IGNORED

Tins on RB

Tomo

On 03/02/2024 at 12:43, TV Tom said:

Personally think this has been a decent window certainly compared to a year ago, who had the bright idea of brining Cornick in and wasting a million on Memheti last January?

Nige I would imagine as he was manager.

• Flames 1

29 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Couldn’t agree more. Fine to argue about whether or not Pearson/Rennie/James/King were getting the job done, but having some folk around with PL experience seems likely to be helpful! And King isn’t a fancy dan, his unique record of L1/Championship/PL winning with the same club says to me that giving up that unique experience is foolhardy, particularly given he’s a City fan as well. Also agree he’s going, but think it’s a poor decision.  

whos to say that King would buy into tinnions philosophies anyway, he might not enjoy being around anymore

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

At the time that was probably the best value in the market and remmeber we were netting off big time vs FFP, only able to add once Semenyo sold in all probability.

Mehmeti started with some promise without doubt, Cornick at Luton appears to have been a very different prospect to here.

What's the point though now we are going with a manifestly unsuitable shape.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

I'm ready for it.  Lots of rose tinted glasses incoming.

Wasn't it Tinnion that said his team will go out and find the players and then present their recommendation to the manager?   

Edited by Graham76
typo
  • Like 3
  • Flames 2

30 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

19 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Oh dear, get your tin hat ready for the backlash 

Depends how you want to look at it, who also brought in Dickie, Sykes, Knight, TGH over the last few windows?

Oh I forgot, every club in the world gets every transfer absolutely right 🤣🤣🤣

In either positive or negative way fans want to look at it, players were/are identified & brought in by Tinnion and the recruitment team (incl Gillespie). Signings are No longer under manager/head coach remit. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 6

On 03/02/2024 at 12:43, TV Tom said:

Personally think this has been a decent window certainly compared to a year ago, who had the bright idea of brining Cornick in and wasting a million on Memheti last January?

I mean it was Manning who likes Mehmeti and wanted to sign him before we beat Oxford to it. I can see talent in Mehmeti but his decision making needs to mature and fast and with Cornick I see a guy giving 100% but getting abuse because he doesn't score, yet all of our strikers can't score at the moment and a lot of our fans are blaming them when they've got no service what so ever. 

WBA took on Andi, played him as a striker which I've seen saying is his best position that we only played him in for one season and then they have him service and instantly he scores. 

Our strikers are not the issue, the lack of service they get is the issue and I honestly think Conway will go in the summer and will be sorting regularly and even Cornick would get goals in a team with service. 

I'm really starting to worry about some of our fans, attacking Max for anything they can, the second the bloke makes a mistake it's all daggers but when he's saving us points it's "that's his job". He's another I'd like to see move on just so he can be appreciated because I think he would be. 

At the end of the day our problems are in our lack of creativity, we can do the basics but we have no flair or punch on the ball. When we were under Pearson he identified that issue and developed a fast counter attacking system to create chances using the pace of our players because he knew the creativity was lacking. Manning has come in and got us playing lovely passing football but it disguises the fact that we have no end product or creativity in the final third. We've also seen that when the opposition plays our own style against us we can become pinned back and fail to make our way up the pitch due to that lack of flair on the ball. 

When I look at other teams there is usually something about them that makes them dangerous, I don't see that with us. We can't supply our striker/s, we cross but have no threat in the air unless it's a set piece, we struggle to create space around the box, we're unable to make those small intricate passes in the opposition area that cause panic and we don't have a single later that excites the crowd when they get on the ball. 

If we lose to Forest I'm interested to see how the players react as that'll be the season done for them. If I were Manning I'd be very concerned about going into next season with morale down, fans interested lower and the board having to deal with the potential losses of Conway and Pring. Pring for me is a mid level Premier League player and staying here will prevent him from progressing, he's by far the best player we have and I can't see us holding onto him. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

Wasn't it Tinnion that said his team will go out and find the players and then present their recommendation to the manager?   

Probably but a "recommendation" still puts the ball in Nige's course to decide.

I personally wouldn't judge that window anyway as there was no money to spend until AS was sold. Cornick was a gamble and Anis on paper could have been cracking signing.

