IGNORED

Bob Taylor

Bobtherobin

1 hour ago, JAWS said:

Just checked and it was 4-1 v Crewe. After that we only won 2 out of the last 7 including that horrible night at Twerton, which was the rearranged game after they threw the original fixture earlier in the year! 

Other fond Bob memories being Swansea & Fulham away

Pretty sure the earlier match was postponed because saying boneheads decided to set fire to the stadium. We'd have beaten them off played on the original day, so I blame the bell ends with the lighters. 

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

The best player Ive ever seen in a city shirt doesn't have anything to remember him by at the gate. Its not right. He was better than Carey and Murray. Fact 

To be fair, the best player that I've ever seen play for City was Andy Cole (but I get your point, Taylor was incredible and my first favourite player). I still remember Cole rocking up on loan 10 games or so from the end of a season and destroying defences. They weren't in the same league.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yozzarian said:

To be fair, the best player that I've ever seen play for City was Andy Cole (but I get your point, Taylor was incredible and my first favourite player). I still remember Cole rocking up on loan 10 games or so from the end of a season and destroying defences. They weren't in the same league.

It was amazing wasnt it, still remember his movement, he got into so many goal scoring positions he should have scored more through his career but for City he was class.

COLE NOT GAS.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Pretty sure the earlier match was postponed because saying boneheads decided to set fire to the stadium. We'd have beaten them off played on the original day, so I blame the bell ends with the lighters. 

I thought it was a waterlogged pitch, can’t remember if it was due to the weather or them leaving the hose on overnight- or both

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, adamski said:

I thought it was a waterlogged pitch, can’t remember if it was due to the weather or them leaving the hose on overnight- or both

It was, the fire was in 1990 after we were promoted.

No disrespect to Carey but nobody makes a case for him being one of our best ever players, do they? He's rightly acknowledged as our record appearance holder and someone who was a fixture of our side for a long, long time but I don't think many people, if anyone, would have him in their all-time Bristol City XI. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JAWS said:

Our loss was definitely WBA's gain. Gutted when we let him go 😭 Would've won the title that fateful year if he hadn't got injured in the run. The sags couldn't believe their luck. Scored a worldie v crewe, think we won 4-2 & he done his hamstring in the process? 

I remember when he limped off @ Bolton early and with that the title was gone . Met him on a few occasions and what a lovely guy . Didn’t think he was good enough to step up while here but proved me wrong elsewhere . 
His hat trick at the Vetch was a great night and one my best away days, locals not best pleased with the result 😉

• Robin 1

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

No disrespect to Carey but nobody makes a case for him being one of our best ever players, do they? He's rightly acknowledged as our record appearance holder and someone who was a fixture of our side for a long, long time but I don't think many people, if anyone, would have him in their all-time Bristol City XI. 

Taylor surely wouldn't be in anyone's either? Good player but lots were better.

• Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Super said:

I think he really captured the imaginations of people of a certain age. I was slightly too young or got into football slightly too late - he left for West Brom not long at all after I became interested in City but I know people a year or two older than me who'd see him as their favourite ever striker. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

45 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think he really captured the imaginations of people of a certain age. I was slightly too young or got into football slightly too late - he left for West Brom not long at all after I became interested in City but I know people a year or two older than me who'd see him as their favourite ever striker. 

Oh yes he was a fans favourite for sure.

14 hours ago, adamski said:

You are joking!!!! Unless you only watched a couple of seasons😂 Before he left he really was Average Bob!

Specsavers have some good deals?    Unfortunately it's too late for you......the only thing Average about Super Bob...was his goal scoring average of 1 goal in every 2 games!   P.S.  Happy Birthday Bob, for Saturday 3rd Feb !!

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Even a City XI on ability from the start of his career to now wouldn't see him in there. Shaun Taylor, Caulker, Webster and Flint would probably be ahead of him in the pecking order.

Committed as he was (ignoring the time he went off to Cov and then had to back), I do think it's a bit sad that he was allowed to become the clubs record appearance maker ahead of the clubs number one legend.

Edit - he might have a better chance of being picked in his younger RB role tbf.

Edited by Randy Marsh II
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

43 minutes ago, Randy Marsh II said:

Even a City XI on ability from the start of his career to now wouldn't see him in there. Shaun Taylor, Caulker, Webster and Flint would probably be ahead of him in the pecking order.

