IGNORED

Completely Arbitrary Transfer Window Ranking

Silvio Dante

- We didn’t really make massive improvements for the now, but I don’t think that was necessary in view of where the season is

- The structures of the Bird and Stokes deals are sensible and allow us to bring in players who we may have be outbid for in the summer wages wise

- The fact we have multiple midfield signings puts the club in a strong position if they want to negotiate with Williams/James - in effect we can stick to a ceiling now we have options

- Try before you buy on Medube

- The only real negative mark is Twine. Not through him as a player, but as has been noted the lack of buy option and likely minimal long term benefit from the deal considering where we are (there is an argument we replaced AWs wages but some of that was also a balance in the TGH deal)

- Didn’t lose anyone bar AW. There are some that I think do need moving on but again, I think that may be better done in the summer 

Decent overall

• Like 16

15 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

- We didn’t really make massive improvements for the now, but I don’t think that was necessary in view of where the season is

- The structures of the Bird and Stokes deals are sensible and allow us to bring in players who we may have be outbid for in the summer wages wise

- The fact we have multiple midfield signings puts the club in a strong position if they want to negotiate with Williams/James - in effect we can stick to a ceiling now we have options

- The only real negative mark is Twine. Not through him as a player, but as has been noted the lack of buy option and likely minimal long term benefit from the deal considering where we are (there is an argument we replaced AWs wages but some of that was also a balance in the TGH deal)

- Didn’t lose anyone bar AW. There are some that I think do need moving on but again, I think that may be better done in the summer 

Decent overall

Regarding Twine he has allowed us the option of loaning Bird back to Derby, Bird will come in to replace him in the summer assuming Burnley want to keep Twine.

• Confused 3
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, ashton_fan said:

Regarding Twine he has allowed us the option of loaning Bird back to Derby, Bird will come in to replace him in the summer assuming Burnley want to keep Twine.

Not sure about that one. Understand the logic but they’re different types of players so isn’t really one that passes muster. Stokes is nearer to Twine positionally 

• Like 3

Twine with his dead ball ability offers that skill which others don't possess. I'd let James and King leave or keep the latter with the coaching team and use their wages to keep Twine. Can we afford the transfer fee, no idea. Will Burnley let him leave after being relegated, no idea. But Twine adds excitement to games and I sit in the Dolman waiting for him to get a free kick close enough to allow him a chance at goal. From what I've seen of his skills he has a good chance to score.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Twine with his dead ball ability offers that skill which others don't possess. I'd let James and King leave or keep the latter with the coaching team and use their wages to keep Twine. Can we afford the transfer fee, no idea. Will Burnley let him leave after being relegated, no idea. But Twine adds excitement to games and I sit in the Dolman waiting for him to get a free kick close enough to allow him a chance at goal. From what I've seen of his skills he has a good chance to score.

Mrs King has told her Instagram followers they are going home (to Leicester).

• Like 2

Really minor in the scheme of things but thought we might see one or two of the 21s with no future (Idehen, Leeson, Kadji) paid up so they can find new clubs.

Also Lewis Thomas the ex FGR keeper was on a contract that ran out in January & no information either way yet on whether he’s gone or being kept on for the season.

Agree with the OP, there was a lot of “typical City” posting yesterday, we won’t sign anyone, why is Bird not announced, etc, but overall a lot of smart business.

I’d have much preferred Bird here straight away but as I obviously wasn’t part of the negotiations have no idea if this was remotely possible.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I must admit I don't know that much about Bird, but they are both midfielders.

They're pretty different in fairness.

Twine central, creative- perhaps even to some degree along the front ie leftish of the 3 behind the striker.

Bird deeper, can occasionally drop to CB, creative but defensively sound but definitely deeper and more central.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They're pretty different in fairness.

Twine central, creative- perhaps even to some degree along the front ie leftish of the 3 behind the striker.

Bird deeper, can occasionally drop to CB, creative but defensively sound but definitely deeper and more central.

Twine central (occasionally leftish) .... Bird more central?

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Decent overall

That is a totally arbitrary mark, SD.

I'm awarding it 6.875.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

At first glance you'd think that if Burnley are relegated they'd keep Twine. But as in all transfers it will depend on the prevailing market. If Burnley believe that they've identified someone better as available they could let him go. The question then would be will we pay the asking price. Time will tell. 

As for this window I'd give it 7 or even 8 out of 10. We were never going to splash the cash but we've done some sensible business for now and the next season ahead. Just have to hope that our loan curse doesn't arise again and that those we've loaned back don't pick up a, serious injury that will see them miss preseason 2024/25.

Finally, while wages are a factor, of the King, James, Williams triumvirate I'd prefer to keep James. Murphy and Stokes are very young and both Gardner-Hickman and Bird are close enough to student age that they could benefit from Matty's experience. 

• Like 2

7 probably.

