IGNORED

Completely Arbitrary Transfer Window Ranking

Silvio Dante

10 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

My only hope, and I think that it's the way we've done things in the past, is that is an option to buy and not an obligation as is sometimes the case. Was it confirmed that that is the case?

Can’t remember Tins exact words, was trying to listen against the stupidly loud AG sound system.  Pretty sure he said “it’s ready to go if we want to”.

KVC confirmed “option”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm trying to get my head around this transfer window.

Tinnion described it as "excellent" or words to that effect.

Well let's break it down. We are operating on a really small squad and Manning spoke last week about 7 games in 23 days.

We signed TGH on a perm (was already here anyhow)

Stokes and Bird were signed and then loaned straight back to their clubs as part of the deal.

Murphy was signed and then we were told he would need a pre season to get up to first team level.

Dire arrived yesterday  a 19 year old with a grand total of 3 senior appearances.

Twine of course, is unfortunate as picking up an injury after 1 game (the curse of the 1 game loanee Vedika, Elobi, and Sam Vokes spring to mind)

I'm struggling to see how the squad is in anyway stronger in February, than it was a month ago.

God knows when Twine will be back. I'm still waiting on the Sykes "few weeks" or the Atkinson "training with the 1st team again for months" to even make it onto our bench.

Still want to ask LM as well why he feels the wing back system is the one for us, as we haven't won in the league since implementing it (was a 442 at Watford)

And don't get me started on Tinnion talking about a "great summer ahead" is basically saying "this season is over". Well only 16 games to go and we've literally given up already in a way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I'm trying to get my head around this transfer window.

Tinnion described it as "excellent" or words to that effect.

Well let's break it down. We are operating on a really small squad and Manning spoke last week about 7 games in 23 days.

We signed TGH on a perm (was already here anyhow)

Stokes and Bird were signed and then loaned straight back to their clubs as part of the deal.

Murphy was signed and then we were told he would need a pre season to get up to first team level.

Dire arrived yesterday  a 19 year old with a grand total of 3 senior appearances.

Twine of course, is unfortunate as picking up an injury after 1 game (the curse of the 1 game loanee Vedika, Elobi, and Sam Vokes spring to mind)

I'm struggling to see how the squad is in anyway stronger in February, than it was a month ago.

God knows when Twine will be back. I'm still waiting on the Sykes "few weeks" or the Atkinson "training with the 1st team again for months" to even make it onto our bench.

Still want to ask LM as well why he feels the wing back system is the one for us, as we haven't won in the league since implementing it (was a 442 at Watford)

And don't get me started on Tinnion talking about a "great summer ahead" is basically saying "this season is over". Well only 16 games to go and we've literally given up already in a way.

It’s quite simple, Tinnion is judging this window on a different basis to you.

He's looking longer term than you.  I thought it was a good interview (must listen again), explained lots of things, and even accounting for how bullish he is on everything Bristol City, I see a good plan and a decent execution in this window.  The proof will be the performance of the players over time.  But for me, he seems to be continuing the good work that has been building over 2 years.

Now of course, what about the here and now…and you’re bang-on to critique it.  That seems to be - Twine was our hope. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s quite simple, Tinnion is judging this window on a different basis to you.

He's looking longer term than you.  I thought it was a good interview (must listen again), explained lots of things, and even accounting for how bullish he is on everything Bristol City, I see a good plan and a decent execution in this window.  The proof will be the performance of the players over time.  But for me, he seems to be continuing the good work that has been building over 2 years.

Now of course, what about the here and now…and you’re bang-on to critique it.  That seems to be - Twine was our hope. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

My issue was him saying "we now know what we need/want" didn't we know before this window? Why do we suddenly know now? 

It's interesting that the Semenyo money is now available to spend! Wasn't we led to believe that it had already been spent? I do wonder why the Semenyo money wasn't available in the summer when it was clear we needed another cb even of it were only a loan. That decision cost us and now we're pretty much having to write the season off. 

He said that our main target is a big strong physical quick number 9 in the summer. I don't know Dave. He framed it as if that's the missing part of the puzzle and it's why were not scoring goals. I could undertake that argument if we were creating the opportunities but we're not. I don't want to keep saying this but it is the elephant in the room, how does signing players fit with the stated objectives of Manning coaching our players to out perform their ability? I've said before that it's reminiscing of LJ constantly saying "I need one more player" if this no 9 comes in and still doesn't score where do we go then? Sign more creative players because that's then the problem?.

The argument that I keep coming back to is how do we play with two strikers. Because that's what we'd need to do if Tommy stays. I ain't no fan of this 3 at the back to play 2 strikers. 

I don't know what Brian Tinnion has been watching but judging by his description of how we're playing, it's not the same games as me! 

But as I've said before, the one thing I praise the club on is our recruitment. We don't make many bad signings. I may disagree with the positions we need strengthening but I know that whoever we do bring in will be decent. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My issue was him saying "we now know what we need/want" didn't we know before this window? Why do we suddenly know now?