I was just answering TV Tom's question.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t get me wrong I don’t see him staying on either…Mrs King’s insta infers that it’s already decided.

I just think it’s a bad decision.

But whose decision. I feel King and Tinnion don't exactly get on.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

21 hours ago, INCRED said:

I was being sarcastic, I’m seriously wondering if I will see us play in the Prem before I meet my maker 

I don't believe we'll see City in the PL while the Lansdowns are in charge. SL has shown he can be decisive and ambitious in terms of the stadium, training ground etc, just wish he could be the same when it comes to the manager/squad etc. Pearson said we were a 'passive' club, sadly that appears to be the case. Until that changes, mid-table (at best) Championship club is the best I feel we can realistically expect. Of course, it could be a lot worse. My wife is a Reading ST holder....!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

I mean it was Manning who likes Mehmeti and wanted to sign him before we beat Oxford to it. I can see talent in Mehmeti but his decision making needs to mature and fast and with Cornick I see a guy giving 100% but getting abuse because he doesn't score, yet all of our strikers can't score at the moment and a lot of our fans are blaming them when they've got no service what so ever. 

WBA took on Andi, played him as a striker which I've seen saying is his best position that we only played him in for one season and then they have him service and instantly he scores. 

Our strikers are not the issue, the lack of service they get is the issue and I honestly think Conway will go in the summer and will be sorting regularly and even Cornick would get goals in a team with service. 

I'm really starting to worry about some of our fans, attacking Max for anything they can, the second the bloke makes a mistake it's all daggers but when he's saving us points it's "that's his job". He's another I'd like to see move on just so he can be appreciated because I think he would be. 

At the end of the day our problems are in our lack of creativity, we can do the basics but we have no flair or punch on the ball. When we were under Pearson he identified that issue and developed a fast counter attacking system to create chances using the pace of our players because he knew the creativity was lacking. Manning has come in and got us playing lovely passing football but it disguises the fact that we have no end product or creativity in the final third. We've also seen that when the opposition plays our own style against us we can become pinned back and fail to make our way up the pitch due to that lack of flair on the ball. 

When I look at other teams there is usually something about them that makes them dangerous, I don't see that with us. We can't supply our striker/s, we cross but have no threat in the air unless it's a set piece, we struggle to create space around the box, we're unable to make those small intricate passes in the opposition area that cause panic and we don't have a single later that excites the crowd when they get on the ball. 

If we lose to Forest I'm interested to see how the players react as that'll be the season done for them. If I were Manning I'd be very concerned about going into next season with morale down, fans interested lower and the board having to deal with the potential losses of Conway and Pring. Pring for me is a mid level Premier League player and staying here will prevent him from progressing, he's by far the best player we have and I can't see us holding onto him. 

Not sure about that, his 39 goals in 8 years suggests otherwise

12 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Not sure about that, his 39 goals in 8 years suggests otherwise

I'm not saying he'd be prolific, but he'd score, something he's failing to do here because it's on him to create his own chances. 

Even with his low scoring rate his goals to games ratio was still higher at Luton than it is with us, the reason being he got chances at Luton, here he's largely had to create his own. I'm not saying the bloke is a goalscorer, for me he's best in a front 2 creating space for his partner and doing the grunt work. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Probably but a "recommendation" still puts the ball in Nige's course to decide.

I personally wouldn't judge that window anyway as there was no money to spend until AS was sold. Cornick was a gamble and Anis on paper could have been cracking signing.

I was just answering TV Tom's question.

Depends on which other players were also "recommended" doesn't it?

Something of course that we will never know...

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Spike said:

Is it terribly naive to ask the question, if he had his best season, playing in his best position, (which I totally agree with), why when we have the personnel in the team to allow that to happen now, we haven’t. I know there’s the issue of supply but we’ve not even tried it consistently.

Surely no matter what LM’s game plan is the evidence of Andi’s success, is there for all to see. You can guarantee WBA know that’s where best to play him. 

Edited by JP Hampton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think he’s missing a huge trick in not keeping King around.

Assuming James goes, he is the one person in the whole of the club with PL nous, how to get to the PL, and what makes a PL player.  A city fan too!