I would say how if at all does this impact upon expectations and hopes for the remainder for rhe season?

Some decent additions albeit relatively late, injury situation night and day compared to the Autumn..or is it too far back to hope for anything other than a Cup run. Does the January window move the dial at all?

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Decent overall

On Twine, is there any obvious reason for Burnley pulling him from Hull and loaning him out to another Championship side? I’m just hopeful that you can read something between the lines in that, even if there’s nothing in writing. But maybe that’s reading too much into it!

20 minutes ago, italian dave said:

On Twine, is there any obvious reason for Burnley pulling him from Hull and loaning him out to another Championship side? I’m just hopeful that you can read something between the lines in that, even if there’s nothing in writing. But maybe that’s reading too much into it!

I think as simple as Hull needing to free up loan slots. They’ve got six on loan that I can see and he wouldn’t have got a game, so a bit of protecting value

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WECANDO said:

This is deffo something we've missed too, like when was the last time anyone remembers us scoring from a direct free kick? As a teenager I remember seeing Mickey Bell, Tinnion and numerous others scoring from free kicks, now when we get one I don't get excited at all, would be nice to get a permanent threat on direct free kicks, also allows us to threaten the opposition by running at them if they fear giving away free kicks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think as simple as Hull needing to free up loan slots. They’ve got six on loan that I can see and he wouldn’t have got a game, so a bit of protecting value

Yes, and PL clubs have restrictions on loans abroad.  Putting 2 and 2 together to make 5, getting Twine to us and then Zaroury to Hull, meant they had opportunity for someone else to be loaned abroad.

3 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Remains to be seen, but unless either of these 3 young uns turn into the next scott, then i dont think our transfer dealings merit much more than a 5/10, no new striker in, if anything happens to conway then we are really down to wells and thats it.

Guess this comes down to - how are you arbitrarily ranking this window.

In many respects you’re right, judging on its likely impact on the remaining 17 games is gonna score less than judging this window over a longer period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Finally, while wages are a factor, of the King, James, Williams triumvirate I'd prefer to keep James. Murphy and Stokes are very young and both Gardner-Hickman and Bird are close enough to student age that they could benefit from Matty's experience. 

Twine will be 25 next season so plenty of experience there if he stays.

Either way Bird & Knight, at 23, have plenty of Championship experience, Knight having almost 150 apps at this level and Bird 100 within a career total of almost 200.

So they could both be considered experienced now despite their age and are battle hardened to the rigours of the Championship.

Gardner- Hickman, a year younger than Knight and Bird, also has 75 Championship appearances under his belt.

As for experience age wise, if KIng, James and Williams depart the likes of Naismith, Wells & Cornick would be the senior pros, with Dickie, Atkinson, McCrorie, Vyner and Pring in their mid 20's, plus any we may bring in of course.

With what we've got coming in I expect the club to be entirely pragmatic as regards high earners Williams and James, perhaps one of the two will be offered a new contract on reduced terms but if the club take this route they will do so in the full knowledge it may be rejected.

So they'll be very much prepared for a changing of the (old) guard and I don't think the club will be too concerned about a lack of experienced players should the player decide he'll be better off elsewhere.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, WECANDO said:

If Burnley go down they won’t sell twine. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Twine will be 25 next season so plenty of experience there if he stays.

Either way Bird & Knight, at 23, have plenty of Championship experience, Knight having almost 150 apps at this level and Bird 100 within a career total of almost 200.

So they could both be considered experienced now despite their age and are battle hardened to the rigours of the Championship.

Gardner- Hickman, a year younger than Knight and Bird, also has 75 Championship appearances under his belt.

As for experience age wise, if KIng, James and Williams depart the likes of Naismith, Wells & Cornick would be the senior pros, with Dickie, Atkinson, McCrorie, Vyner and Pring in their mid 20's, plus any we may bring in of course.

With what we've got coming in I expect the club to be entirely pragmatic as regards high earners Williams and James, perhaps one of the two will be offered a new contract on reduced terms but if the club take this route they will do so in the full knowledge it may be rejected.

So they'll be very much prepared for a changing of the (old) guard and I don't think the club will be too concerned about a lack of experienced players should the player decide he'll be better off elsewhere.

I guess the point you’re making is that age and experience aren’t always the same thing….i agree.  As you say, plenty of championship experience in several of our young players.

What is important is whether they drive standards or follow others.  That’s where Nahki, Kingy, Jamo, Andi have been worth their weight in gold, without discussing their merits on the pitch (which we will all have different opinions on).  It appears from anecdotes that Knight is a driver of standards (a leader?).  Looks like McCrorie is one too.

So, if you have the right characters here, or recruit them, there is an opportunity to run a younger (and often younger = cheaper) squad.  There is also a potential boost in fitness / availability, younger players tend to be available more than older players.

• Like 2