of a say over players brought in. Surely his remit is to coach the players presented to him and pick the team on a match day. In the same way that Swansea worked for years, the Head Coach is only there to maintain the style of play adopted by the club and improve players within that framework.

So LM has no say who get's signed?  I think you will find that his strategy is to bring in player's who will contribute and fit in to the style of tactics and formation that he intends to adopt, as can be clearly seen from the type of footballer who he is gradually recruiting?   To do otherwise,  would be similar     to a blind man throwing darts at a non-exsistent dartboard........ completely pointless? 😜

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

That wasn’t the point I was making. 
The point I was making was that, no matter who is the manager/head coach, a football club will always sign players and not rely solely on players from their academy that they have to ‘coach up’. 

20 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Probably the type of business we need to be doing. Has all the good upbringing. So you know the ability is there just needs the right environment. We can’t buy proven for the same money we’d sign this lad for. We have a try before buy and a coach that likes to develop. It is an ambitious move for us which makes me think we are moving in the right direction as a club.  

I agree. It’s a perfect, risk free, potential building block for next seasons assault on promotion. 

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

With these things, you can’t just try to keep them quiet, if Man City have a “first refusal” option, then KVC Westerlo will have to inform them, should we wish to buy him.  If we have agreed an “option to buy” (no reason for KVC to make it up) the you’d assume Man City have already been made aware.

From yesterday’s presser, it appears than LM is more hands-on than Nige (in terms of watching clips, getting data reports, etc)…which is of no surprise to me.

Again, whether head-coach or manager, whether LM or Nige, they will get final say.  Neither will get players they don’t want.

My gut feel is that LM will help the filtering, whereas Nige would’ve been, “only present the ones you really think meet the brief”.  We will each have our view on which method we think is right, more efficient, but at the end of the day, it’s what’s right for whoever is in charge.

Yes, I wasn’t really implying that the game on the 12th was his last game, just it’s the last one that has made it to Wyscout.

IMG_9725.thumb.jpeg.c2de74d1b16d668fd782c394f843c540.jpeg

Sorry Dave, wasn't suggesting you were. Just trying to point out somewhat clumsily to someone that his last game and the one that you mentioned were clearly different games in case anyone thought the firendly on the 12th was his last match. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

FWIW, both @GrahamC and I are intrigued by the back-story of work permit issues…can’t find any news on it, and he played games 2, 3 and 4 after arriving just before game 1.  The only thing I wonder if whether there was a retrospective issue with his paperwork that stopped him playing after those early games.

Weird one…Tinnion mentioned it Friday also.  That was what made me do some digging.

His brother had a car crash a few weeks ago, he also plays in Belgium.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW, both @GrahamC and I are intrigued by the back-story of work permit issues…can’t find any news on it, and he played games 2, 3 and 4 after arriving just before game 1.  The only thing I wonder if whether there was a retrospective issue with his paperwork that stopped him playing after those early games.

Weird one…Tinnion mentioned it Friday also.  That was what made me do some digging.

The work permit rules for non EU nationals in Belgium with regards to footballers seem pretty relaxed - the salary requirement is quite low and there doesn’t appear to be the whole must have played in x national games. I can’t see any reason why he wouldn’t have met the base professional athlete criteria.

I’d also think that something like that, with the player being their 5th most expensive ever would (a) have significant pressure to rush through and (b) a lot of media attention

It seems “off”

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just spent far too long trawling Twitter, the Club site and things like the Secret Scout and others. Not a single mention of Work Permits , seems strange. Specially as he had played in 3 games at the start of the season. 

The only mention I could find for him missing a game was this ;

Screenshot2024-02-06at09_12_46.png.64334d37f0c709a101bdf68daf7ab2ca.png

Screenshot2024-02-06at09_17_45.png.40387880bd8a697070a13c0932c41b91.png

I assumed , due to a poor start and several new signings he (as a young player ) had just dropped down the pecking order.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just spent far too long trawling Twitter, the Club site and things like the Secret Scout and others. Not a single mention of Work Permits , seems strange. Specially as he had played in 3 games at the start of the season. 

The only mention I could find for him missing a game was this ;

Screenshot2024-02-06at09_12_46.png.64334d37f0c709a101bdf68daf7ab2ca.png

I assumed , due to a poor start and several new signings he (as a young player ) had just dropped down the pecking order.

The obvious thing here to say is why would they lie, and it’s a sad reflection on how the hierarchy are viewed that I think we’re all countenancing that may be a possibility.  It’d be an interesting line for Piercy to follow up though.

Ultimately I don’t care if it was work permit issues, he was injured, couldn’t settle or Westerlo though he was shite. The only thing that matters is if he’s any good for us. If they have embellished things, then that’s the nonsense of it.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The obvious thing here to say is why would they lie, and it’s a sad reflection on how the hierarchy are viewed that I think we’re all countenancing that may be a possibility.  It’d be an interesting line for Piercy to follow up though.

Ultimately I don’t care if it was work permit issues, he was injured, couldn’t settle or Westerlo though he was shite. The only thing that matters is if he’s any good for us. If they have embellished things, then that’s the nonsense of it.

Transfermarkt is a pretty brilliant source & has him on the bench for their last 3 games in January as an unused substitute before he joined.

Otherwise it says he missed 3 games in October/November with a knock but has simply “not been in the squad” otherwise.

That certainly suggests of late at least he was fit to play but not selected, rather than any work permit/Brexit stuff.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It is odd. I don't see a reason for them to lie ,  even if they are feeling a little under pressure not getting a starting striker.  But also you would think a Permit problem would pop up somewhere and they would know that fans would check.

What I did see was a lot of expectation for the lad, some wanting him back at Man City after a year, others expecting him to go for serious money after Westerlo . 
What we have is a young kid with bags of potential who's last move didn't work out , for whatever reason. All we can hope is he settles quickly and kicks on. The squad seems a good friendly group , so with luck he will fit in and blossom 

• Like 10