I think you’re taking that out of context.  He’s basically saying that you can only know what yoyre after in the summer once the winter is done.  As you heard him say they tried to get players that didn’t come off.  That’s quite refreshing.  Becayse usually every manager of DoF / HoR says they got their no1 choices, and we know that’s bollox.  Sometimes when you don’t get who you want in one window you hold off until the next window when the pool of players or the availability of a player changes.

It's interesting that the Semenyo money is now available to spend! Wasn't we led to believe that it had already been spent? I do wonder why the Semenyo money wasn't available in the summer when it was clear we needed another cb even of it were only a loan. That decision cost us and now we're pretty much having to write the season off.

That was the biggest contradiction wasn’t it.  But we already knew they “sabotaged” Nige at the end of the summer window.  Poor / awful ownership from all those above Nige.  I still don’t know if Tins is a snake, but I do know he isn’t in charge of the money, so he was only be carrying out orders in August.  I still blame JL and SL.  If Tins is complicit so be it, but still not his making imho.  But I’m prepared to be wrong on this.

He said that our main target is a big strong physical quick number 9 in the summer. I don't know Dave. He framed it as if that's the missing part of the puzzle and it's why were not scoring goals. I could undertake that argument if we were creating the opportunities but we're not. I don't want to keep saying this but it is the elephant in the room, how does signing players fit with the stated objectives of Manning coaching our players to out perform their ability? I've said before that it's reminiscing of LJ constantly saying "I need one more player" if this no 9 comes in and still doesn't score where do we go then? Sign more creative players because that's then the problem?.

Firstly he says he wants a 9 and a 10, we all know creativity is a collective though, so not a simple case of they’ll solve the problems.  My bigger question is - is that a 9 to play with Tommy or not?

i’m assuming not, because he hasn’t tried Cornick with Tommy (he hasn’t even tried Wells with Tommy as a pair either).

The rest of this season will prove whether the plan (on the pitch) is being made up as we go along.

The “coaching rather than recruiting” argument I don’t buy, sorry.  Every manager brings players in, regardless of the type of manager they are.  But I do buy the fact that Nige was happy to forego bringing in a player (because we couldn’t afford one) so reached out to the Academy…and kept results ticking over with scant resources.  That is the real context (for me) of the LM v NP debate.  And we will know a lot more about LM now the window is shut.

The argument that I keep coming back to is how do we play with two strikers. Because that's what we'd need to do if Tommy stays. I ain't no fan of this 3 at the back to play 2 strikers.

and we don’t even play a forward pair with a back 3!!!

if Tommy is to leave in the summer I’d be trying my hardest to get his value up by finding a way to get him goals.  Not stifling him.

And if I wanted Tommy to stay, I’d be trying my hardest to get his to sign by finding a way to get him goals.  Not stifling him.

I don't know what Brian Tinnion has been watching but judging by his description of how we're playing, it's not the same games as me!

PR!!!

But as I've said before, the one thing I praise the club on is our recruitment. We don't make many bad signings. I may disagree with the positions we need strengthening but I know that whoever we do bring in will be decent. 

⬆️⬆️⬆️

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This may be very true and in any normal season, the long term development of the squad is not an issue, infact its welcomed. This season however, the comments made in the wake of NP's sacking will hang like a noose around his neck. "Top 6 Squad" and "Should be doing better with the players we have" etc. If what was really needed was the long term continued development of young players to carry the club further forward and higher in the table (Another attempt at the Lansdown Plan) then great, but what would be the difference doing that under a new manager to doing it under the one we already had?

This was a long term transfer window. It clearly shows once again, the top six bollocks spoken about 3 months ago, was just that. BS. Another season goes by where we are in a holding patter while we wait to blend in the new lads and bring them up to speed.

Back to the topic of the thread, we did some decent transfer business in this window but nothing that's going to see in the short term. As long as we understand that then we are all good.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Back to the topic of the thread, we did some decent transfer business in this window but nothing that's going to see in the short term. As long as we understand that then we are all good.

I agree.

Short term its a 5/10 with Weimann out and Twine in.

Longer term, some good acquisitions which will hopefully pay off 7/10.

• Like 3

On 02/02/2024 at 10:38, Silvio Dante said:

- We didn’t really make massive improvements for the now, but I don’t think that was necessary in view of where the season is

- The structures of the Bird and Stokes deals are sensible and allow us to bring in players who we may have be outbid for in the summer wages wise

- The fact we have multiple midfield signings puts the club in a strong position if they want to negotiate with Williams/James - in effect we can stick to a ceiling now we have options

- Try before you buy on Medube

- The only real negative mark is Twine. Not through him as a player, but as has been noted the lack of buy option and likely minimal long term benefit from the deal considering where we are (there is an argument we replaced AWs wages but some of that was also a balance in the TGH deal)

- Didn’t lose anyone bar AW. There are some that I think do need moving on but again, I think that may be better done in the summer 

Decent overall

Yeah makes sense. Time will tell