It would make sense to retain that in whatever shape and form he can….hes low cost.  He has his badges, he might even bring practical experience to a head-coach who’s never played professionally, a coach-analyst (Krause) who hasn’t either and the assistant (Hogg) who had a minor career at Hibs.  He’d also provide that young player / new signing mentoring, he is young at heart too.  And although his legs may have gone when he has played he’s shown that the brain is just as important.

But I can understand the threat of a Nige-man in the camp.  Although the best teams handle that for the good if the team.  Good teams like challenge, weak teams have followers.  I sense that Manning, Hogg and Krause are so aligned they may not see the things that an “outsider” might.

Maybe Kingy doesn’t want to stay.

From the outside looking in it looks like an error.

Agree 100%. Been thinking the same for a while but was waiting to post.

Imagine having a player in the building who knows what it takes to win promotion from the Championship and who knows what it takes to play in the Premiership. In short, a player who's already achieved precisely what we're trying to achieve.

He's been there and done it - no, wait, he's been there and won it.

And you let that player walk out the door.

Imagine that player is a boyhood fan of your club, so he might just be desperate for success, it might be more than just a job for him.

And if you're building a team filled mostly with promising young uns, imagine having someone like that in the building to inspire and mentor you (see the way he looked after Scott & Conway).

Then imagine letting that player walk out the door.

Football is a small world where who you know is as important as what you know. I'll wager King's little black book of contacts knocks Tinnion's into a cooked hat.

We've got an international, Premier league winning player in the building who just happens to also be a supporter. Never happened before and unlikely to ever happen again, I'd wager.

And we're happy to let all that knowledge and experience walk out the door.

I'm not one for cosy jobs for the boys but, on this occasion, it's the height of stupidity not to find a role for Andy King.

If he wanted a role of course. But all the indications are that he's being allowed to walk out the door without being offered any sort of role going forward. If not the case - communicate that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

22 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Is it terribly naive to ask the question, if he had his best season, playing in his best position, (which I totally agree with), why when we have the personnel in the team to allow that to happen now, we haven’t. I know there’s the issue of supply but we’ve not even tried it consistently.

Surely no matter what LM’s game plan is the evidence of Andi’s success, is there for all to see. You can guarantee WBA know that’s where best to play him. 

Conway, Bell, Cornick, Wells... all of these players best position is striker, Andi was far more versatile so at the expense of him playing in his best position he was moved around because he's a team player and willing to do it. I have a feeling Wells and Conway are probably more vocal about playing in that central role, Weimann always hit me as willing to do what was needed which is why I respect him as a person but as a player he should have said "I want that striker role", I mean who knows, maybe he did and was told no but whatever it was we prioritised Conway and Wells ahead of him and used his willingness to play him in other positions. What concerns me is that no-one was willing to go against that decision and say "Andi will score goals in the middle with supply".

• Like 3

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

So with the signings we've made, does this mean that the likes of Omar Taylor-Clarke and Marlee Francois aren't expected to be good enough in the next 12 months.

Correct unless we are going back to stockpiling players again. It's so easy to see friction appearing down the line between a Manager that hasn't shown any evidence so far that he is willing to put trust in youngsters and a Technical Director who tells everyone that listens that the next "Class of 92" is on it's way.............

It would have been interesting to see Manning's management of Alex Scott.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

So with the signings we've made, does this mean that the likes of Omar Taylor-Clarke and Marlee Francois aren't expected to be good enough in the next 12 months.

I think that means the likes of OTC and Francois won't be here in 12 months time (OOC I think).

As @TomSutton went through in the FBC pod the club see the Academy in 3 year cycles. As such anybody in the under 21s not currently in the first team frame is pretty much surplus to requirements (Other than Seb at Newport).

The Academy will be focusing on the Under 18s (5th round of Fa youth cup) as the new kids in the block and be looking to push them through into the first team fold.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Imagine having a player in the building who knows what it takes to win promotion from the Championship and who knows what it takes to play in the Premiership. In short, a player who's already achieved precisely what we're trying to achieve.

But a player too closely associated with Pearson and who, because of his experience and knowledge, is seen as a potential obstacle to one or more of the hierarchy perhaps?

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Graham76 said:

Endorsed by Manning recently where he said that is the only part he becomes involved in.