Committed as he was (ignoring the time he went off to Cov and then had to back), I do think it's a bit sad that he was allowed to become the clubs record appearance maker ahead of the clubs number one legend.

Edit - he might have a better chance of being picked in his younger RB role tbf.

Sure - but it would have been a bit petty for the club to deny the appearances too (although, if memory serves, he ended up being extended for one more season than I would have probably kept him on for).

I think the pragmatic reality for most recent club "legends" - especially the ones from the late 90s and early 200s when we were mostly in League One - is the amount of time they spent with us was partly a sign of loyalty and partly a sign that more successful clubs didn't covet their services. 

Super Bob provided me with one of the best moments that I treasure to this day and will do until I depart - it was the 25 yard half volley against Crewe shortly before pulling up lame. Stood with the old man in the east end, the goal elicited a reaction from him that I’d never seen before - to say he was chuffed with the goal is a drastic under-reaction! Such treasured times. 

great player. Was still young at the time so memories hazy but I think he struggled with the step up in class to what is now the Championship although he still got double figures in the first season up. Still gutted to this day that we sold him though. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JAWS said:

Just checked and it was 4-1 v Crewe. After that we only won 2 out of the last 7 including that horrible night at Twerton, which was the rearranged game after they threw the original fixture earlier in the year! 

Other fond Bob memories being Swansea & Fulham away

I was at that 4-1 game. I was stood in the East End, where he scored that worldie. At the end of the match, it seemed like the whole stadium was chanting his name. A real goosebumps moment

16 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Can I ask we put more detail in the thread title, like “Not Dead” - my heart skipped a beat for a moment!

15 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I had the same thought 

15 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

100%. 

20 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Me too

I had the same thought. And then I remembered ……

IMG_4753.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

Super Bob provided me with one of the best moments that I treasure to this day and will do until I depart - it was the 25 yard half volley against Crewe shortly before pulling up lame. Stood with the old man in the east end, the goal elicited a reaction from him that I’d never seen before - to say he was chuffed with the goal is a drastic under-reaction! Such treasured times. 

great player. Was still young at the time so memories hazy but I think he struggled with the step up in class to what is now the Championship although he still got double figures in the first season up. Still gutted to this day that we sold him though. 

I remember that so well!! It was extraordinary, that after completing a glorious hat trick, his hamstring went, and so did our chances of being Champions?   I was also  at Bolton when Bob tried his very very best to conjure something up, but he was strapped up to protect his hamstring, and just couldn't do it?    I am utterly convinced that if he had NOT become injured....we would have won the League that season................Gas won it by default IMO?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Super said:

I’m not sure about ‘lots’ or even many 

If you are talking about centre forwards he’s right in the mix IMO

Hold up play and work away from goal was ok/decent , reasonably physical and opponents knew he’d been playing , but he was a very good goal scorer and notably a scorer of every type of goal , six yard slide in’s , with his head , from 25 yards , off the floor or on the volley

If he lacked anything much it was the zip of pace , he lacked any real pace , that would have taken him to another level.

But as an all round centre forward , takes some beating

His record speaks for itself

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I’m not sure about ‘lots’ or even many 

If you are talking about centre forwards he’s right in the mix IMO

Hold up play and work away from goal was ok/decent , reasonably physical and opponents knew he’d been playing , but he was a very good goal scorer and notably a scorer of every type of goal , six yard slide in’s , with his head , from 25 yards , off the floor or on the volley

If he lacked anything much it was the zip of pace , he lacked any real pace , that would have taken him to another level.

But as an all round centre forward , takes some beating

His record speaks for itself

His record afterwards too!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

His record afterwards too!

What I was referring to really Dave , although he was quite brilliant for us , his longevity / consistent record and return speaks for itself 

He hit the ball harder than %99 of City players I’ve seen 
Nicky Maynard another 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

It was amazing wasnt it, still remember his movement, he got into so many goal scoring positions he should have scored more through his career but for City he was class.

COLE NOT GAS.

Fourth highest scorer in the Prem and a legend at both Newcastle and Man Utd. Only his England record would be a disappointment to him, I'd imagine. 55 goals in 70 games for the Toon is incredible and 93 in 195 for Man Utd is excellent.